FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Travel Package General Discussion Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1928972-travel-package-general-discussion-thread.html)

Amitbe11 Mar 1, 2019 12:35 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif (Post 30834283)
Step 1 - Look for the corresponding 45k refund from a cancelled OC5. (+ email)
Step 2 -If you can't find it, look for an OC5 in your account since you might have won the lottery and kept the OC as well as being basically gifted the NC.
Step 3 - Call Marriott and get your 45k refund double-checked

1. There is no email and 45k have never been refunded , just deducted.
2. A 7 night certificate is still showing under my certificate list.
I have also supposly a 7 night reservation with a certificate attached to it. That is confirmed by a Marriott call center agent. The reservation is for end of this week.

since I started with only one 7 night certificate , it might be an actual case where I won the lottery? The lottery ticket cost me 45000 points..but well worth 7 nights at one of bangkoks cat 4 Marriotts.

I have called the Marriott call center 4 or 5 times. No agent could really understand what I wanted from them although I speak English.

:)

exploreaswego Mar 1, 2019 7:40 am

Originally Posted by Amitbe11 (Post 30834366)

1. There is no email and 45k have never been refunded , just deducted.
2. A 7 night certificate is still showing under my certificate list.
I have also supposly a 7 night reservation with a certificate attached to it. That is confirmed by a Marriott call center agent. The reservation is for end of this week.

since I started with only one 7 night certificate , it might be an actual case where I won the lottery? The lottery ticket cost me 45000 points..but well worth 7 nights at one of bangkoks cat 4 Marriotts.

I have called the Marriott call center 4 or 5 times. No agent could really understand what I wanted from them although I speak English.

:)

This is strange, you should not be charged another 45k. If anything, the agent should remove your 7 night cert and you get the reservation. That's it. Well at least, that's what happened to mine. The activity shown, 7 night cert removed, reservation confirmed with an e-cert.

Come to think of it, you actually gained from this mistake, and won another cert for another 7 nights. Honestly, 45k for 7 nights (25k x 6) at a CAT 4 is a score!

tth6133 Mar 1, 2019 7:58 am

Points activities as displayed by Marriott on its website are sometimes beyond confusion, especially when cancellation/changes of TPs are involved. This is even true prior to the merger and obviously it's getting worse post merger. Marriott's IT is horrendous and it simply CAN'T be 100% relied upon to track your points correctly. We, unfortunately, have to track our points balance ourselves. Pretty sad state of affairs.

Happy Mar 1, 2019 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by tth6133 (Post 30835254)
Points activities as displayed by Marriott on its website are sometimes beyond confusion, especially when cancellation/changes of TPs are involved. This is even true prior to the merger and obviously it's getting worse post merger. Marriott's IT is horrendous and it simply CAN'T be 100% relied upon to track your points correctly. We, unfortunately, have to track our points balance ourselves. Pretty sad state of affairs.

The line entries in the account activity are not to be relied upon because they are not accurate and often disappeared after showing up for a few days.

What everyone should do is keep track of the total balance in one's account, with whatever method used, even just a note pad doing the basic addition and subtraction.

I currently have 14 or 15 reservations for a long trip later this year, plus will add another 5 to 6 reservations for a trip in Apr-May. Needless to say there are changes / cancellations on award bookings made.

Each and every single time when I make any booking that would affect the account balance, I have a screen before and after, as well as a lhandwritten list on the activities with a running total.
As long as the balance online agrees with the balance I kept the record, I am fine with it. I no longer look for the account activities because that would only cause confusion.

susieling Mar 2, 2019 12:13 am

Have a 7-night "category 4" TP already attached to a reservation later this year in Dec, this hotel will increase to category 5 after March 5, also my reservation is during a peak time which is said to require a higher point value starting some time in early 2019. I just want to make sure, since my certificate is already attached to my reservation, I assume I am ok -- the certificate, once attached, won't be denied at check-in due to current point rate increased, will it? First time using a TP, sorry for the dumb question, and many thanks!

estnet Mar 2, 2019 12:21 am

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 30837749)
The line entries in the account activity are not to be relied upon because they are not accurate and often disappeared after showing up for a few days.

What everyone should do is keep track of the total balance in one's account, with whatever method used, even just a note pad doing the basic addition and subtraction.

I currently have 14 or 15 reservations for a long trip later this year, plus will add another 5 to 6 reservations for a trip in Apr-May. Needless to say there are changes / cancellations on award bookings made.

Each and every single time when I make any booking that would affect the account balance, I have a screen before and after, as well as a lhandwritten list on the activities with a running total.
As long as the balance online agrees with the balance I kept the record, I am fine with it. I no longer look for the account activities because that would only cause confusion.

Perfect description of how a major corporation operates to help their customers in 2019 -
"wait...... I have to get some paper and do some basic arithmetic to keep track of my account along with a screen shot b/c well, otherwise, I'd never know what's going on........ :angry:

potm Mar 2, 2019 12:38 am

Originally Posted by susieling (Post 30837883)
Have a 7-night "category 4" TP already attached to a reservation later this year in Dec, this hotel will increase to category 5 after March 5, also my reservation is during a peak time which is said to require a higher point value starting some time in early 2019. I just want to make sure, since my certificate is already attached to my reservation, I assume I am ok -- the certificate, once attached, won't be denied at check-in due to current point rate increased, will it? First time using a TP, sorry for the dumb question, and many thanks!

Yes you are perfectly fine as long as the certificate is attached now.

teriyaki Mar 2, 2019 4:46 am

Hoping someone can help me clarify on how the "expiration" of certificates work in Marriott now.

I have a certificate that expires April 2019. Would I have to attach and actually STAY in a hotel prior to April 2019, or do I only have to attach the certificate prior to April for a stay in September. Real world example.

RedSun Mar 2, 2019 4:56 am

With both annual free night and travel package, the expiration is the last day of your actual stays.

But it I think now Marriott allows one time extension with at least the travel package. There are quite some DPs about extension of annual free nights too.

teriyaki Mar 2, 2019 5:59 am

Thanks for the reply. I called back to clarify and to ask about extensions as well. Have 2 free nights and a 7night package. Completely unwilling to move on anything, only kept asking me to move my travel plans.

potm Mar 2, 2019 6:03 am

Originally Posted by teriyaki (Post 30838442)
Thanks for the reply. I called back to clarify and to ask about extensions as well. Have 2 free nights and a 7night package. Completely unwilling to move on anything, only kept asking me to move my travel plans.

If you have a 7 night cert that expires in April 2019, it will be an old one. When you convert it to a new certificate it will reset the 1 year expiry from that date.

exploreaswego Mar 2, 2019 6:28 am

This is a case of HUCA, your agent is probably unhelpful. You have to throw a logical question back to the stupid CSA - how the hell do you move travel plans with a stay of 7 nights AT 1 HOTEL?! If you tell me 1 or 2 nights, that completely understandable, but we are talking about 7 solid nights which is 8 days at a foreign destination! In respects to that's what Marriott originally wanted their customers to use these travel package certs for, you use the miles to fly somewhere, and you stay there using the certs.

Side note, are your certs in the OC wording? Which means have you converted them yet? If no, the certs gain 12 more months from the day they are being updated as the NC.

And from my experience, after updating to NC, they give you another 12 more months per cert to extend, and that's it. You also have to ask for extension before the certs expires.

In your case, you need to extend them in order to use them for a future date.

rny321 Mar 2, 2019 7:15 am

I was told a few days ago that within 15 days of expiration annual night certificates can be extended to a full year from the date of change.

peeyurr Mar 2, 2019 3:21 pm

How do we attached the certificate to the reservation? For some reason, the agents are saying I dont have enough points.

This shows up in my certificates:
Partial Package - 7 nights category 6 Expires: 02/22/2020

I wanted to use it for 7 nights at the Westin Grand Cayman. Also, can we apply the ritz upgrades to this reservation? Thanks in advance everyone.

TommyC80 Mar 2, 2019 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by peeyurr (Post 30840073)
How do we attached the certificate to the reservation? For some reason, the agents are saying I dont have enough points.

This shows up in my certificates:
Partial Package - 7 nights category 6 Expires: 02/22/2020

I wanted to use it for 7 nights at the Westin Grand Cayman. Also, can we apply the ritz upgrades to this reservation? Thanks in advance everyone.

I would call to have it attached. I’ve found the website to be too glitchy with respect to partial package certs.

Ritz upgrades? At a Westin? No. And even if you were staying at a ritz you can’t use them on redemption stays. They are only valid on specific cash rates.