FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Travel Package General Discussion Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1928972-travel-package-general-discussion-thread.html)

Quimby4 Mar 6, 2019 11:11 am

Data Point:
Friend called 3x yesterday till she found an agent to convert OC8 to NC6.
Followed FT script and asked for NC6 code, didnt say flat out wanted to upgrade.
Not sure if she was charged points or not
Partial Travel Package expires 3/5/20
She is very happy.

s879 Mar 6, 2019 2:01 pm

I tried again but no luck. Keep saying OC 1-5 can only be changed to NC 1-4. No upgrade allowed. I did mention the script that if need to cancel that and get the QP91 but supervisor said that's 45,000 back (as I've used the airline miles) and another 60,000 from the account doesn't equate to QP91. Are people okay with getting their package cancelled and then rebooked. I don't want it cancelled in case then they say we can't book a higher package and there is no going back. I really don't think I will have any success as the system is not allowing them. Called UK number again.

s879 Mar 6, 2019 2:13 pm

So do I need to make a reservation first and try and convert and attach? I haven't made any reservations yet but am ready to convert and book then and there.

potm Mar 6, 2019 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by estnet (Post 30852836)
DP US platinum/titanium number
Called and verified previous Marriott rep - still what should have been a 5 minute call took 30. Simply wanted to convert 7 night OC 1-5 to NC 4. Asked if he could see my existing 4 certs - gave correct code # for old one and asked to make sure he saw 2 oldest ones
Placed on hold many times while he clearly looked up how to do things. Before I even said what I wanted to do he repeated 4!!! times adamantly before allowing me to say what I wanted to do:
1 TRAVEL CERTS CANNOT BE UPGRADED
2 Travel certs can be extended once
3 Travel certs if cancelled can has no value (will be returned to account with 5k credit) YES he said this contradictory statement 4 times

So a call that should have taken a short while lasted forever while he kept repeating irrelevant stuff to me (wonder what would have happened if I just told him I wanted to convert to code for NC 5 since he had NO idea what was going on except for rereading a script over and over to me)
Once the certs were converted he did apply them to the two existing reservations I wanted quite promptly.

That’s good to know that their internal script allows the certs to be extended once. We’ve only had one data point of someone successfully getting a NC extended bu a year as people haven’t needed to do this yet.

upsidedown Mar 6, 2019 3:14 pm

I am sure this is a really NOOB question here but how do I know if I have an NCX or OCX certificate. Under promotions, it states 7 Night Travel Package Category 7 Hotels valid thru 7/20/19. Have I screwed up by not attaching to a reservation? I know I missed out on the hotels that went from Cat 7 to Cat 8 yestersday, but can I still use this at any new Cat 7 hotel?

Thanks

tth6133 Mar 6, 2019 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by s879 (Post 30855832)
So do I need to make a reservation first and try and convert and attach? I haven't made any reservations yet but am ready to convert and book then and there.

You don't. You can convert now and attach later (before the expiration date).

tth6133 Mar 6, 2019 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by upsidedown (Post 30855995)
I am sure this is a really NOOB question here but how do I know if I have an NCX or OCX certificate. Under promotions, it states 7 Night Travel Package Category 7 Hotels valid thru 7/20/19. Have I screwed up by not attaching to a reservation? I know I missed out on the hotels that went from Cat 7 to Cat 8 yestersday, but can I still use this at any new Cat 7 hotel?

Thanks

It appears to be an old/legacy certificate. You can't use it on a new cat-7 hotel. It must be converted to a new certificate (most likely new cat-5) first.

Brituchenite Mar 6, 2019 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees (Post 30849095)
Did the rep order the correct certificate, QP91 (check your email confirmation against the partial package cert codes listed in the wiki)? So long as the points value is the same for 3 people or 2 people in a room it should not make a difference. Is the points cost for the NC5 property 210k for 7 nights (6 nights at 35k/night plus 1 free)?

Hi Skimtrees. Yes, the certificate is correct - he exchanged it for a QP91. Cost for points is 210k in the reservation plus a 3rd person charge of around $450US.

skimthetrees Mar 6, 2019 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by Brituchenite (Post 30856062)
Hi Skimtrees. Yes, the certificate is correct - he exchanged it for a QP91. Cost for points is 210k in the reservation plus a 3rd person charge of around $450US.

You will have to pay the $450 3rd person charge but you should be able to attach the QP91/NC5 cert to the reservation at the NC5 hotel which will cover the 210k points (it will be adjusted to match the cert value once they attach the cert properly). Have you tried calling again? Sounds like the agent was certificately challenged (bad agent). I would ask a different agent to attach the cert.

Happy Mar 6, 2019 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by potm (Post 30855939)

That’s good to know that their internal script allows the certs to be extended once. We’ve only had one data point of someone successfully getting a NC extended bu a year as people haven’t needed to do this yet.

System allows NC to be extended but it is up to the reps whether they know / want to do it. A friend extended hers (far from expired as it would be Sept) in late Feb, when she wanted to book a stay in Dec. It was extended without question.

s879 Mar 6, 2019 11:13 pm

Re the Wiki script, how are people getting past persuading them to order a new one 'using 105,000 from the account' as the script says? They understand cancelling an OC 1-5 would give a refund of 45,000 but when I follow the script and ask them to convert to/ order new QP91, they say I won't have enough points although I have the extra 60,000 to get higher category. US number said they can't order just the hotel part (I have used my airline part) and two agents said I'd need to purchase an entirely new one. Nothing I say from the script is persuading them.

Is there a risk that if I ask them to cancel and convert to QP91 saying I'd talk you through and if it doesn't work, my certificate would just get cancelled. I don't want to end up with just 45,000.

HIFlya Mar 7, 2019 2:27 pm

I don't know if this was talked about earlier, but with the new "peak-standard-off" pricing structure, are the TP certificates good for up-to the amount listed like the FN certificates given by the CCs? In other words, I currently have a OC5, and will need to convert to a NC4 before the expiration date in July. I wanted to use the certificate for a trip to Disneyland, but with the recent devaluation, it put a major blow to my plans because pretty much all the Bonvoy places within walking distance moved from Category 4 to Category 5 (except for an awfully reviewed 4 points). However, I just realized that the off-peak pricing for a Category 5 would be 25K points/night. Would I be able to use my certificate for a Category 5 property with off-peak pricing?

goozy Mar 7, 2019 9:14 pm

New Category 8

Any news on the NC8? Do we have the reward code for this category? Has anyone tried to convert another certificate into a NC8?

RedSun Mar 7, 2019 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by goozy (Post 30860959)
Any news on the NC8? Do we have the reward code for this category? Has anyone tried to convert another certificate into a NC8?

I do not think there will be such thing of NC8. There was no need and I do not see the needs for the future.

goozy Mar 7, 2019 9:53 pm

They are selling new travel packages for the new category 8. the cost is 750k points for 100k airline miles + 7 night certificate in new category 8. so the certificates definitely exist for new category 8, i just dont know if they'd be able to convert into this type of category since it didn't exist before the merger.