FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Travel Package General Discussion Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1928972-travel-package-general-discussion-thread.html)

s879 Mar 4, 2019 5:01 pm

Does anyone know the timings for the UK number?

ChrisJC5 Mar 4, 2019 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by bluestrudels (Post 30847822)
I believe Happy's advice comes from a place that meant no malice. But any elites here that has been staying with Marriott should be aware of this merger mess, the ultimate rule of thumb is NEVER modify your reservations once they are applied with e-certs on them, especially so when you have very complicated processes of these travel packages conversions (compounded with inferior IT) and constant CAT changes that has taken place in the past few months.

Sometimes, I feel bad for the reps, even if they are the ones on the plat line, not all Plat reps are legacy Marriott Reps that are very knowledgeable with 5/7 night travel packages conversation, let alone a legacy SPG rep providing you accurate information.
It is clear that Marriott rather blow their budget with marketing over glitzy commercials during the Oscar prime time than spend money to adequately train their employees.

Having said all that, your outcome would have been better when you did your homework or even read some blogger's experience before you adjusted your reservations and made flight arrangements before checking for your reservation confirmation. I ALWAYS ask for an email confirmation in writing, and then verify, before any rep hangs up on me and tell me it's all set. I'd rather spend another 10 minutes to check my reservations than have a mistake that would require me another 3 hours to rectify.

Your best bet now would probably send an email to the executive office and pray they entertain you, or you'll probably be better off booking another property in NYC and use your 5 nights cert elsewhere for later.

I can't read anyone's intent here but I can read what they write. Sounds utterly snarky regardless of intent. I've learned my lessons with Marriott and with seeking advice here in this forum. I want to thank everyone for the advice and guidance I received here, putting aside the snark.

bluemeansgo Mar 4, 2019 7:13 pm

I have made a tentative reservation that is going from cat 5 to cat 6. Do I need to attach a certificate before tomorrow?

A little extra info. I have booked two separate weeks because I'm not sure which one I can get flights for next month. This is why I haven't attached it yet.

skimthetrees Mar 4, 2019 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by Brituchenite (Post 30848133)
So, I called today to attach my newly converted certificate (from an old Cat 7to a new Cat 5). Rep had problems attaching it, so has opened up a 'case'. Sigh. The reservation is for Nov so I have plenty of time to get it sorted out, and the hotel is not changing categories, so no issues there. But, I was hoping it would be a simple process now that my certificate had been reissued. Seemingly not.

Is it possible that because I wanted 3 ppl in the room, this was/is causing the problem?

Did the rep order the correct certificate, QP91 (check your email confirmation against the partial package cert codes listed in the wiki)? So long as the points value is the same for 3 people or 2 people in a room it should not make a difference. Is the points cost for the NC5 property 210k for 7 nights (6 nights at 35k/night plus 1 free)?

skimthetrees Mar 4, 2019 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by bluemeansgo (Post 30848534)
I have made a tentative reservation that is going from cat 5 to cat 6. Do I need to attach a certificate before tomorrow?

A little extra info. I have booked two separate weeks because I'm not sure which one I can get flights for next month. This is why I haven't attached it yet.

Maybe, maybe not. Some reports say no but no printed confirmation so I would attach your cert to one of your reservations. At least you are 50% covered if things go wrong.

RafKa Mar 5, 2019 11:59 am

Another DP

Called the UK number today to try to upgrade my OC6 to NC5. First two agents I spoke to were adamant no upgrades allowed.

On the third try I spoke to what seemed like a clueless agent. I explained I wanted to convert my OC into NC and asked if he could help. He put me on hold straight away for 30 mins, and then came back saying "it's all done". He got it converted to NC4 without asking me!! I was like:"WHAT?? But I didn't want a NC4, I need an NC5 (QP91).

He put me on hold for another 10 mins, and then said "all done" once again. I checked my account while he was still on the phone, and sure enough, the NC5 cert was there! No mention of any points difference, but the 30k did come out of my account.

Moral of the story, keep trying and with a little luck and perseverance you can still get your certs upgraded!

exploreaswego Mar 5, 2019 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun (Post 30847944)
It is really hard to get most of this thread since this TP thing is very complicated and the thread has been this long.... Now we are at page #103 . Can keep going for another year until most are used....

I agree, after the 1 year extensions are drained, this is more like a dying legacy program. If you look at the current TP rates, those are terrible value of points.. (If you compared it to the past)

exploreaswego Mar 5, 2019 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by RafKa (Post 30851348)
Called the UK number today to try to upgrade my OC6 to NC5. First two agents I spoke to we'r adamant no upgrades allowed.

On the third try I spoke to what seemed like a clueless agent. I explained I wanted to convert my OC into NC and asked if he could help. He or me on hold straight away for 30 mins, and then came back saying "it's all done". He got it covered to NC4 without asking me!! I was like:"WHAT?? But I didn't want a NC4, I need an NC5 (QP91).

He or me on hold for another 10 mins, and then said "all done" once again. I checked my account while he was still in the phone, and sure enough, the NC5 cert was there! No mention of any points difference, but the 30k did cone out of my account.

Moral of the story, keep trying and with a little luck and persévérance you can still get your certs upgraded!

Great value here! Hopefully you can find a property you want to redeem 7 nights for.

s879 Mar 5, 2019 3:22 pm

Tried twice today, no luck converting my old Cat 1-5 to new Cat 5. I have read people being able to do it and one didn't even have to pay extra points! Maybe I'm saying something wrong, lol.

RafKa Mar 5, 2019 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by s879 (Post 30852137)
Tried twice today, no luck converting my old Cat 1-5 to new Cat 5. I have read people being able to do it and one didn't even have to pay extra points! Maybe I'm saying something wrong, lol.

See my post above: I got lucky yesterday on my third try. I just followed the script on the wiki, but ultimately it's all down to luck of the draw and what agent you get... HUCA is your friend!

RafKa Mar 5, 2019 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by bluestrudels (Post 30851582)
Great value here! Hopefully you can find a property you want to redeem 7 nights for.

With Cat 5 properties in Sydney averaging U$300 a night I'm hopeful I can get some value out of that cert.

Sadly, with the way things are going at Marriott, it looks like these may be the only 7 nights I'll be spending at a Bonvoy hotel in 2019 while Hilton is getting all my business...

Burghs Mar 5, 2019 4:19 pm

To add another data point: last night, I called the US line and on the third try, was able to convert my OC1-5 to NC1-5 by paying the difference of 60,000 points. Thank you for the detailed roadmap in this thread!

TGLoyalty Mar 5, 2019 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by cashcow (Post 30847481)
Any relevant details that may help others? Did you already have an existing reservation, or just knew the Cat 6 you wanted when you called?

Sorry just booked the cat 6 hotel I wanted and knew had availability during the dates I needed. Saved myself a pretty penny!

Called the UK number but feel like the agent I spoke to was American rather than european. Asked the agent to convert my current cert to a new cat 6 cert and talked me through 135k discount and then taking 165k for the new one and applied the cert then and there with zero hassle. Not sure if having a hotel to apply the voucher to helped move the conversation along but there was no questioning upgrading the category.

estnet Mar 5, 2019 7:35 pm

DP US platinum/titanium number
Called and verified previous Marriott rep - still what should have been a 5 minute call took 30. Simply wanted to convert 7 night OC 1-5 to NC 4. Asked if he could see my existing 4 certs - gave correct code # for old one and asked to make sure he saw 2 oldest ones
Placed on hold many times while he clearly looked up how to do things. Before I even said what I wanted to do he repeated 4!!! times adamantly before allowing me to say what I wanted to do:
1 TRAVEL CERTS CANNOT BE UPGRADED
2 Travel certs can be extended once
3 Travel certs if cancelled can has no value (will be returned to account with 5k credit) YES he said this contradictory statement 4 times

So a call that should have taken a short while lasted forever while he kept repeating irrelevant stuff to me (wonder what would have happened if I just told him I wanted to convert to code for NC 5 since he had NO idea what was going on except for rereading a script over and over to me)
Once the certs were converted he did apply them to the two existing reservations I wanted quite promptly.

nacho Mar 6, 2019 7:40 am

I wasn't aware of that Marriott wants to get the certs attached before the 5th! I called yesterday morning time and the system was updating and the agent told me that they could just override and attached the cert.

Nothing happened and I called again and they said they can't do it and claimed that the cert is new - I had all the requirements to attach the cert and I just couldn't do it myself!

I got them to open a case and in case it doesn't work out they will give me 30k points back.

Definitely not happy here. I know I should have called earlier but it's not as easy as we are ahead of US time zone.