FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Travel Package General Discussion Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1928972-travel-package-general-discussion-thread.html)

pazza2000 Feb 21, 2019 2:18 am

Just to kindly confirm for me, am I correct in saying that if I want to use a Travel Package towards a property that is moving up a category in March, I need to have it attached to that stay beforehand and locking in the Points Advance rate is not suffice (but it would be fine if just using outright points to lock in the rate?)?

Also, when cancelling a stay with an old cert attached, call to ensure it’s detached first so as it recredits back to my account as ‘Old’ giving a longer longevity to it as there is a year extension effectively when converting it across to ‘New’?

SusanLindberg Feb 21, 2019 7:11 am

Thank you. It appears that despite them confirming they had attached my certificate, it was not attached at all. I could tell because my certificate was still showing up as "unused" and my reservation showed my points due as 1,147,000 points.

I called again, and they attached the certificate successfully this time. It has now disappeared from my certificates available. My reservation now says "this reservation has an e-certificate" total points for stay: 165,000. A NC 6 is "worth" 165,000 points. So does that mean the certificate is all that is required, or that I need to pay with the certificate and an additional 165,000 points? Specifically my reservation looks like this:

Room Total Summary

• 1 room(s) for 7 nights

• Wednesday, XXXXXX, 2019
    • 121000 points + Free Night
  • Thursday, XXXXX, 2019
    • 171,000 points
  • Friday,XXXXXX, 2019
    • 171,000 points
  • Saturday, XXXXXX, 2019
    • 171,000 points
  • Sunday, XXXXXXX, 2019
    • 171,000 points
  • Monday, XXXXXX, 2019
    • 171,000 points
  • Tuesday, XXXXXX, 2019
    • 171,000 points
  • Total points rate
  • Estimated government taxes and fees
    Included
  • Total for stay in hotel's currency
    Taxes and fees + 165,000 points

Willbur Feb 21, 2019 8:12 am

Originally Posted by SusanLindberg (Post 30804968)
Thank you. It appears that despite them confirming they had attached my certificate, it was not attached at all. I could tell because my certificate was still showing up as "unused" and my reservation showed my points due as 1,147,000 points.

I called again, and they attached the certificate successfully this time. It has now disappeared from my certificates available. My reservation now says "this reservation has an e-certificate" total points for stay: 165,000. A NC 6 is "worth" 165,000 points. So does that mean the certificate is all that is required, or that I need to pay with the certificate and an additional 165,000 points? Specifically my reservation looks like this:

Room Total Summary

• 1 room(s) for 7 nights

• Wednesday, XXXXXX, 2019
    • 121000 points + Free Night
  • Thursday, XXXXX, 2019
    • 171,000 points
  • Friday,XXXXXX, 2019
    • 171,000 points
  • Saturday, XXXXXX, 2019
    • 171,000 points
  • Sunday, XXXXXXX, 2019
    • 171,000 points
  • Monday, XXXXXX, 2019
    • 171,000 points
  • Tuesday, XXXXXX, 2019
    • 171,000 points
  • Total points rate
  • Estimated government taxes and fees
    Included
  • Total for stay in hotel's currency
    Taxes and fees + 165,000 points

If I'm reading this correctly it seems that you had a premium room at a Cat 6 reserved and then you managed to get your Cat 6 applied to it and don't owe any additional amount. What type of room was this for?

tth6133 Feb 21, 2019 9:01 am

Originally Posted by pazza2000 (Post 30804385)
Just to kindly confirm for me, am I correct in saying that if I want to use a Travel Package towards a property that is moving up a category in March, I need to have it attached to that stay beforehand and locking in the Points Advance rate is not suffice (but it would be fine if just using outright points to lock in the rate?)?

Marriott has clarified that you don't need to attach the certificate to lock in the current rate.

rny321 Feb 21, 2019 10:39 am

Originally Posted by RedSun (Post 30803837)
You can't blame all on Marriott. We were all urged to attach the TPs to existing reservations. But a lot people did not do that. Because a lot of the TPs were purchased for speculative purposes. Look around. A lot of the OC1-5 TPs were purchases and the members had no intention to stay at those hotels. So what are the way out of this?? Knock on wood.... And have ourselves to blame too.

From my perspective, it wasn't so much what changes they made but the lack of notice beforehand. If Marriott had told customers well before August 18 what the conversions would be, it would have prevented much of the speculation and hostility. Relying only on social media to announce that category changes will no longer be allowed a few days beforehand and not telling anyone what the exchange rate would be isn't going to create customer loyalty. I might be unusual, but I didn't know the exact days I would traveling this year last August, which made it futile to attach old certificates to future reservations. If Marriott had simply posted on its website or sent emails to its customers detailing the conversion process a month or so in advance, the reaction to the changes would have been muted.

skimthetrees Feb 21, 2019 11:26 am

Originally Posted by tth6133 (Post 30805390)
Marriott has clarified that you don't need to attach the certificate to lock in the current rate.

Do you have a link to a Marriott source statement? Was it made clear that this applies to TP certs specifically?

SusanLindberg Feb 21, 2019 11:27 am

It was for a one-bedroom villa with ocean view. This is definitely an upgraded room, although this hotel only has villas, so the only upgrade I believe is the ocean view instead of inland view.

Quimby4 Feb 21, 2019 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by SusanLindberg (Post 30805957)
It was for a one-bedroom villa with ocean view. This is definitely an upgraded room, although this hotel only has villas, so the only upgrade I believe is the ocean view instead of inland view.

I think it looks weird.
My Cat 6 Reservation shows
DATE FREE NIGHT
DATE 50,000
DATE 50,000
DATE 50,000
DATE 50,000
TOTAL POINTS RATE 105,000
RESORT FEE $325
TAX
Free night is 5th night free

Looks like yours is an upgrade of 121,000 points per night

SusanLindberg Feb 21, 2019 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Quimby4 (Post 30806237)
I think it looks weird.
My Cat 6 Reservation shows
DATE FREE NIGHT
DATE 50,000
DATE 50,000
DATE 50,000
DATE 50,000
TOTAL POINTS RATE 105,000
RESORT FEE $325
TAX
Free night is 5th night free

Looks like yours is an upgrade of 121,000 points per night

Yes, Quimby4 I see where you're getting that. I would agree except for the fact that at the bottom of the reservation it says in big bold type:

Total for Stay

(All rooms) in local currency

165,000 Points

Summary of Charges(all rooms)

Subtotal

165,000 Points

Total taxes & fees

Included

Total for Stay

165,000 Points

If it says that I don't see how they could possibly charge an additional 121,000 per night. Otherwise it would be included in the total stated, right? I'm nervous because every time I call the CSRs seem to have no idea and all tell you something different, so there's no way to call and be confident in the answer. But I also don't want my reservation to be cancelled a few days before because I don't have the additional points required in my account.

RedSun Feb 21, 2019 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by rny321 (Post 30805784)
From my perspective, it wasn't so much what changes they made but the lack of notice beforehand. If Marriott had told customers well before August 18 what the conversions would be, it would have prevented much of the speculation and hostility. Relying only on social media to announce that category changes will no longer be allowed a few days beforehand and not telling anyone what the exchange rate would be isn't going to create customer loyalty. I might be unusual, but I didn't know the exact days I would traveling this year last August, which made it futile to attach old certificates to future reservations. If Marriott had simply posted on its website or sent emails to its customers detailing the conversion process a month or so in advance, the reaction to the changes would have been muted.

Yes, I totally agreed with you. But, compared with airlines and other hotels, Marriott probably is the better of the evils. What I got through entire TP process is:

1. No one had expected what was going to happen, from all parties. But we all knew it would not be smooth.
2. Most of the TPs are speculative. We all took advantage of Marriott. No one can dispute this fact. Marriott is draining the room revenues.
3. Marriott is about the only major hotel that give us the "point advance". We took advantage of this too.
4. Most of the Marriott Reward staff have been working with customers (at least with me) to solve most of the major issues. My experience is much better than with other airlines and some other hotels.
5. I personally got very good values from the TPs and I'm very grateful for it. There are some frustrations, but the results are very positive.

Going forward, I'll find the balance of Marriott, Hyatt and other less brands. I won't commit 100% to any airline or hotel. That is the way how it works now. Our sweetheart airline or hotel can certainly let us down some times. Do you file nasty divorce with your spouse with some of the mess-ups??

Happy Feb 21, 2019 2:16 pm

It is better to do it this way. Although as long as you have made the Point Advance booking BEFORE March 5th, in theory the rate is locked in, but you would have a very hard time to get the cert attached AFTER March 5th because it requires special handling - given the majority reps dont even know how to handle TP cert bookings, you are asking for more hassle if you dont attach your cert before property category goes up.

Also, when cancelling a stay with an old cert attached, call to ensure it’s detached first so as it recredits back to my account as ‘Old’ giving a longer longevity to it as there is a year extension effectively when converting it across to ‘New’?

NO, not in the way you explained.

The extension happens when the old cert converted to the new cert (in order to be able to attach to the reservation.) When you detach it at cancellation of said reservation, the now NC does NOT give you a new date. Read back a few pages - there are DPs on both NC and OC, when detached, retain the ORIGINAL DATEs without any change.

The ONLY chance you have the validity extended for a new life is when the OC is converted to the NC. Nothing else would.

Happy Feb 21, 2019 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by rny321 (Post 30805784)

T.H.I.S.

ALL we have heard so far have been from INDIRECT sources, with contradictory info coming in bits and pieces. People have no way to guide them on what they need to redeem. Can't blame people to speculate on the categories they book. This is not even accounting for the SHORTCHANGE Marriott tried to stiff the Cat 6 and 8 holders by downgrade the redemption value, AND would not refund the overpayment of 30K, until the outcry from everywhere. It took almost a week before Marriott rescinded this obvious "let's fleecing the customers as long as we can get away from it" type of approach. Obviously it has never thought about the SPG 1 to 3 ratio would create so many accounts have large balances that can redeem TPs many times more than historical level. So it decides to take the approach as to test how much the customers can bear, so it can get rid of the liabilities as cheaply as possible.

Just see how difficult it has been for 90% of the cert holders to even just redeem their certs normally, I cannot fathom anyone here would continue to defend Marriott's behaviors.

Had the company been forthcoming and transparent, most of the confusion would not happen. But then, it would not be able to pull the stinky tricks.

RedSun Feb 21, 2019 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by SusanLindberg (Post 30806363)
Yes, Quimby4 I see where you're getting that. I would agree except for the fact that at the bottom of the reservation it says in big bold type:….

If it says that I don't see how they could possibly charge an additional 121,000 per night. Otherwise it would be included in the total stated, right? I'm nervous because every time I call the CSRs seem to have no idea and all tell you something different, so there's no way to call and be confident in the answer. But I also don't want my reservation to be cancelled a few days before because I don't have the additional points required in my account.

Be mindful of requirement of room upgrade certificates for villa, suite and 1- or 2- BR apartment. Below is one of my reservation of a 2-bedroom apartment with 7-day TP partial certificate. The info has been edited and it is for reference only. There were multiple upgrade certificates required. It was really complicated and even the agents would not understand the rates. It was cancelled eventually.

Upcoming Reservation
Order reward certificate(s) for this reservation
This reservation has e-certificate(s).
Your Reward certificates will be sent to your hotel.

5: Guests

7 Nights

Room 1 #xxx -2 Bedroom Townhouse, Bedroom 1: 1 King, Bedroom 2: 2 Twin/Single Bed(s), Sofabed, Bathrooms: 2. ROOM DETAILS

MAR, 2019 MAR, 2019

Marriott Rewards Redemption with Points Upgrade
You may cancel your reservation for no charge until February 23, 2019 (21 day[s] before arrival).
CANCELLATION POLICY

EDIT ROOM CANCEL ROOM

105,000 Points

1 room(s) for 7 nights Prices in USD
Saturday, March 16, 2019 34000 points + Free Night
Sunday, March 17, 2019 84,000 points
Monday, March 18, 2019 84,000 points
Tuesday, March 19, 2019 84,000 points
Wednesday, March 20, 2019 84,000 points
Thursday, March 21, 2019 84,000 points
Friday, March 22, 2019 84,000 points
Total points rate 105,000
Estimated government taxes and fees 38.50
Total for stay in hotel's currency 38.50 + 105,000 points
Current points balance: 24,375 points
Choose Room Features
Pending: 2 Double Beds, Extra towels, High floor, Specific cancel policy
Please note Non-commissionable rate 38.50 USD Taxes and fees

Total for Stay(All rooms) in local currency38.50 USD  105,000 Points
Summary of Charges(all rooms)

Subtotal 105,000 Points

Total taxes & fees 38.50 USD

Total for Stay 38.50 USD  105,000 Points

Additional Charges
Complimentary on-site parking
Changes in taxes or fees implemented after booking will affect the total room price.

Happy Feb 21, 2019 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees (Post 30805950)
Do you have a link to a Marriott source statement? Was it made clear that this applies to TP certs specifically?

NO, Not at all, not even to the regular Point Advance booking.

Once again, Marriott chose to reply to a Blogger's inquiry, but NOT to the original blog site (TPG which writer has pointed out the new language at the bottom of the March 5th changes and reached out but never got an update / clarification from Marriott.)

Instead, Gary Leff said he "reached out" to Marriott and got the reply which to me, is just as clear as mud because it has not clarify nor affirm, that the old practice remains in place. In fact it just said that you need to call and an CEC? agent needs to manually handle it. It does NOT address the concern whatsoever.
Gary's information so far is the ONLY information the general public has seen. No any official announcement or clarification. Marriott has apparently chosen to IGNORE the writer from TPG, as the writer has promised an update on this as long as TPG has heard back from Marriott. 2 weeks or more have passed, there is NO UPDATE on TPG site regarding this. Again, the only channel getting any "information or noninformation" on this topic is Gary Leff's. Everyone else just quotes him.

More bothersome is, t if you go to OMAAT and read the comments of the same topic article, there are several posters said they were charged MORE pts Last Year when they finalized their ressies after the first point changes. So the Proof is in the Pudding as the old cliche says. I bet that when it comes to finalize those point advance bookings, there would be a lot of battles in getting them done correctly.

RedSun Feb 21, 2019 2:50 pm

One thing I learnt is that, I do not recall receiving any confirmation for the point advance reservation. So eventually I lost track of the dates of my point advance reservations. So my advice is that if you have no intention to stay at the property, then do not waste your time and endure the long wait time talking to Marriott rep. I do not think you'll enjoy it....