FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Travel Package General Discussion Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1928972-travel-package-general-discussion-thread.html)

g4indigo Feb 20, 2019 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by IAmKab (Post 30774845)
Finally today I was able to attach my Cat 1-4 cert to my reservation. After about 5 or 6 calls including when they just have no clue about anything and transfer you to someone with no information about what your issue is.

1st person says they attached it, nop. 2nd person says they attached it, nop, even after asking them to make sure. 3rd person says she will attach it and has to fix a problem in their system... finally! It's attached.

Hours wasted. They only thing they are trained to do is say "No." when I ask if I can pay points to upgrade my certificate.

I just made a reservation using points (with no point in my account). I assume I need to call Marriott to attach my 7 nights certificate. How do I know if the certificate is correctly attached? Also the stay I booked is still more than half year a way. Is there any pontential disadvantage for attached the certificate later? Thanks!

rny321 Feb 20, 2019 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun (Post 30801905)
Very good quiz question. ;)

"3.14 Hotel and Air Travel Packages

3.14.a. All Loyalty Program Rules apply to Members redeeming Points toward a hotel and flight “Travel Package.”

3.14.b. When a Member redeems Points to purchase a Travel Package: (1) the hotel award portion includes consecutive nights at the selected hotel; (2) Miles will be automatically transferred into the participating airline frequent flyer program account that matches the name on the Membership Account; and (3) Travel Packages are excluded from airline partner conversion bonus campaigns. More information on the Travel Packages may be obtained here.

3.14.c. Once a Travel Package is processed:

i. airline Miles cannot be transferred back to the Membership Account; and

ii. the hotel award portion of the Travel Package is non-refundable to the Member if cancelled or not used." (Bolding mine.)

Since the old travel package allowed refunds, extensions and category changes, some representatives continue to allow changes to them. In contrast, those accommodations aren't part of the current Terms and Conditions which were posted before the first new certificates were issued. Although one can make the argument that old certificates should be allowed some flexibility due to policy changes made after purchase, such changes are the quintessential YMMV.

RebeccaC Feb 20, 2019 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by tth6133 (Post 30801669)
Upon conversion to new TP certificates, not only are upgrades/downgrades infinitely more difficult, but also cancellations to get back the residue/surrender points (45K for NC4, etc.) are infinitely more difficult (or even impossible).

Second Jrey's post, this is a shocking news to me. Is that true?? No cancellation to get back the residue/surrender points?

jrey Feb 20, 2019 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by g4indigo (Post 30802257)

I just made a reservation using points (with no point in my account). I assume I need to call Marriott to attach my 7 nights certificate. How do I know if the certificate is correctly attached? Also the stay I booked is still more than half year a way. Is there any pontential disadvantage for attached the certificate later? Thanks!

No, except that there are a number of agents who don't know how to attach it. So you might waste your time there. I just went through about 4-5 agents before someone can attach it. About 3 of them were from SPG.

RebeccaC Feb 20, 2019 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by rny321 (Post 30802312)
"3.14 Hotel and Air Travel Packages

3.14.a. All Loyalty Program Rules apply to Members redeeming Points toward a hotel and flight “Travel Package.”

3.14.b. When a Member redeems Points to purchase a Travel Package: (1) the hotel award portion includes consecutive nights at the selected hotel; (2) Miles will be automatically transferred into the participating airline frequent flyer program account that matches the name on the Membership Account; and (3) Travel Packages are excluded from airline partner conversion bonus campaigns. More information on the Travel Packages may be obtained here.

3.14.c. Once a Travel Package is processed:

i. airline Miles cannot be transferred back to the Membership Account; and

ii. the hotel award portion of the Travel Package is non-refundable to the Member if cancelled or not used." (Bolding mine.)

Since the old travel package allowed refunds, extensions and category changes, some representatives continue to allow changes to them. In contrast, those accommodations aren't part of the current Terms and Conditions which were posted before the first new certificates were issued. Although one can make the argument that old certificates should be allowed some flexibility due to policy changes made after purchase, such changes are the quintessential YMMV.

Anyone got any data points on this matter? Is that true that only the OCs can be canceled and refunded with the 45Ks. The NC can't be refunded??? Once it expires, it just completely disappeared? ?

g4indigo Feb 20, 2019 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by jrey (Post 30802378)
No, except that there are a number of agents who don't know how to attach it. So you might waste your time there. I just went through about 4-5 agents before someone can attach it. About 3 of them were from SPG.

Yes I heard SCRs in the US are horrible. I will call agent in UK or China later once I am sure I will keep the reservation.

bluemeansgo Feb 20, 2019 2:59 pm

If I have an OC5 that I need to convert to an NC5, I just need to call and ask them to upgrade it? Pay the 60k points and then attach it to my booking, right?

Is there any specific call centre that works better than others?

rny321 Feb 20, 2019 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by RebeccaC (Post 30802407)
Anyone got any data points on this matter? Is that true that only the OCs can be canceled and refunded with the 45Ks. The NC can't be refunded??? Once it expires, it just completely disappeared? ?

Although the Terms and Conditions are quite clear that the hotel award portion of a travel package is non-refundable, I remember at least one poster reporting that he or she received a refund.

RebeccaC Feb 20, 2019 4:17 pm

But it is still at Marriott’s mercy then...they could change it at any time.

margarita girl Feb 20, 2019 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by bluemeansgo (Post 30802786)
If I have an OC5 that I need to convert to an NC5, I just need to call and ask them to upgrade it? Pay the 60k points and then attach it to my booking, right?

Is there any specific call centre that works better than others?

I think these questions are answered in the wiki! (And if you use the word UPGRADE, you're dead in the water.)

I strongly suggest that you invest 10-15 mins of your time to read back 9-10 pages of this thread.

Mr. Vker Feb 20, 2019 5:50 pm

I am using a Cat 5 (5 night) TP-new system. It was a Cat 8-old system. Converted and I got back 30K points. Anyway, it was booked and attached to a reservation for June. I needed to move the reservation back two days. Had to call-couldn't make it online. Agent was very helpful and made the change. I asked "Is the certificate still attached?" "Sure is"...well it sure wasn't. Took three calls. Two transfers to fix. The last call was 45 mins-with the same person trying to reattach it. Its done now, but WOW. Didn't think it could possibly be that difficult.

tth6133 Feb 20, 2019 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by RebeccaC (Post 30803010)
But it is still at Marriott’s mercy then...they could change it at any time.

If you're lucky, you may get an CSR who's not only sympathetic but also competent enough to deal with this type of issue. Presently, there're very few of them, unfortunately.

RebeccaC Feb 20, 2019 8:14 pm

Personally I think the way how Marriott is handling the travel packages; very not friendly conversion rate compared to before; very untrained staff (many said those are not doable or they are not trained or it is not in the menu,etc); and the nonrefund after cancellation or expiration; all hint that Marriott wants to see this line of product fades out quietly and eventually die in peace.

RedSun Feb 20, 2019 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by RebeccaC (Post 30803667)
Personally I think the way how Marriott is handling the travel packages; very not friendly conversion rate compared to before; very untrained staff (many said those are not doable or they are not trained or it is not in the menu,etc); and the nonrefund after cancellation or expiration; all hint that Marriott wants to see this line of product fades out quietly and eventually die in peace.

You can't blame all on Marriott. We were all urged to attach the TPs to existing reservations. But a lot people did not do that. Because a lot of the TPs were purchased for speculative purposes. Look around. A lot of the OC1-5 TPs were purchases and the members had no intention to stay at those hotels. So what are the way out of this?? Knock on wood.... And have ourselves to blame too.

jrey Feb 20, 2019 9:31 pm

Does anyone know how many phone agents Marriott has around the world? And how many just for the US phone number? And about how many are the competent ones who can do TP?