FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Travel Package General Discussion Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1928972-travel-package-general-discussion-thread.html)

Bidu Aug 18, 2019 10:18 pm

Tried to upgrade my NC to higher category with no luck.
If i dont have any plan to use my NC4, can we still get partial refund like OC?

joeags Aug 18, 2019 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by Bidu (Post 31430891)
Tried to upgrade my NC to higher category with no luck.
If i dont have any plan to use my NC4, can we still get partial refund like OC?

Officially no. In the T&C's at 3.14.c.ii it states that the hotel portion is not refundable. In reality, there may be a a few agents that would, but you saw how it was with upgrading.

maxweipo Aug 19, 2019 6:15 am

Can anyone clarify again that is making a reservation with the new certificates(NC) qualified as points redemption therefore can be issued to 3rd party according to terms 3.1.c(... if requested at the time of issuance, an Award may be issued to a third party....)?

I know for sure that it was possible to do that last year, but I'm getting DPs that's unsuccessful recently.

P.S. I called today to have it clarified with an agent, he said yes. However, I won't book it anytime soon, so just want to know that did anyone successful book any reservation under someone else's name recently.

Thank you!

HIFlya Aug 19, 2019 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun (Post 31424036)
the 7-night TPs are very inflexible. For personal use, the only feasible places are the resorts and large cities, where you can relax and roam the city streets. But those properties were hardest hit with Marriott category changes. The only value left is the overseas property. But you'll have to spend more $$ and time to fly there. That is great to do, but a lot people can't do.

This is why some TP holders continue to hold those TPs and hope to use them some day. But not many people want to take their families to a low level hotel in the middle of nowhere for 7 consecutive nights.

Most metro areas/suburbs will have hotels in the RI level for families in the Category 1-4 area right? Admittedly, they won't be right in the metro area so everything is in walking distance, but with kids, driving is probably better, and the bigger cities have metros that go pretty far out to the less densely populated areas.

HIFlya Aug 19, 2019 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer (Post 31426547)
I was able to convert an old cat 1-5 to a new cat 1-4. Took 5 mins or less. Wanted a new cat 5, but they didn't allow any upgrading. Well, now I have another year to figure out where I can possibly spend a week at a cat 4 hotel, that'll be fun.

Interested in Portland? have a family? I would recommend the RI at the airport as an option. Right next to a metro stop if you just want to use public transportation into downtown Portland. It is like a 20 minute train ride. Parking is free at the hotel, so you can just drive all over as well.

I just saw Asia is an option for you. Taipei has a ton of Bonvoy properties. I hear good things about the Courtyards there, although if you are insistent on "maximizing" your TP by staying at a category 4, they are only Category 3s. There is a full-service resort outside of Taipei that is a 4.

pinniped Aug 19, 2019 3:25 pm

PDX airport is a nice spot to use a one-night cert but I wouldn't want to spend an entire week there.

Downtown Portland is worth a couple nights. The Oregon/Washington coasts are worth a couple nights (although no idea about Marriott coverage out there), heading out into wine country is cool, Mt Hood is cool...but this doesn't seem like a great spot for the 7-night travel package. You'd end up spending a ton of time in the rental car getting everywhere and then back to the airport every night.

The only places I can think of to use a Cat 4 for an aspirational trip are in Asia at this point. Perhaps Africa too, if I took a closer look.

joeags Aug 19, 2019 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by maxweipo (Post 31431692)
Can anyone clarify again that is making a reservation with the new certificates(NC) qualified as points redemption therefore can be issued to 3rd party according to terms 3.1.c(... if requested at the time of issuance, an Award may be issued to a third party....)?

I know for sure that it was possible to do that last year, but I'm getting DPs that's unsuccessful recently.

P.S. I called today to have it clarified with an agent, he said yes. However, I won't book it anytime soon, so just want to know that did anyone successful book any reservation under someone else's name recently.

Thank you!

I've been having a hard time getting the name input properly on any points bookings. I call and say that I am making it for a different person, give the name, get told everything is fine, and then find the reservation is under my name. That being said, I did notice that I could change the name on a reservation 2 weeks ago, but I don't know how that impacts a certificate that is sent to the hotel. The terms still say you can book for a 3rd party, but the implementation sure seems off...

PanAmWT Aug 21, 2019 10:37 am

Originally Posted by HIFlya (Post 31433591)
Interested in Portland? have a family? I would recommend the RI at the airport as an option. Right next to a metro stop if you just want to use public transportation into downtown Portland. It is like a 20 minute train ride. Parking is free at the hotel, so you can just drive all over as well.

I just saw Asia is an option for you. Taipei has a ton of Bonvoy properties. I hear good things about the Courtyards there, although if you are insistent on "maximizing" your TP by staying at a category 4, they are only Category 3s. There is a full-service resort outside of Taipei that is a 4.

Courtyard Taipei Downtown is Category 4, new hotel opened earlier this year, rooms much better than the legendary Sheraton, has a club lounge with breakfast buffet and happy hours that one can skip dinner

margarita girl Aug 21, 2019 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by HIFlya (Post 31433591)
There is a full-service resort outside of Taipei that is a 4.

Is that the Westin Yilan? It’s a resort but not on a beach.

Happy Aug 21, 2019 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by HIFlya (Post 31433569)
Most metro areas/suburbs will have hotels in the RI level for families in the Category 1-4 area right? Admittedly, they won't be right in the metro area so everything is in walking distance, but with kids, driving is probably better, and the bigger cities have metros that go pretty far out to the less densely populated areas.

Actually there are some RIs are near metro stations.

In June we stayed 5 nights at an RI in Alexandria within a few metro stops to DC proper It was extremely convenient to reach DC or to/from either DCA or IAD airports, the DCA metro station is directly connected to the airport. Parking is an expensive $30 a day and you probably dont want to drive into DC anyway. For kids DC should be a very good location, other than it can be hot and crowded in museums during Summer.

One may want to check Chicago area for that purpose. Though SoCal may be out of question because while there are some Cat 4 SpringHills or such, they are quite away from the proper city centers or beach areas.

aujusco Aug 21, 2019 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by aujusco (Post 31412199)
I have a NC4 certificate that is expiring on 9/14/19. It was converted from a OC5 last year (Without really knowing it was converted as I was using another OC5 for a reservation. The agent did that so both certificates have a September 2019 expiration date). I called Marriott several times and got the consistent message that NC cannot be extended and cannot be refunded through points.

Are there ways around it? I plan to use it in October and it sucks I'm only missing the deadline for about 3 weeks.

If this has been answered already I apologize... It's hard to search through all the posts!

My NC is extended.... sort of. I called asking the rep to make a reservation using a travel package certificate for 10/9-10/16 (3.5 weeks pass the NC expiration date) and she was able to do that. I was put on hold quite a bit since the rep didn't know how to attach the travel package certificate. I didn't mention the certificate was a NC or it was expiring on 9/14... just played dumb, and it worked! I'm super happy about it!

For your reference, I only have lowly Gold status. I bought 2 packages in June 2018. Called to use one of them back in September 2018 and both packages got converted. I didn't ask for that and the agent didn't explain that to me at the time.Maybe Marriott saw that on my account and made an exception (?). Anyhow, if you have travel in mind I suggest giving them a call to see if you can use your NC beyond the expiration date.

lsed Aug 23, 2019 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by aujusco (Post 31441478)
My NC is extended.... sort of. I called asking the rep to make a reservation using a travel package certificate for 10/9-10/16 (3.5 weeks pass the NC expiration date) and she was able to do that. I was put on hold quite a bit since the rep didn't know how to attach the travel package certificate. I didn't mention the certificate was a NC or it was expiring on 9/14... just played dumb, and it worked! I'm super happy about it!

Arent you allowed to use the certificate for stays beyond the expiration - so long as it is attached prior to the expiration?
I have a reservation coming up where the stay is 3 days after the cert expiration, and I've already attached the certificate and so far everything seems fine
Just checking if I will have any troubles

Counsellor Aug 24, 2019 6:07 am

Originally Posted by lsed (Post 31450488)
Arent you allowed to use the certificate for stays beyond the expiration - so long as it is attached prior to the expiration?
I have a reservation coming up where the stay is 3 days after the cert expiration, and I've already attached the certificate and so far everything seems fine
Just checking if I will have any troubles

It's not clear. The general rule seemed to be that the certificate expires on the expiration date and is not good for dates thereafter (whether attached or not), but some have reported receiving extensions if they call in.

In aujusco's case (and yours), if it were me, I'd call in to make sure the certificate is extended so that it does not automatically disappear on expiration date. Some of the CSRs may not be taking steps to prevent expiration.

Happy Aug 24, 2019 8:44 am

Originally Posted by Counsellor (Post 31451381)
It's not clear. The general rule seemed to be that the certificate expires on the expiration date and is not good for dates thereafter (whether attached or not), but some have reported receiving extensions if they call in.

In aujusco's case (and yours), if it were me, I'd call in to make sure the certificate is extended so that it does not automatically disappear on expiration date. Some of the CSRs may not be taking steps to prevent expiration.

Very..Sound.Advice.

soy Aug 24, 2019 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by Counsellor (Post 31451381)

In aujusco's case (and yours), if it were me, I'd call in to make sure the certificate is extended so that it does not automatically disappear on expiration date.

+ keep screenshots and notes recording who I spoke to and when.....