Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Laylow, Autograph Collection -- Honolulu/Waikiki, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 10, 2017, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]

The property now provides $15/person credit in the restaurant, which will basically cover cereal & coffee.

Per Flyman:

They don't have the Executive Lounge while they have Executive Level rooms. What they have is an office-style galley on near the elevators on the Executive Level (15/16th floor) where you'll find coffee machine (powdered, not real milk), filtered room-temp water, whole fruit, and snack. In the mornings, they place ONE type of pastry (muffin/donut) and 1 type of juice - their version of continental breakfast. Plat/Gold can get to those floors (if your room is not on the Exec Level) by swiping your room key in the elevator.

The bar has happy hours everyday (4:30-6:30p), and seems to be popular with non-hotel guests as well.

Caution: make sure you get the room type you booked. FDM says there are errors between what Marriott shows for room types and what the hotel actually has.

TIP: From guest room elevator, don't take the elevator to the floor that says 'retail' it's not the ground and is currently a hallway with linens and storage, no way to exit to street. To exit the hotel go to lobby level (2nd) then take escalator to street.

TIP: Kona Coffee Purveyors is a great spot for coffee and pastries (sweet & savory). Exit the hotel and turn right. Just a few doors down, in front of the International Marketplace.

This email should work for contacting the hotel/requests:

[email protected]
Print Wikipost

The Laylow, Autograph Collection -- Honolulu/Waikiki, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2017, 8:11 am

Programs: Marriott titanium elite, Hilton Diamond
Unfortunately I can only choose between the Laylow and Marriott Waikiki beach, as I have a 7 day category 8 vacation package.

Ultimately decided on The Laylow as they have two king bed rooms (got three children), and is newer.
Disappointed about the lack of breakfast options at concierge level, so I guess got the added expense of paying for breakfast each morning.

Would have loved to be able to use the vacation package at one of the SPG properties,
maybe next year when they merge.

Scottmlew, why was your colleague negative about the property?
Old May 21, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by sutho
why was your colleague negative about the property?
His biggest issue was the misrepresentation regarding the "lounge". He stayed very close to opening, and they were claiming to have an "executive lounge", without any mention that it did not meet the standards of a traditional Marriott-family lounge...he feels that he was even led to believe (prior to his stay) that the "lounge" would include evening food and drink options. He also had some complaints about ongoing work to finish up the property, which he felt was being done at inappropriate times for a leisure-centric property, and a staff that was either apathetic or overly aggressive in trying to be "helpful".
Old May 21, 2017, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Kacee
But getting charged a resort fee to stay on Kuhio in a property that's also deliberately dodging the elite breakfast benefit? I join in the "no thank you."
And the last wasteland benefit:

SW waives the resort fee for Platinums if you ask nicely in exchange for paying a la carte for the items you do use.
Old May 21, 2017, 8:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I think the bottom line for this property (as mentioned up thread) is:

"This hotel is ideal for non-elite guests on leisure trips. Not for business travelers and not for Marriott elites."

Cheers.
Old May 22, 2017, 3:44 am

Programs: BAEC GOLD
Thanks for the insights.

Have 5 nights to book in HNL, am torn between this and Marriott Resort Waikiki as they're more or less the same price. Which one would you guys recommend. I have Marriott Gold elite
Old May 22, 2017, 7:12 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by db07mufan
Thanks for the insights.

Have 5 nights to book in HNL, am torn between this and Marriott Resort Waikiki as they're more or less the same price. Which one would you guys recommend. I have Marriott Gold elite
Hands down Marriott "on" the beach
Old May 24, 2017, 3:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Horace

Now I'm reading the hotel currently provides a minimal breakfast to Elite level guests, seemingly only slightly better than what guests get at a $50 per night TraveLodge.

No thank you.
The Laylow obviously doesn't care about guests. I've emailed the hotel three times about a June stay to no response.
Old May 24, 2017, 3:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Here's the big Q. Is there somewhere else in Hawaii that I should go? I have five nights in June. I don't drink a lot of alcoholic, but appreciate decent wine at night. I do, however, value a good breakfast as I awake by 5-5:30 a.m. every morning. Should I go to another island?
Old May 24, 2017, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
The Laylow obviously doesn't care about guests. I've emailed the hotel three times about a June stay to no response.
Did you use this email address below?
They replied back to me within a day:
[email protected]

I also have the personal email for the front desk manager.
Old May 24, 2017, 4:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sutho
Did you use this email address below?
They replied back to me within a day:
[email protected]

I also have the personal email for the front desk manager.
I've emailed the general manager directly.
Old May 24, 2017, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

It stuns me that you're willing to stay at a property that does a piss poor job on offering brekkie, or are you going to try & get a lot of bonus points out of it?

Cheers.
Old May 24, 2017, 5:16 pm

Then maybe email someone else there, if you are getting no response from the general manager.
Maybe the email address I posted before?
Old May 24, 2017, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Should I go to another island?
To answer this question. Pick another property than the Laylow & yes, other Marriott properties on different islands get good reviews.

Cheers.
Old May 24, 2017, 10:59 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Should I go to another island?
Hawaii has a number of resorts under the Marriott and Autograph Collection brands, but -- with the exception of The Laylow -- they are all resort properties, and so are exempt from the Gold/Platinum lounge/breakfast benefit.

The Laylow is an Autograph Collection hotel property, which means the Gold/Platinum lounge/breakfast benefit officially applies -- but this thread describes that the management of The Laylow has chosen to provide a coffee machine and a box of pastries or doughnuts, instead of anything resembling a true full-service Marriott Elite breakfast benefit. This makes me wonder how The Laylow deals with other Elite benefits.

Hawaii also has Courtyard and Marriott Vacation Club properties, but these brands do not offer a breakfast benefit for any guests (except those who book rates that includes breakfast).

Of course, there's a lot more to any vacation than breakfast. The emphasis on "free" breakfast in this thread is only because The Laylow seems to have a competitive advantage for attracting Gold/Platinum Marriott guests.

Marriott, Autograph Collection, and Courtyard properties should try to provide upgrades (such as better views) to Gold/Platinum guests.

Marriott Vacation Club properties do not provide upgrades because of how timeshare inventory works.

In other words, Gold and Platinum guests have many choices on Hawaii. There's no single "best choice," because much depends on what you want to see and do in Hawaii.

Don't forget the Starwood properties in Hawaii.

Last edited by Horace; May 24, 2017 at 11:06 pm
Old May 25, 2017, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Good summary Horace.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.