Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Vancouver, BC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Vancouver, BC

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2020, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by BenSenise
personally i like the sheraton but the location works better than the others. your location shows YYC so you'd qualify for their Resident Rate (code: L9Z) that includes parking and it has been really good for me in the past. i've been upgraded to a corner room on a very high floor as gold. never stayed there while i had plat status.
"Residents of British Columbia, Alberta, Washington, and California enjoy special percent off pricing as well as complimentary self parking for one vehicle."
If the OP isn't driving and prefer to take transit, the Delta is better since it's very close to the Waterfront station. I've stayed at all of those properties and I prefer the Delta.
gcashin likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 7:58 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
I am not a fan of the Sheraton. I spent 9 nights last month @ the Marriott. I like the staff - but - as you may be aware, Plat means very lttle post pandemic - room upgrade, free brekkie in the rest, late checkout, that's about it.
The Delta is directly opposite the Waterfront Station. Good location for transit, Sea Bus, etc.
Thanks for the info! That's about what I'd expect for Platinum benefits, but some hotels aren't offering breakfast, so that meets expectations!

Originally Posted by BenSenise
personally i like the sheraton but the location works better than the others. your location shows YYC so you'd qualify for their Resident Rate (code: L9Z) that includes parking and it has been really good for me in the past. i've been upgraded to a corner room on a very high floor as gold. never stayed there while i had plat status.
"Residents of British Columbia, Alberta, Washington, and California enjoy special percent off pricing as well as complimentary self parking for one vehicle."
Thanks for the info!

Originally Posted by lsquare
If the OP isn't driving and prefer to take transit, the Delta is better since it's very close to the Waterfront station. I've stayed at all of those properties and I prefer the Delta.
I occasionally do rent a car, but will likely be taking transit. From what I can tell on the What to Expect site, the Delta says they're not currently offering breakfast. Have you been there since reopening and is the no breakfast info online correct? Any insight on the views from the Delta?
Old Dec 30, 2020, 6:36 pm

Programs: AC*Gold50K; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; StarLux Explorer
Just walked by the Westin Grand recently. It's re-badging as a Hilton in early January. Stayed there a few times, was never overly impressed.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 4:45 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
reflections five months on.......

I had the impression (when I was there for nine days in August) there are way too many Marriotts in the LM - so I can't say I am surprised! I was particularly surprised there were 2 Westins. So this reflagging corrects that!
My PF is the Pinnacle. Following this thread I also see other FTs like the Delta - largely for its location. I preferred the Pinnacle because of how they dealt with the pandemic
Old Mar 1, 2021, 1:15 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
5 night stay coming up in a few weeks 50% work 50% leisure 100% out of my pocket. delta, residence inn, and marriott pinnacle are all the same price at 130+tax. wow never thought i would ever say that is cheap but here we are vancouver 2021. delta and residence inn don't have breakfast available so it looks like the marriott.

how is the breakfast for platinums? the upgrade chances? anyone stay here in the past few months? are upgrades at the delta for plats so gravy or the rooms are so nice with nice non-generic furnishings and decor that i may as well make my own breakfast arrangements x2? if marriott is mediocre then i am more than happy to just use expedia and pocket the 20-30% savings on a comparable room to a delta like a best western suites.

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
I had the impression (when I was there for nine days in August) there are way too many Marriotts in the LM - so I can't say I am surprised! I was particularly surprised there were 2 Westins. So this reflagging corrects that!
My PF is the Pinnacle. Following this thread I also see other FTs like the Delta - largely for its location. I preferred the Pinnacle because of how they dealt with the pandemic
you can never have too many marriotts in one metropolitan area. at least from the perspective as a customer, particularly a high night
customer who likes cheap 60usd night rooms for mattress runs.

what do you consider to be "too many"?

vancouver is metro of 2.4 million people and large tourism market and large ports, they have 17 properties (1:141k)
seattle is similar region mind you stronger economy and 3.7 million they have 55 properties or 1 per 66k inhabitants
other 2.4 million metros:
portland 44 properties or 1 per 55k
orlando 102 properties 1 per 23k..(granted orlando is an anomaly)
charlotte san antonio both got 71, or four (4) times the number of marriotts to LML.

i would argue there are not enough marriotts in the lower mainland.

Originally Posted by smes
Just walked by the Westin Grand recently. It's re-badging as a Hilton in early January. Stayed there a few times, was never overly impressed.
i snagged an upgrade to a corner suite here 2 summers ago. loved the floor to ceiling windows, the corner bed room, the bed, and the dinky balcony. good decor, nice big sectional couch, everything worked well with the layout. loved the location too. despite a great suite i don't remember being in love with this place. the pool scene in the summer was just ratchet, tiny pool and 30 families sharing the 5 deck chair beds. something also happened with plat breakfast it wasn't offered or they were closed or something. access to the pool required short cut thru the already compact gym so that was a bit disruptive to the people working on the mats near the door. i remember thinking how westin bayshore was 10000x better in every regard. not sad to see this go, hilton has a proud tradition of mediocre hotels
craigthemif likes this.

Last edited by cur; Mar 1, 2021 at 1:31 pm
Old Mar 1, 2021, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by cur
5 night stay coming up in a few weeks 50% work 50% leisure 100% out of my pocket. delta, residence inn, and marriott pinnacle are all the same price. delta and residence inn don't have breakfast available and i find deltas to be very mediocre with a restaurant open so it looks like the marriott. how is the breakfast for platinums? the upgrade chances? anyone stay here in the past few months? are upgrades at he delta for plats so gravy or the rooms are so nice with nice non-generic furnishings and decor that i may as well make my own breakfast arrangements x2? i'm also not afraid to just use expedia and pocket the 20% savings on a comparable room to a delta like a best western suites

you can never have too many marriotts in one metropolitan area. at least from the perspective as a customer, particularly a high night customer who likes cheap 60usd night rooms for mattress runs.
what do you consider to be "too many"?
vancouver is metro of 2.4 million people and large tourism market and large ports, they have 17 properties (1:141k)
seattle is similar region mind you stronger economy and 3.7 million they have 55 properties or 1 per 66k inhabitants
portland oregon is also 2.4 million but has more than 2.5 the properties at 44 or 1 per 55k
orlando also 2.4 million and they got 102 properties 1 per 23k...but we know the land of cruises and theme parks and mega conferences is an anomaly
charlotte san antonio 2.4 million inhabitants and similar importance on the convention/tourism circuit to vancouver and they both got 71, or four (4) times the number of marriotts to LML.

i would argue there are not enough marriotts in the lower mainland.
Westin Bayshore just resumed in-room dining last weekend and had all their restaurants opened, AAA/CAA rate has a nice $50 dining credit with free parking included (same for Marriott pinnacle). You should check that out.
I stayed for 1 night at Westin Bayshore as Gold and got upgraded to the tower with harbour view.
cur likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 10:10 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by cur
5 night stay coming up in a few weeks 50% work 50% leisure 100% out of my pocket. delta, residence inn, and marriott pinnacle are all the same price at 130+tax. wow never thought i would ever say that is cheap but here we are vancouver 2021. delta and residence inn don't have breakfast available so it looks like the marriott.

how is the breakfast for platinums? the upgrade chances? anyone stay here in the past few months? are upgrades at the delta for plats so gravy or the rooms are so nice with nice non-generic furnishings and decor that i may as well make my own breakfast arrangements x2? if marriott is mediocre then i am more than happy to just use expedia and pocket the 20-30% savings on a comparable room to a delta like a best western suites.
Platinum doesn't mean too much in Vancouver. The Sheraton Wall Center doesn't have many suites in the North Tower (if any) and the South Tower was fully closed in the fall; I doubt it's re-opened. The Platinum upgrade here (and at the Marriott Pinnacle) is a high view floor. Food is mostly in room or Sheraton has it in the lobby restaurant (a la carte) along with free drink vouchers for the lounge being closed. The JW Marriott Parq is good for suite upgrades, but it's way above the price point you've quoted. I think you should aim for location as your deciding factor.
cur likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 9:06 am

Programs: AC*Gold50K; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; StarLux Explorer
Originally Posted by cur

the pool scene in the summer was just ratchet, tiny pool and 30 families sharing the 5 deck chair beds. something also happened with plat breakfast it wasn't offered or they were closed or something. access to the pool required short cut thru the already compact gym so that was a bit disruptive to the people working on the mats near the door. i remember thinking how westin bayshore was 10000x better in every regard. not sad to see this go, hilton has a proud tradition of mediocre hotels
Totally agree with you on the pool. It's pathetic. The pool at the Sheraton Wall Center is also pretty bad too. One would have hoped they would have used this downtime for a massive non-disruptive reno, but I doubt it.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 12:57 pm
cur

thank you all. looks like marriott pinnacle. i will report on the plat breakfast situation. lounge is 0 issue being that i am in east van, home to some of my favorite galleries and bars such as keefers and pats. but i understand that vancouver downtown eastside is not the sort of vibe for most of the flyertalk crowd and/or those who are unable to be vigilant when transiting thru that neighborhood. also i would advise no one to park their cars on the street in this area overnight (as harmless as it seems) unless you have an insured rental which thieves seem to avoid knowing that they are of 0 value.

Originally Posted by smes
Totally agree with you on the pool. It's pathetic. The pool at the Sheraton Wall Center is also pretty bad too. One would have hoped they would have used this downtime for a massive non-disruptive reno, but I doubt it.
i am a huge hotel pool snob so these are my 2 loon tokens. unless it is a big glorious pool like westin bayshore or big glorious rooftop deck like pan pacific AND there is strict summer wristband policy so that the vibe is more hotel than municipal pool, Vancouver hotel pools are best indoors. when i think about a nice relaxing hotel stay in the pacific northwest i'm thinking wicked views and chill cocktails on a rooftop like the Nines in Portland. not so much pool vibes.

i actually think the sheraton wall center pool is very nice! there is nice natural lighting, from what i recall there was a sauna, and the facility is just all around nice but i say this as someone who despises cold and i attend pools to do breaststroke lengths while thinking about his day for 20-30 minutes at time. so it's great for that, in my view the sheraton wall center is an indoor pool success story. now an indoor pool at a place like the hilton americas houston is just insanity and i hope the investor and architect got fired for that.
unclepants likes this.

Last edited by cur; Mar 3, 2021 at 4:13 am
Old Mar 19, 2021, 4:19 pm
cur

Had 3 nights at Marriott Pinnacle and 2 at Wall as a Marriott Platinum. The cash rates in mid march/late winter of the rona situation were phenomenal.

Requested suite nights for both stays, accepted at Marriott, declined at Sheraton.

Marriott
Suite was very nice but I think all suites on 5th floor. So you get a balcony and I think they gave me the largest balcony, but no view except the harbor between the 3 condo towers in front. It was a very nice upgrade with a giant living room and if I had more than 3 friends in Vancouver this patio and set up would have been L I T for an after-covid-cutoff-party for at least 20 of my hypothetical friends (the room and patio were massive). But for couples chill out weekend it was too big. Would have preferred a nice view, which I think would have been given to me as a plat without any upgrade instruments. No complaints whatsoever, just a tip based on what your vibe may be.

Room was great, clean, cleaning of your room had to be scheduled the night before which we were amenable to. All staff were terrific. I think the pool was great, hot tub great, steam room and sauna closed. Big fan of the pool here for paddling lengths. The gym is also very good.

Plat breakfast was 100%. Anything off their breakfast menu. I hope they keep this instead of your usual north american lounge brekkie. I am very happy the hotel did this for their platinums instead of bare minimum like at a lot of places rn. The staff at this place were all PHENOMENAL, showed such great hospitality and attention to detail. Loved staying here.

Sheraton Wall Center
Suite night request denied but got a very nice corner deluxe room which had a nice view of north van and the harbor. Room was compact but big fan.

Breakfast was fine, pick anything off the club breakfast menu. It was good enough. The breakfast sandwich was nice both days.

The north (main) tower seems to be fully occupied right now, and I saw some lights on in the south tower, so maybe they're filling that up now. But maybe those were not hotel rooms I do not know. But suites seemed far and few between to be given out for free right now.

This place is also a quarantine hotel because I guess the government here closed the mandatory-self-incarceration-loophole for land border crosser, for any case anyone cares about that.

As lounge is closed, the sheraton also gave 500 points a night and 2x drink chits per night to be used whenever. Each chit is worth $15. So you can get a double of some nice scotch for 2 tix or a double well drink for 1 chit. You could take these to your room which was nice because their bar is ugly and badly decorated.

overall
sheraton better if you want to be close to the action

marriott better if you want to be near peace and quiet of convention center area, and if you want to get to the action around the sheraton wall center then it's a $6 taxi ride

both are nice but i liked marriott better. sheraton is more modern but marriott had better restaurant

when going on 0-3 mile trips, taxi way cheaper than ride apps

both properties had crappy low pressure showers that lacked hot enough water let alone enough water pressure to take a satisfying shower and it took forever to fill up the bath tubs and the water pressure of actual hot water was very low.

margarita girl and unclepants like this.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 5:02 pm

When we were at The Pinnacle a few years ago, we were upgraded to a corner room. The view of the harbor and mountains was spectacular.
We were able to watch those seaplanes landing from our bed. The room was not a suite but loved it.
It’s up there for one of my favorite rooms.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2021, 10:07 am

Programs: *wood plt,mrt plt, aa ex plt
Vancouver, BC Best Hotel & Lounge

Traveling to Vancouver, BC next May planning ahead

Hopefully we will be Covid Free and the lounges open.

Which property has the best location and lounge amenities providing they reopen?
Old Aug 27, 2021, 4:56 pm

Programs: Various airline, hotel and credit card programs
Originally Posted by rockdocs
Traveling to Vancouver, BC next May planning ahead

Hopefully we will be Covid Free and the lounges open.

Which property has the best location and lounge amenities providing they reopen?
I would recommend Sheraton Wall Centre on Burrard Street, perfect location in the city centre.
Have been visiting there every month since the pandemic began.
The hotel has always made lots of effort to recognize and grant Bonvoy benefits as applicable to status.
The lounge is still closed but may reopen when overall conditions improve.
Old Aug 27, 2021, 7:10 pm

I like staying at The Douglas, and then using the Executive Lounge at the JW Marriott Parq next door. (However, don't know if the Lounge is open with current COVID restrictions.)
Old Sep 28, 2021, 8:24 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Any recent Residence Inn stays? The room pics look like no other ResInn I've ever stayed at, which is a plus. Location seems pretty close to the Sheraton and the hipster area (well, it was the last time I was there which was about 6-7 years ago). There's a lot of good restaurants close by. Or were. Hope they survived the plague!

Corp rate of $US154 and only $US26 a night for parking makes it the best deal for such an expensive town. The other props want $40-50 for parking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.