Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Vancouver, BC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Vancouver, BC

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2023, 7:02 pm

Oops, that line made sense in context with a previous paragraph that I edited out as being irrelevant to a Marriott or AC lounge. I had written that the LCRB and LDB have been on a bit of a tear recently about private and semi-private clubs/lounges/etc stocking booze that was not purchased legally. Say a members only lounge at a golf course has an expensive bottle of scotch that you can't get in BC sitting in a locked cupboard or something, that a member brought in from Alberta or the US. They're super sensitive to that sort of thing these days.

The "free" part is relatively easy to get around as long as you aren't just brazenly handing out liquor to anyone who walks in off the street. For a private lounge accessible only by "premium" customers who have presumably shelled out plenty of money for the privilege to do so (if only indirectly), just keep a tab of all liquor consumed over the course of an hour/day/week, and invoice the loyalty department of your company. There, the booze is paid for. In some cases the LDB will even give you specific instructions on how to construct these invoices, how often they would like you to issue them, etc. But I've never heard of an LCRB inspector looking for them. The LCRB people are way more concerned about where the booze came from, and how it's being served. I'm sure anyone allowing customers to serve themselves in BC will have been required to construct all sorts of paperwork about duties and procedures for staff, and it will generally be a giant pain in the ....

At the end of the day, the LCRB General Manager can pretty much make up rules as they go, and they've always handled oddball situations (like an airport or hotel lounge) on a case by case basis. Eventually there will be enough of whatever type of business/event/product out there that they'll write something down on LCRB letterhead that can be passed around the industry as a rules interpretation. Attending a fundraiser or two for whoever happens to be AG at the time can help grease the wheels on stuff like this.
Old May 30, 2023, 11:59 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Also wondering what the best property is post covid? Spacious room and lounge would be nice.
Bumping this question as it seems to have gotten buried by the free booze discussion. Does Marriott have any top tier properties in Vancouver? I have stayed at Fairmount and Pan Pacific before and both are very nice, does Bonvoy have anything on that level?
Old May 30, 2023, 1:18 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
Bumping this question as it seems to have gotten buried by the free booze discussion. Does Marriott have any top tier properties in Vancouver? I have stayed at Fairmount and Pan Pacific before and both are very nice, does Bonvoy have anything on that level?
I really liked the Douglas last year and will be returning in about two weeks. While I haven't tried the JW, it's the same building and operator - assume it would be similar (though not true 5-star luxury).
Mr. BoH likes this.
Old May 31, 2023, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
I really liked the Douglas last year and will be returning in about two weeks. While I haven't tried the JW, it's the same building and operator - assume it would be similar (though not true 5-star luxury).
Well, to follow up further, based on your stays in 2022, how would you have ranked the properties that you'd stayed at in Vancouver?

David
Old May 31, 2023, 12:36 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by DELee
Well, to follow up further, based on your stays in 2022, how would you have ranked the properties that you'd stayed at in Vancouver?

David
I only stayed two nights at the Douglas (what even?) and one night at the Sheraton Wall Centre - the Douglas was better. I'll have better rankings in a few weeks.
Mr. BoH likes this.
Old May 31, 2023, 5:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
I did about 75 nights in YVR last year.

Sheraton YVR (does the job, almost 99% upgraded)
Marriott YVR
Metropolitan (really liked it, upgraded to a nice suite)
Sheraton Wall Centre
Marriott Pinnacle (almost 30 minutes to check-in, very poor service)
Civic Hotel (corner room views with floor to ceiling windows AMAZING!)

never got the chance for the Douglas as it was usually around $900 a night last year.
dw and lsquare like this.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 2:10 pm

Now that I've tried more than 2 Bonvoy properties in Vancouver, I feel more qualified to offer my subjective ranking (note the Sheraton Wall Centre is from a stay last year):
  1. The Douglas - this is very subjective, amazing bed, massive penthouse upgrade, good design
  2. Metropolitan (Renaissance) - great bed, great breakfast
  3. Westin Bayshore - great views, great bed, loved breakfast, no AMB welcome gift
  4. Marriott Pinnacle - great service, great bed, great views, breakfast offering in lounge could be larger
  5. Delta Downtown Suites - great bed, friendly staff, nice breakfast, bathroom cleanliness could be improved
  6. Sheraton Wall Centre - small suites (not even a couch), staff didn't want to give late checkout and tried to downgrade me from room booked IIRC, I do remember the bed being comfortable
yyzflyer, Mr. BoH and curlycabbage like this.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 12:37 pm

Anyone have discount code that I can use to book JW MARRIOTT PARQ VANCOUVER for one night ?
Old Aug 24, 2023, 9:25 am

Sheraton Vancouver Wall Centre or Delta Hotels Vancouver Downtown Suites?

I am debating between Sheraton Vancouver Wall Centre and Delta Vancouver Downtown Suites because both of them have three beds although the Delta hotel includes a sofa bed. We will have a car but would also like to be near some good restaurants. Has anyone stayed at one or both hotels? I only have Marriott Gold if that makes a difference.
Old Aug 25, 2023, 1:13 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by wujiamin
I am debating between Sheraton Vancouver Wall Centre and Delta Vancouver Downtown Suites because both of them have three beds although the Delta hotel includes a sofa bed. We will have a car but would also like to be near some good restaurants. Has anyone stayed at one or both hotels? I only have Marriott Gold if that makes a difference.
You will be fine at either place.

The Delia has smaller rooms generally, even though they are marketed as suites. The neighbourhood is less desirable if you are travelling with family.

The Sheraton has larger rooms, although not marketed as suites. They are more spacious, especially if in the south tower. The neighbourhood is more family friendly. I would probably be staying here over the two.

I wouldn't normally be driving from downtown to downtown restaurants and would try to pace it on walkability.

You can find a review of each on my website if you want to see more about the hotels and inside the rooms. Link below...

My humble thoughts!
Vaclav likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2023, 1:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold | Marriott Bonvoy LTP
Originally Posted by wujiamin

I'm a Vancouverite. Both the Sheraton and Delta are privately owned, and the people that own the Wall Centre also owns the Westin Wall in Richmond BC. I have had unsavoury experiences at the Westin, and ok-ish experience at the Sheraton. Haven't stayed at the Delta. But I do know the ppl that own the Delta and they have been in the business long time.

Location wise, if you are driving, the Sheraton is on Burrard Street, a large busy street with easy access to Burrard Street Bridge, Cambie Bridge, and Granville Bridge to leave downtown and head across to Vancouver proper, Richmond, etc. As well as good access towards Georgia Street to go to Stanley Park, or Lions Gate Bridge to head towards North/West Van, Whistler and beyond. The Delta is on the edge of Gastown and pretty much by the Waterfront area of Downtown Vancouver. Traffic will be a little tougher to head towards the Vancouver Bridges, there's also a few one way streets to familiarize yourself with. Although from the Delta to Stanley Park and Lions Gate Bridge, it may be quicker than from the Sheraton.

Delta location may possibly have more choices for food overall. Besides Gastown, Waterfront, and Yaletown areas there's Alberni Street. There's a few nice restaurants on those 2 blocks between Burrard and Bute. Also that area in general has quite a few places to eat, such as on Thurlow Street. It's a shorter walk to the Burrard/Alberni Streets area from the Sheraton.

I would like to echo the previous poster saying the Sheraton is in a more kid-friendly area.
Old Aug 25, 2023, 7:30 pm

I really enjoyed the Delta. Everything is within walking distance.........we walked to the Sheraton, walked to the JW...walked everywhere. Now in saying that if you don't feel comfortable doing that in the evening then just call an Uber. We didn't drive or rent a car while we were there. The service at the Delta was excellent and yes the rooms might be a bit smaller but I am thinking a little more modern. We did really enjoy the choices at Breakfast that were delicious and no nonsense benefits! We did try the JW and of course it is a step above but I would have no hesitation staying at the Delta again especially with the significant price difference.
unclepants likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 6:03 am

Thank you all for your input!! It was very helpful and appreciated!
Old Sep 1, 2023, 11:09 am

I ended up staying at the Sheraton Vancouver Wall Centre as several people said the location was more family friendly and also because it has three regular beds. So far I love it, the staff is very nice here, the rooms are great, the bed is so comfortable, and they gave me a late check out at 3 PM!!
Bravada04, LSEGallipot and JCT001 like this.
Old Sep 2, 2023, 11:52 am

I have a reservation at the Delta, 2-bed suite for one night in Nov. Since I booked it with 2 people, is that going to be an issue with 3 people staying?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.