FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Vancouver, BC (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1430343-marriott-bonvoy-hotels-vancouver-bc.html)

SeAAttle Mar 9, 2002 2:23 pm

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Vancouver, BC

I will be attending a conference in Vancouver, BC in July and have 3 hotel choices: Pan Pacific, Fairmont Waterfront, and Vancouver Renaissance. I assume the latter is the only one that is part of the Marriott Rewards program. Can someone confirm this? Any comments about the property would be appreciated. The conference is at the Vancouver Convention Center (sorry, Centre!) and I would like to stay very close (short walk).

Thanks

------------------
1MM AAPLT
Marriott Gold

Patron Mar 9, 2002 11:16 pm

Pan Pacific and Fairmont Waterfront are not part of Marriott Rewards Program.

Renaissance Vancouver Hotel is situated in the heart of Vancouver's financial district on a spectacular downtown waterfront location overlooking Burrard Inlet and the Northshore mountains. Just minutes away from Vancouver Convention & Exhibition Centre, Robson Street & Pacific Centre shopping, Stanley Park, restaurants, and entertainment. Newly renovated guest rooms featuring city or harbour views.

Point accrual is limited to individual travel and the room must be paid for individually by the member. If the member attends a convention or group meeting and individually pays Marriott directly for the room, he/she will be eligible to receive points for the stay. However, contract rooms, rooms reserved by corporations on an ongoing basis, master-billed rooms and rooms booked at the Marriott associate rate or friends and family rate are not eligible to earn points. Wholesale packages and series tours booked through a travel agent are not eligible for points.

fcrit Mar 16, 2002 11:12 am

The Renaissance is just fine, if you're focused on getting the Marriott points. It's a pretty standard Renaissance, with nice rooms, minibar, etc. Because of the building's shape, some of the rooms are a bit different, so try to get there early and sweet talk your way into one of the larger rooms (nearer the center of the floor, I remember). Also, try to make sure you get a room facing the harbor, if you like to watch the ships, seaplanes, etc. The view from these room is much better, especially on the lower floors.

tmorse6570 Mar 18, 2002 1:38 am

delete

Rudi Mar 18, 2002 1:48 am

Pan Pacific, Fairmont Waterfront, and Vancouver Renaissance.

Pan Pacific and Fairmont Waterfront (formerly the Canadian Pacific Waterfront) both have phantastic sight over the harbour (and in walking distance of the Convention facilities), Direct access to the main tube station. Swimming pools and Fitness centers on the top floor (sight-seeing).

I haven't been at the Renaissance, but great commentaries/know-how posted above.

All three are in walking distance from my favorite (french) Restaurant in Vancouver Le Gavroche (when ordering your meal, leave some 'space' for Lilly's cake ...).
http://www.legavroche.com/

I will be (again) in Vancouver over this Easter weekend, before going spring skiing at Whistler/Blackcomb (staying at the Farimont Hotel Vancouver, also formerly a Canadian Pacific Hotel, opened/inaugurated by Queen Elisabeth)

[This message has been edited by Rudi (edited 03-18-2002).]

Vasbyte Mar 18, 2002 9:21 pm

I have stayed at the Renaissance in Vancouver (on Hastings) many times over the past few years.

It is a fantastic property with a truly spectacular view of Stanley Park, Harbor and maintains of North Vancouver. But you must be very careful in selecting the right room.

The hotel has two different angles that face the water & thus the harborview rooms come in three flavors:

1. Those with a view of Stanley Park - these are OK but you don't really see much of the Harbor.

2. Those that face the harbor more directly and these are the most spectacular - these typically start with room number xx21 and higher.

3. Those that are in the area where the angle changes - these are OK but really offer only a restricted view of the harbor.

There are two different types of balcony - walkout and just stand at! Be sure that you select the right room and you will have a most memorable stay.

100,000miler Oct 17, 2002 7:20 pm

Vancouver--Marriott hotels

Any reports on the Marriott Residence Inn at 1234 Hornby St??? Thinking of staying there and wondering what it is like?

Reports on other Marriotts in Vancouver appreciated.

Patron Oct 17, 2002 7:36 pm

Vancouver, BC Hotels
Renaissance Vancouver
Vancouver AP Marriott

[This message has been edited by Patron (edited 10-17-2002).]

100,000miler Oct 23, 2002 5:42 pm

Yes, but any reports on these hotels, esp the Residence Inn on Hornby Street?

beatmesweety Oct 25, 2002 12:08 am

100000 miler...I just stayted in Residence Inn on Hornby Street last week for 4 days.

I enjoyed my stay there except that getting to the hotel during the business hours are slightly difficult because of "one way" and "no left turns" around the hotel..

They are charging ~ CAD 9 (don't remember the exact amount) for 1 night secured car parking. Their weekend breakfast is really good and they serve uptil 9.30 am on weekends and on weekdays they serve until 8.30...

On wednesdays they have evening snack from 5.30 to 7.30 pm..

You need to go the 2nd floor all the time since pool,spa,coin laundy, gym, breakfast room etc are there...there is a info machine there where you can print coupons for Free for the attractions.

They have a 7-11 just opposite to the hotel on the corner.

There is an internet cafe 2 blocks west in Davie street...For CAD 10 you can browse the internet for 4 hours (in 2 months period)

The room I stayed had a kitchen with a small dish washer and utensils..mini fridge, microwave etc..

basically I have no complaints about the hotel..

since it is right in the middle of the downtown most of the attractions are just minutes away..

only thing you have to make sure at the front desk is...about the entry of marriott rewards no in your reservation..I had to specifically tell them to enter that..they gave me a reciept only for parking...for other hotel charges they said it is being processed by some other company and they will send me later!! I hope they have included my rewards number in the reservations.

hope this gives you some idea..

Thanks.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by 100,000miler:
Yes, but any reports on these hotels, esp the Residence Inn on Hornby Street?</font>

[This message has been edited by beatmesweety (edited 10-25-2002).]

100,000miler Oct 27, 2002 8:15 pm

Thanks Beat:

I too am now just back and I stayed there at the same property. I found it to be a pretty good hotel and certainly an excellent value. I agree about the breakfast although it ends at 8:30am on weekdays which I found to be far too early to end it. I had to rush to get there.

Yes, I know the 7-11 and even the internet cafe on Davie!!! Small world.

I also stayed at the Rennaissance Vancouver for one night. Great hotel too esp if you get a harbourside view which is unmatched except for the Pan Pacific or Bayshore at 3 times the cost!

tatmtr7 Jan 3, 2005 5:30 pm

Which in Vancouver, the Ren or Marriott

We will attending a meeting this summer at the Westin Bayshore in Vancouver, but would like to use reward points to stay at either the Marriott or Renaissance. Any suggestions or advice? Any restaurant suggestions or must things to do in Vancouver as we have never been there. Thanks

Vasbyte Jan 3, 2005 5:46 pm

You are in for a treat!

Originally Posted by tatmtr7
We will attending a meeting this summer at the Westin Bayshore in Vancouver, but would like to use reward points to stay at either the Marriott or Renaissance. Any suggestions or advice? Any restaurant suggestions or must things to do in Vancouver as we have never been there. Thanks

You are in for a treat - Vancouver is a wonderful city - especially if staying at a downtown hotel on the water. The view is amazing! Sea, mountains, sea-planes landing & taking off every few minutes, ocean liners and container ships breezing by silently ... great restaurants & shopping along Robson street et al.

I have stayed at the Ren many times and it is a first class property. Make sure you get a harbouside room (it's worth the extra points) as you will have a magnificent view of Stanley Park, the harbor and the North Vancouver suburbs and mountain. The hotel has a curious shape fronting on the harbor side and be careful your room is not too close to the 'jog' in the facade as it will restrict your view. Also, the last time I was there, about 3 months ago, they were building a condo in front of the hotel - best to ask the hotel directly how high the condo is and if the view is now restrcited.

The Ren has a lounge on the 18th floor - pretty standard really. Curious that the lounge faces inland and not toward the sea.

I have also stayed at the Marrriot - which is right behind the Ren. Also an excellent property - but my pref is the Ren.

I will leave it up to the local Vancouverites for restaurant & specific sightseeing advice.

Enjoy!

acysb87 Jan 3, 2005 7:12 pm

I have stayed at both.
The Ren ,IMO,was more personable than the Marriott.
The view from the lobby bar at night was spectacular(how high is the condo?)
The rooms are nicer,meaning newer,at Marriott.Access is easier.
A tough call.My wife says the Ren :cool:

misty1tk Jan 4, 2005 6:21 am

I have stayed in both as well. Tough call. Ren is probably better choice.