Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Cancun [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Cancun [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2005, 9:00 am

Location: STL, MO-US and A , SWA A-List, Marriott LTTE, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
I asked for and received an upgrade(GLD at the time) in Apr '04. An upgrade is considered a higher floor room facing the large pool as opposed to a room facing the Casa Magna Marriott. All rooms have an ocean view, its just that the rooms facing the big pool have a much better view of the ocean.

I was on a award stay and did not pay any extra for this upgrade.

Tripadvisor.com has a ton of reviews on this property that includes a lot of helpful tips.
Old Mar 24, 2005, 9:44 am

Programs: Ex Marriot Platinum, CO Gold
Has anyone been to the hotel in late August?

Wondering how busy that time of year is.
Old Mar 24, 2005, 2:42 pm

My husband and I stayed at the JW with our two sons last August on an award stay. The hotel was at full capacity yet it never felt crowded. We asked for an upgrade and were offered one for the last three nights of our stay, but decided not to move. Our room was facing the Casa Magna, but we still had a view of the ocean.

We are returning this August, again on an award stay. This time we're paying the extra $90 for the club 91 service.

Cancun is very hot and humid in August. Spend all your time at the pool and you'll be fine. We toured the ruins at Chichen-Itza and the heat was unbearable.

What dates will you be there? We'll be there 8/16-24.
Old Mar 24, 2005, 5:00 pm
In Memoriam

As I recall, this hotel is in a "Vee" Shape, all rooms are Ocean view.

We went twice as gold, once as platinum, zero upgrades after valiant attempts.

Very Pretty property, right next door to the Ritz Carlton (imagine that) with decent restraunts. Back then they had an all you can eat lobster night, my personal record was eight (hey they were small).

The breakfasts were great.

Great pool, outside poolbar.

If there is one reason I miss doing business with Marriott, this property is it.
Old Mar 24, 2005, 7:35 pm

Location: STL, MO-US and A , SWA A-List, Marriott LTTE, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by underpressure

Very Pretty property, right next door to the Ritz Carlton (imagine that) with decent restraunts. Back then they had an all you can eat lobster night, my personal record was eight (hey they were small).

If there is one reason I miss doing business with Marriott, this property is it.
The JW is actually shaped like a "T" and one wants to be on the north side of the T facing the large pool. The Ritz is two hotels North and the JW is a very, very close second to the Ritz.

Be persistant when asking for the upgrade, ask and you shall receive if you have status. It's worth it!!
Old Mar 25, 2005, 4:56 am
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by ALARISstl
The JW is actually shaped like a "T" and one wants to be on the north side of the T facing the large pool. The Ritz is two hotels North and the JW is a very, very close second to the Ritz.

Be persistant when asking for the upgrade, ask and you shall receive if you have status. It's worth it!!

I recalled wrong, I was thinking of the regular marriott. ^
Old Mar 25, 2005, 6:59 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Premier Exec, Marriott Rewards Gold, HHonors Gold
Thanks !

Thanks for the info everyone. I'm going in early may, if you need any info just let me know. I am an expert on the Detroit Marriott

Last edited by Bogbrush; Apr 2, 2005 at 3:07 pm
Old Mar 25, 2005, 1:34 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, United Club Life Member, UA *S

The hotel is actually a "T" shape (you can see many aerial images of it by searching at images.google.com).

The hotel is not right next door to the Ritz Carlton. The Ritz Carlton is about 4 properties north of the JW. Next door to the JW on the south side is the CasaMagna Marriott.

We were on a week award stay in mid-December. Without asking, this platinum was given a room on a high floor facing north. The "worst" view would be on a low floor facing south. But all the rooms are beautiful, and you probably won't spend too much time in the room anyway.
We did ask about comping us to breakfast, but that request was graciously refused.
Old Mar 31, 2005, 8:29 pm

Programs: EX AC/E; AA PLAT; MARRIOTT DIAMOND; SPG GOLD
I will also be staying on points at the JW Marriott in April. Second time I vacation there with my family. It is a great hotel.

This time I have Plat status. As such, do we qualify for courtesy room upgrades? What about Club 91 access? Anybody used Club 91 so far? Is it worth it for a family of 4?
Old Apr 1, 2005, 9:06 am

Let us know abt your trip...

Originally Posted by eric.attias
I will also be staying on points at the JW Marriott in April. Second time I vacation there with my family. It is a great hotel.

This time I have Plat status. As such, do we qualify for courtesy room upgrades? What about Club 91 access? Anybody used Club 91 so far? Is it worth it for a family of 4?
The beautiful Mrs. Galt and I are going in mid-May. Let us know if there are any "insider rips" we should know, and if the bullring is open....
Old Apr 2, 2005, 8:22 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver, HHonors Silver, United MileagePlus, Jet Blue TrueBlue
Originally Posted by eric.attias

I will be there from 4/26 to 5/1 with wife and two daughters (7 & 2). We decided to upgrade to Club 91 (had a deluxe ocean view). For $100 a day the 5 courses of food, better rooms and overall benefit seemed worth it. They also include transfers to and from the airport. Let me know if you need anymore info. We have a King bed room and requested a rollaway.

TripAdvisor.com reviews LOVED this place...only thing that concerns me is that the hotel gets LOTS of conventions. I emailed the Club91 concierge and they mentioned FOUR groups would be having conventions the days we will be there. Hopefully they are small/quiet groups!!!

Either way we cannot wait!!!! ^
Old Apr 2, 2005, 9:45 am

Back then they had an all you can eat lobster night

They still have that night on Wed. and I think also Fri or Sat. It is spectacular. I'm not that big on desserts, but the ones here are unbelievable. My plan for the next time I go (Nov) is lobster and dessert only. No more filling up on steak and shrimp.
Old Apr 3, 2005, 12:34 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, United Club Life Member, UA *S
Originally Posted by frankhi
Back then they had an all you can eat lobster night

They still have that night on Wed. and I think also Fri or Sat. It is spectacular. I'm not that big on desserts, but the ones here are unbelievable. My plan for the next time I go (Nov) is lobster and dessert only. No more filling up on steak and shrimp.
Are you refering to the JW Club 91?
Old Apr 4, 2005, 9:58 am

No, a buffet they have in the main restaurant.
Old Jul 17, 2005, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA 2P; AAGold;HHonors Diamond
JW Cancun on The Weather Channel

The Weather Channel right now is showing some shots of the JW in Cancun as Emily approaches...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.