Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Cancun [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Cancun [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2005, 9:47 am

Programs: SPEBSQSA
Bonus Bucks: Usually, you can use one bonus buck for each two-night stay. In crazygrow's example, they stayed eight nights, so they could use four.

Check on Coupon Connection before going to eBay as there are always some available there. Also, be wary of buying them on eBay (would give you specific posts to reference if Search was working.)

Bob
Old Feb 16, 2005, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by AZ_MISMAN
Bonus Bucks: Usually, you can use one bonus buck for each two-night stay. In crazygrow's example, they stayed eight nights, so they could use four.

Check on Coupon Connection before going to eBay as there are always some available there. Also, be wary of buying them on eBay (would give you specific posts to reference if Search was working.)

Bob
AZ_MISMAN, if you are still around, could you give an example of problems people have had. I have bought about 30 bonus bucks off ebay and have never had a problem with them. I'm planning on buying six premium bonus bucks (denoted in British pounds) for an upcoming trip to Athens and would like to hear what you have to say.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 1:16 pm

If you drink a decent amount then you got a steal......some of the drinks there can be a bit pricey.

However, it's a great hotel and I think you will be pleased.

As an aside, did you check the JW rates for the same dates and package type? Sometimes the JW is only a few dollars more per night; it's a much fancier hotel, and the restaurants there are better (the Italian restaurant there is phenomenal....Gustino's). The rooms are also much more elegant, and the hotel itself is less than 4 years old (although the CasaMagna did not feel worn at all).

You can use the pools at the JW, though I will admit, with kids, you may get some looks at the pool to the right as you are facing the ocean (nearer the Marriott) as that seemed to be 'adults only' when we were there.

As far as the King rooms, just FYI, I don't believe any of the ocean front rooms at the CasaMagna Marriott have kings.....seems, strange, I know. Maybe that has changed in the past year.

I haven't seen the real steal packages of $99 here in a long time.

Seeing how much is included in your package, you might be hard pressed to spend $300 while at the hotel, unless they allow you to use that towards spa treatments or the booze in the gift shop.

Some decent shopping in the JW if you are looking for silver jewelry. Their prices were very reasonable for a hotel shop. (That was a separate concession that would not let us charge to the room, so I assume Bonus Bucks would not count here either.) Of course, you should also take the bus that stops right outside the hotels; it's cheap, safe and direct. Don't hesitate because this is Mexico; the bus system runs well and will take you to lots of shops and bazaars.

We enjoyed a day trip by boat to Isla Mujeres. Got a 2 for 1 coupon in one of those books they hand out at the airport, and that came in very handy (under $50 rt for a family of 5). It was a fun excursion. You can ride around the island in a golf cart and the kids will have fun.

The water in Cancun looks rough but in my experience, it hasn't been. Of course, check your conditions daily, but coming from Long Island as I do where the beaches have a wicked riptide, the Cancun waves looked similar but actually were much more tame.

The Marriott staff was wonderful; attention to detail was the key here, and they did it well. A very caring staff, and I wrote to the GM after our trip to tell him just that.

I am sure you all will have a great time.

Last edited by flyerwife; Feb 16, 2005 at 1:19 pm
Old Feb 16, 2005, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA, AA, BA, DL, US, SPG, MR, HH
Depending on your kids, the high-end restaurants at the Marriotts may not work out so well. They are very formal and designed for an elaborate, slow paced evening. Example -- At Gustino's, we went with our kids right at the opening, figuring it would be quiet then and they'd want to expedite our service and get us out of there. In Marriott style they were all very nice and accommodating (one child just wanted a simple pizza -- OK, even if not on menu), but they seemed absolutely unable to speed up the service (it took forever to just to get the menus after we were seated, for one example). It reminded me of the top-level restaurants at Disney World -- "look, you've signed on to have an Experience tonight. You will be Very Impressed. There is one Order of Events for each step of the evening. Everything that arrives at this table will come with a Formal Ritual that dictates how it is Presented. This is what Fine Dining is." But they can't deviate from the script.

I would recommend the Japanese restaurant for the Teppanyaki menu (prepared in front of you) -- just make sure this menu doesn't require you to pay a supplement.

Breakfast and pool menus at the JW are slightly better at the JW than at the Casa Magna.

They don't make it easy to use the pool at the JW if you're staying at the Casa Magna, but they don't seem to forbid it either. You absolutely can't have any JW green towels. But, if you want to stand out from the crowd with the Casa Magna blue towels that you carried over, they allow that. JW pool is definitely quieter -- no competition for lounge chairs.

Especially with kids, the Gulf beach at the Casa Magna is more swimmable -- especially at the far end from the JW. There is a very long shelf of sand that keeps the water about knee deep there -- even on rough days, this spot had yellow flags while red flags were everywhere else. Kids spent more time in that surf than they ever did at any other vacation.

Overall, the off-property food in Cancun was not too impressive compared to other places we've been. Lots of shopping-mall, theme-oriented restaurants. They're well run factories. So, if you just want to relax, the package may work out well.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 7:40 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver, HHonors Silver, United MileagePlus, Jet Blue TrueBlue
First of all thanks for all the replies. The plans have changed I think!! I enjoy shopping around online looking for low rates and may have hit the MOTHERLOAD of good deals! My wife suggested looking at the JW Marriott and the lowest price I could find for an premium oceanview room was $459 before tax (Marriott website and Travelocity among others). Anyway I called Costco Travel today and they had rooms available at the JW for the time we were going. The concierage level rooms were roughly the same as the Marriott website but the same premium oceanview room I was looking for was $1000 for the five nights INCLUDING TAX. They also offer, for an additional $47.50, four round trip airport transfers back and forth...total price $1047.50! We included the transfers and the way I see it, you can't beat it!

To compare if I had bought the room thru the Marriott website the total for the five nights with tax (12%) would have been $2570.40. I am saving $1570 for the five nights!!!! Anyway for that price I probably am going to cancel the $389 a night ($436 with tax) CasaMagna deal. I do like the thought of an "all-inclusive" but this deal is just too good to be true. I told my wife the total for the CasaMagna would have been $2178.40 with tax. We will have almost $1200 in our pocket to spend on food for the trip and be in a superior hotel. Plus we're not "locked" into one resort for food. Not to mention unlimited Pina Coladas around the pool could've been scary!

The pro is of course saving $1500!

The cons are: no Marriott awards points for the stay. Certainly anything charged to the room (meals, etc.) I assume I'd get credit for. Not a huge deal to me. Also I will have to pay $400 up front and then the entire amount about a month in advance and there are cancellation penalties after seven days. When you book thru Marriott they allow me to cancel almost until the day we leave.

Two questions:

1. Can I use TWO bonus bucks for this five night stay? Since the nightly room charges won't be on the bill I figure these would go towards food and anything else charged to the room. Is this OK?

2. What are the chances of getting upgraded (no problem paying more) by asking the front desk at check in? The front desk would have a record of my reservation but I am pretty sure would not know the price I paid. I think all they know is I booked thru Costco travel. Perhaps $50-$100 a night extra is worth it for the Concierge, or Club 91 level? Or maybe a bigger room with a better view? Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Marc

Last edited by gores95; Feb 16, 2005 at 7:48 pm
Old Feb 17, 2005, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA, AA, BA, DL, US, SPG, MR, HH
Marriott can be easy to deal with for upgrades, under certain condictions (this is based on experience as Marco Island, JW Mexico City, Boston Copley, and Casa Magna Cancun).

--They need plenty of inventory. Both cancun Marriotts have seemed pretty quiet lately.
-- Ask to talk to a manager. Especially outside the U.S., front line staff seem reluctant to make financial exceptions, but at Marriott managers have a lot of leeway.
-- ask them if they might let you pay something for an upgrade. My impression is that the people who manage the revenue per room are willing to give up something "free" (excess room inventory) for a little locally-earned revenue. Works best when you're offering cash on top of an MR points or a wholesaler reservation, because your upgrade cash goes 100% to the hotel.

That said, Club 91 might be tough to get. This product is meant to put the JW on a par with Ritz Carlton Club Level. Given how elaborate it is, RC rarely allows upgrades to this level without a significant increase in rate. Access to this product is never to be associated with discounts or deals.

FWIW on a points stay at the Casa Magna last month, we upgraded to a 1 bedroom oceanfront suite for an extra $80 per night.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 6:43 am

gores95,

Good choice in moving to the JW. It's a beautiful property.

Don't spend your $1500 'savings' quite yet..... remember, you now have to pay for all your food, which will probably 'eat up' about $200 per day. And then there's the drinks...

I don't believe they will let you use a Bonus Buck on the package you have, but my theory is that it never hurts to try.

If I am not mistaken, all of the rooms at the JW have a view of the ocean, so I don't think you'll need to press for an upgrade there. As far as Club 91, there are several past threads on this subject (and when the 'search' function comes back, use it to find them).....I think some people reported being able to pay $100 extra per day for it (when it first became available) and said it was worth every penny. Again, definitely worth it to make a call or send an e-mail before you go. They are very accomodating there and if you can get it for $100 per day you are WAY ahead of the game, both in terms of price and quality.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by gsilliman
Depending on your kids, the high-end restaurants at the Marriotts may not work out so well. They are very formal and designed for an elaborate, slow paced evening. Example -- At Gustino's, we went with our kids right at the opening, figuring it would be quiet then and they'd want to expedite our service and get us out of there. In Marriott style they were all very nice and accommodating (one child just wanted a simple pizza -- OK, even if not on menu), but they seemed absolutely unable to speed up the service (it took forever to just to get the menus after we were seated, for one example). It reminded me of the top-level restaurants at Disney World -- "look, you've signed on to have an Experience tonight. You will be Very Impressed. There is one Order of Events for each step of the evening. Everything that arrives at this table will come with a Formal Ritual that dictates how it is Presented. This is what Fine Dining is." But they can't deviate from the script.

I agree with you, gsilliman, about the pace at Gustino's. It was definitely a high-end restaurant and was not a place to catch a quick bite.

However, knowing how agonizing a long meal can be for young children (like the original poster has), what I usually do in those situations is tell the waiter immediately upon being seated that we are in a bit of a 'time crunch' and would like to order ASAP. Once the ordering is done, let the server know that you are ready for the food as soon as it is cooked. Sometimes I would even mention something like "it's hard for the kids to sit too long" or "all the kids want to do is get back to the room". In most cases, the servers are happy to accomodate you. Heck, it gets kids out of their dining room faster (and we all know the effect the sight of kids can have on some members of the traveling public )and it frees up their table for another party.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 7:24 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver, HHonors Silver, United MileagePlus, Jet Blue TrueBlue
Originally Posted by flyerwife
gores95,

Good choice in moving to the JW. It's a beautiful property.

Don't spend your $1500 'savings' quite yet..... remember, you now have to pay for all your food, which will probably 'eat up' about $200 per day. And then there's the drinks...

I don't believe they will let you use a Bonus Buck on the package you have, but my theory is that it never hurts to try.

If I am not mistaken, all of the rooms at the JW have a view of the ocean, so I don't think you'll need to press for an upgrade there. As far as Club 91, there are several past threads on this subject (and when the 'search' function comes back, use it to find them).....I think some people reported being able to pay $100 extra per day for it (when it first became available) and said it was worth every penny. Again, definitely worth it to make a call or send an e-mail before you go. They are very accomodating there and if you can get it for $100 per day you are WAY ahead of the game, both in terms of price and quality.
Thanks for the replies. I guess I should call Marriott to check if the Bonus Bucks would be valid. I would think if we spend $1000+ on food and drinks they should work but I will check.

As for calling or emailing the hotel BEFORE arrival with my ugrade request...great idea! Since I booked thru Costco, when would this reservation show on their computer? Again I do not mind paying for an upgrade if it is worth it. I guess when I check in we should probably take a peek at the Premier Oceanview room that we booked and then the offered upgraded room first? Is this how you handle upgrade offers? Never having been to the hotel not sure what the rooms look like.

Thanks again.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 7:49 am

Programs: SPEBSQSA
You won't be able to use your Bonus Bucks for the prepaid rate as it is just that, prepaid. (There is another thread posted recently about BBs and prepaid rates. The answer, from [b]socrates[/] or Marriott Concierge was that, as the rate is prepaid, there is nothing to adjust.)

However, you *should* be able to use them to cover incidentals.

Bob
Old Feb 19, 2005, 8:46 am

Programs: Marriott Rwards, Delta Skymiles
lweverett

I was there on an awards stay in Jan. I was allowed to update to Club 91 after I got my confirmation from Marriott. As I made my reservation well in advance, the rate was $80.00 per night. When I got there they tried to charge $90.00, but honored the original $80.00. The rate included the upgraded room, all on the 14th floor, and club privileges for up to four. I believe all rooms would be considered ocean view, these rooms had a larger balcany which was of limited value since it still had only a small table and 2 very uncomfortable chairs. If you do upgrade, when you arrive ask for a room on the north side if possible at check in as this side overlooks the main pools. I did not, but if you do upgrade, I would ask the Club 91 people if better balcony furniture is available, especially since there will be 4 of you. The upgraded room and free breakfast alone will pay for your upgrade, and the rest will be gravy.
Old Feb 19, 2005, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by lweverett
I was there on an awards stay in Jan. I was allowed to update to Club 91 after I got my confirmation from Marriott. As I made my reservation well in advance, the rate was $80.00 per night. When I got there they tried to charge $90.00, but honored the original $80.00. The rate included the upgraded room, all on the 14th floor, and club privileges for up to four. I believe all rooms would be considered ocean view, these rooms had a larger balcany which was of limited value since it still had only a small table and 2 very uncomfortable chairs. If you do upgrade, when you arrive ask for a room on the north side if possible at check in as this side overlooks the main pools. I did not, but if you do upgrade, I would ask the Club 91 people if better balcony furniture is available, especially since there will be 4 of you. The upgraded room and free breakfast alone will pay for your upgrade, and the rest will be gravy.
Thanks for the info. Since I booked thru Costco I guess I have to wait until the reservation shows in Marriott's computer (should be in there by now). I tried to upgrade directly thru Costco but they did not have any Club 91 rooms. Should I try the 1800 Marriott number or the hotel directly? One last thing did your Club 91 room have a sofabed? We have two kids with us so its either that or requesting a rollaway bed.

Marc
Old Feb 22, 2005, 7:09 pm

Club 91 upgrade

Originally Posted by lweverett
Thanks for the info. I had sent an email directly to the hotel and was answered back this morning. For $100 a night they will upgrade us to the Club 91 level. Not sure if its worth haggling (since I was not offered the $80 upgrade) but even at $100 with FIVE food presentations a day and an upgraded room I think its worth it. I think I will send them an email anyway and mention that since I do not need the airport transfers could they lower the $100.

Even at $100 a night is the upgrade worth it?

Thanks,

Marc
Old Mar 23, 2005, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Premier Exec, Marriott Rewards Gold, HHonors Gold
JW Marriott Cancun

Has anyone stayed at this hotel recently? How are they on upgrades for Gold card holders? Can you get access to the Club Level?

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 24, 2005, 6:43 am

Programs: Ex Marriot Platinum, CO Gold
Club 91 is not a regular lounge, and you don't have access to it unless you pay for it. I'm not sure how upgrades are, but I'm curious as I'm staying on an award stay in August. I'm not expecting anything, but would love to have a better view without shelling out the extra cash.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.