Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Cancun [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Cancun [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2005, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by frisbeeace
I booked at the JW for next January for my family (kids 13 and 3) using a Marriott award. After staying at AI hotels in the Playa del Carmen area I honestly donīt believe that the JW can rival the wide array of activities that they got there. The following week we go back to the Akumal area where we had a terrific time.
We loved Akumal. Will you do a cenote dive? They also have an interesting dry cave you can walk through (I think it's called Aktun Chen)
Old Oct 20, 2005, 4:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis Preferred
You know, I wasn't really kidding...

It would be very unwise to book ANYTHING in Cancun right now until it is quite clear that the Hurricane won't cause major damage. Or, I suppose you could book it, but don't buy nonrefundable plane tickets.

It can take years for communities like Cancun to recover from major storms, and if Cancun takes a direct hit on a Cat 4 or 5 storm, that is what they're looking at.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 6:38 pm

Programs: CO Plat, AC Elite, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
I was planning on waiting to book until after the storm just to see if we should consider somewhere else instead. Hopefully Wilma is not too harsh on Mexico and dies off before heading to FLA.

What type of extra amenities do Club 91 rooms have? Any idea of what types of things the Kids club does? Is it basically just a baby sitting service or do they actually do stuff?

We're planning on about 10 days in the spring, so we'd have lots of time to take things in.

I'm not worried about dirty looks from any 'Holier Than Thou' guests at a JW. My kids are well behaved and very considerate of other people, except when they are in the comfort and familiarness of thier own home killing each other
Old Oct 21, 2005, 1:06 pm

Location: STL, MO-US and A , SWA A-List, Marriott LTTE, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MFLetou

It would be very unwise to book ANYTHING in Cancun right now until it is quite clear that the Hurricane won't cause major damage. Or, I suppose you could book it, but don't buy nonrefundable plane tickets.

It can take years for communities like Cancun to recover from major storms, and if Cancun takes a direct hit on a Cat 4 or 5 storm, that is what they're looking at.
The JW was built to withstand a Cat 5 hurricane, the Casa was not.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by ALARISstl
The JW was built to withstand a Cat 5 hurricane, the Casa was not.
Both hotels look pretty sturdy--not high-rises, and are made of reinforced concrete and are built with about a 30' rise from the beach to the ground floor (seawall and landscaping). The JW has THICK walls.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 4:47 pm

Programs: Bonvoy TE(LT), DL DM(Retired) 1MM, AA EXP
There is a thread about it on here, but Mrs HawkSE and I rode out Emily (a small Cat.4) earlier this season at the JW from a 14th floor (Club 91) ocean front suite. Though the eye hit about 60 miles south in Tulum, we never left our room. The property was fine, I hope all goes as well if anyone is stuck there for Wilma.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by flyerwife
[...]but some guests may give you the "oh no, don't bring those kids over here" look. Ignore them.
We stayed at the Westin Regina on our trip with a 2-yr old and 2 x 5-yr olds. Walking across the beach toward Punta Nizuc(sp?) some lady from the Club Med nextdoor tried to tell me the kids weren't allowed to walk on the beach. I kindly informed her that all beaches in Mexico are public, and while the kids may not be permitted on the Club Med property, they are certainly permitted to walk across the beach (we weren't camping on the Club Med beach, just trying to get across it).
Old Oct 24, 2005, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by MFLetou

Both the JW Marriott and CasaMagna Marriott have suspended new bookings through May 1, 2006.

Old Oct 24, 2005, 9:42 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by flyerwife
Both the JW Marriott and CasaMagna Marriott have suspended new bookings through May 1, 2006.
---

Ye, sadly, they were hit awfully hard!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...=484092&page=1

It seems to me that it may well take a few years to get back to "normal."

Mark
Old Oct 24, 2005, 12:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards
Booked for Cancun in Feb. with Rewards Cert.

Sounds like all bookings have been put off until at least May 2006. I got an awards cert. for a couple of the nights that we were staying. Can I just send it back and have them credit my points so I can make another choice at another time?
Old Oct 24, 2005, 3:00 pm
Original Member

Is this a paper or electronic "cert?"

If electronic, I've done this as recently as four weeks ago on line. Don't know about a real, paper one, though.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 3:10 pm

Yes, I've done it with paper certs.
My main concern was what if they got lost in the mail, so I called Marriott and they said not to worry about sending them back. They have a record of the cert #s so its easy enough to tell that they have been used.
I can't even honestly remember if I sent them back or if they just voided them and gave credit, so call and ask, but I do know that for certain that they will return the points to your account.

However, if you plan on using the cert anytime soon for a similarly categoried stay, just keep the cert you have. It is not specific to a particular hotel (unless its the 563 Hawaii cert or some other specialized cert), and it will save you the time in ordering another.Remember, you have a year from date of issue to use or return them.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Both are beautiful--but I would go for the JW for a similar price. But if you can get a larger room/suite at Casa Magna for the same price, definitely the better option.

Since the benefits for MR silver are not that great, you should consider other properties as well. The great thing about Cancun is the HUGE number of great hotels. One that is worth checking is the Hilton--but check out tripadvisor.com to see reviews at all the major hotels.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 1MM - Marriott Silver
Wilma may change our plans

Originally Posted by travelexpert
Both are beautiful--but I would go for the JW for a similar price. But if you can get a larger room/suite at Casa Magna for the same price, definitely the better option.

Since the benefits for MR silver are not that great, you should consider other properties as well. The great thing about Cancun is the HUGE number of great hotels. One that is worth checking is the Hilton--but check out tripadvisor.com to see reviews at all the major hotels.
Today I read in the newspaper that both hotels will be closed until the end of the year. I still haven't find accurate information about the extent of the damage to these properties and the beach. I would bet that Marriott will have everything immaculate by that time but if there was significant erosion to the beach that could be more challenging to fix. I'm not sure if I should cancel and choose another destination at this point. Any information or suggestions?
Old Oct 25, 2005, 7:26 pm

Cancun - Status of the Hotels

I have a stay booked at the JW the first week of January and am wondering about what Wilma has done to the area. The pictures on the TV showed significant damage to the area . . .

Wonder what is left there??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.