Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Cancun [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Cancun [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2020, 9:58 am

Programs: AA Plat, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Diamon
I've stayed at the JW Cancun twice and the Marriott Cancun once over the past couple months. I also spent a night at the Westin Lagunamar. Elite recognition is pretty slim at both the JW and Marriott.

The JW recently underwent a renovation last year/earlier this year. The rooms are nicer and more up to date than those at the Marriott. The times we stayed there were on higher floors. But it seems like all of the rooms at the JW have some sort of view.

The Marriott is currently undergoing a renovation. So there's a steady amount of construction going on. A fair amount of noise. Elevators being out of service. Some of the "partial ocean view" rooms, especially on the lower floors barely qualify as that.

The Marriott is cheaper. I've seen recent rates as low as $120/night with taxes included. The lowest rates at the JW have been about $40 to $50 more.

No matter which hotel you are staying at you can use the amenities at the other property.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 10:00 am

delete

Last edited by zagguru; Dec 20, 2020 at 10:16 am
Old Dec 20, 2020, 10:02 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by zagguru
according to here, its only $20 to upgrade to club 91. Anyone know what the hotel actually charges for this to upgrade?
https://www.luxurytraveldiary.com/20...ges-in-cancun/
This would be better in the JW thread but that is not true. The cost to upgrade is definitely more than $20 and the exact price depends on a variety of factors. There are several posts in the JW thread about the cost. You can always email the hotel.
zagguru likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by hhoope01
I have a trip coming up in early December as well. Most of my stay will be at the RC, but our first 2 nights are at the JW. From the reviews I've been reading, it seems most of the negative (or at least not positive) reviews seem to come from Plat/Titanium members. At the JW, I'd say expect to received the minimum elite recognition possible. For example, don't expect a late check-out, a noticeable upgrade, and a continental breakfast. It seems as long as you go in expecting limited elite benefits, you will probably enjoy your stay.

As for the rate, I made my reservations earlier this year. When all the virus restrictions hit, most of the Cancun hotels really dropped their rates. But I have seen them slowly raise them over the summer/fall. I did stay at the JW in January back in 2018 and had around a $200/night rate, but that included both Club 91 access with a Premium oceanview room and $100/day room credit. So they do have some decent rates at times though you have to plan in advance for them.
So how was your stay? How did each property compare?
Old Dec 24, 2020, 3:11 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I posted about the RC part of the stay in the RC Cancun thread. You can check it out there. As for the JW, we decided to stay at the Hyatt Ziva (in one of their Club Corner Suites) for 3 nights using Hyatt points instead of staying at the JW. I thoroughly enjoyed the oceanfront suite we had at the RC and will definitely be back at the RC.
Old Dec 24, 2020, 7:20 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

During our last trip to Cancun, we stayed at IHG Presidente, RC Cancun and Hyatt Ziva. Here are the detailed reviews:
https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...in-cancun-3439
https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...n-classic-3442
https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...sort-read-3441

All family members have about the same experience. We like IHG Presidente the best and Hyatt Ziva the last. We paid for the upgrade at IHG and we were treated really well with oceanfront room and very quiet lounge with full staff. At RC, we also paid for the suite upgrade at a corner suite with great view. But it is RC and nothing was included. So we did not feel we were the "elite" there and everything is $$. Then Ziva is more for budget travelers. After one day, the food gets hard to eat. We tried many places and the food quality can't compare with either IHG or RC.

So if you like to stay at multiple hotels in one trip, it may be better to stay at budget type first, then better ones later.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 11:08 am

Which site is more reliable for weather forecast? Accuweather and Weather.com have completely opposing views from my upcoming trip
Old Dec 27, 2020, 11:13 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
According to the below article (from Jan. 2020), it would be Accuweather.

Latest Independent Study Reconfirms Superior Accuracy of AccuWeather Forecasts
Old Dec 27, 2020, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by hhoope01
According to the below article (from Jan. 2020), it would be Accuweather.

Latest Independent Study Reconfirms Superior Accuracy of AccuWeather Forecasts
Good. Because Weather.com has rain 5 days straight. Accuweather seems more tolerable. Just dont see how they could be this far apart.

Old Dec 29, 2020, 8:20 am

Programs: Miles&Smiles Gold
Marriott Cancun Resort

Right now there. Some informations for you:

Elite breakfast gets free continental. Upgrad to full buffet is 230 MXN (12 USD). Normal price of the buffet is 25 USD. I think its worth the price.

Early Check-In already 9 AM

Upgrade from standard room (on points) to sea view room.
Old Oct 2, 2021, 7:47 pm

Which would be the better pick between Marriott Cancun Resort and the Cancun Westin Resort? Both similar price in terms of cash or points, and both mid-tier. Which one has better Platinum recognition? It seems like the Marriott Cancun Resort is next to the JW and has access to all the JW amenities, but the Westin has lounge access for Platinum and above members. Both have free continental breakfast, with cash upgrade to full buffet.
Old Oct 2, 2021, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by warflame
Which would be the better pick between Marriott Cancun Resort and the Cancun Westin Resort? Both similar price in terms of cash or points, and both mid-tier. Which one has better Platinum recognition? It seems like the Marriott Cancun Resort is next to the JW and has access to all the JW amenities, but the Westin has lounge access for Platinum and above members. Both have free continental breakfast, with cash upgrade to full buffet.
I can’t comment on the Marriott, but the lounge at the Westin is currently closed. Also, you can upgrade to full breakfast buffet in lieu of your 1000 pt welcome amenity.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Folks,

I am trying to use Suite Night Awards at the following properties in Cancun:

JW Marriott
Marriott
Westin Cancun Spa

Dates are Jan. 9-14, 2022.

It seems that NONE of them offer SNA. This surprised me. I know Ritz won't offer and Westin-lagunamar-ocean-resort in Cancun is time-share.

Is this the rule? I am disappointed because I have 11 SNA to redeem.

Can anyone offer some tips to use SNA at ocean front Marriott Bonvoy properties in Cancun?
Old Oct 15, 2021, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by kb1992
Folks,

I am trying to use Suite Night Awards at the following properties in Cancun:

JW Marriott
Marriott
Westin Cancun Spa

Dates are Jan. 9-14, 2022.

It seems that NONE of them offer SNA. This surprised me. I know Ritz won't offer and Westin-lagunamar-ocean-resort in Cancun is time-share.

Is this the rule? I am disappointed because I have 11 SNA to redeem.

Can anyone offer some tips to use SNA at ocean front Marriott Bonvoy properties in Cancun?
Something’s wrong. I’ve used SNAs at all 3 of these properties in the past.

Is it possible your SNAs expire Dec 31/21? You need 5 SNAs that expire in Dec 2022.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Something’s wrong. I’ve used SNAs at all 3 of these properties in the past.

Is it possible your SNAs expire Dec 31/21? You need 5 SNAs that expire in Dec 2022.
Requested 10 SNA from annual choice today, and got confirmation emails. These emails say SNA will expire in Dec 2021

However, I checked my account, these SNA are not deposited. They are supposed to expire in Dec. 2022?

So SNA in my account now were earned last year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.