Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Cancun [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Cancun [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2020, 8:52 pm

Need Help: Best Bonvoy Property Cancun

Looking for beach time with my family of 4 (kids 11/8). While Cancun would not normally be my first choice, the resorts look nice and the price/points are reasonable. So here is what we are looking for (I saw no posts answering this on FT):
- Nice pool/beach
- As Titanium Elite, some access to benefits (upgrade or breakfast for 2 or lounge access etc)
- Calm, clean scene, no partying
- Attentive welcoming staff

We are flexible and have plenty of points to use, were looking originally at Ritz Carlton, JW Marriott and Westin Lagunamar, but are open to suggestions.

What is the best Bonvoy property to use points for a week on the ocean?
Thanks in advance
Old Jan 18, 2020, 11:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Platinum
I won’t even consider Westin if you are looking for any Bonvoy benefits at any level. I am Ambassador and we didn’t get anything practically when we there in December.

it does have an excellent pool and beach access with clean scene and no partying. Staff is very good too.
At Westin, Rooms will be small for a family of four unless you plan to pay for upgrade.
Look for points plus cash upgrade on JW or two rooms if you prefer. Should meet all of your criteria.

Originally Posted by mfeltz
Looking for beach time with my family of 4 (kids 11/8). While Cancun would not normally be my first choice, the resorts look nice and the price/points are reasonable. So here is what we are looking for (I saw no posts answering this on FT):
- Nice pool/beach
- As Titanium Elite, some access to benefits (upgrade or breakfast for 2 or lounge access etc)
- Calm, clean scene, no partying
- Attentive welcoming staff

We are flexible and have plenty of points to use, were looking originally at Ritz Carlton, JW Marriott and Westin Lagunamar, but are open to suggestions.

What is the best Bonvoy property to use points for a week on the ocean?
Thanks in advance
Old Jan 18, 2020, 11:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Platinum
westin lagunamar’s rooms are good but nothing extraordinary.
beach is awesome. JW and RC are couple of blocks away and should have same excellent beach quality as Westin.

Originally Posted by hendrixnk75
Hello FTers,
I'm looking for input for a stay in Cancun in July. I am taking my wife for a surprise weekend for her birthday. I'd like to "wow" her with a great room, perhaps an upgrade. She saw the JW Marriott online a while back and thought it looked nice. I have 3-35k award night certificates, and 5 suite night awards available to attempt to book a suite. I am an Ambassador Elite. Potentials seem to be the JW Marriott, Club 91 at JW, Westin Lagunamar or The Ritz Carlton, just paying cash, or using the 35k award nights for Marriott Cancun or the Westin Resort and Spa. Is Club 91 worth it? She likes nice rooms and a nice beach. I know all of those do not have suites available, such as Lagunamar. I really appreciate any insight from those who have weighed this decision and what you have chosen.

Nathan
Old Feb 7, 2020, 9:30 pm

Cancun Options

I’ve moved much of my business way from Marriott to Hyatt and Hilton. I have about 210k Bonvoy points left to use and am thinking about a trip to Mexico in early December. Any advice on these options:

5 nights at the JW Marriott in an Ocean View room for 200k points

Upgrade to Club 91 for 2 adults Premium Ocean view for $100/night

5 nights at the Marriott Cancun for 140k points for a Resort View room, plus $25 night resort fee

Upgrade to an Oceanfront Caribbean Suite for 210k points plus resort fee
Old Feb 8, 2020, 4:39 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Both properties are lovely - but the JW Marriott with Club 91 is the better choice especially since you are trying to get rid of your points. We are going back again in a few weeks. There are a number of reasons including the fact that renovations at the JW are now over and they are just starting at the Marriott (I believe). Some people do not like Club 91. For breakfast and lunch it is divine for us because it takes all the stress out of deciding where to eat. The dinner presentation isn't as great but for a couple of nights it too had its benefits. I am not sure its worth $200/night. Unless you plan to eat and drink exclusively at Club 91 (something I don't really recommend on a vacation unless necessary) you may do better with a late morning visit to the breakfast buffet downstairs and then a nice dinner somewhere in Cancun.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 11:15 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Hi all, I've read through a few threads and I still can't get a good read on the Cancun Marriott property. I would be going for three days with my husband and 8 year-old daughter. We will probably spend most of our time at the pool and beach. Any comments on those? Your info is welcome! Our backup is probably the JW Marriott, but the Marriott has a significantly better price. Thanks!
Old Feb 13, 2020, 3:31 pm

Programs: Miles&More
If you want good elite recognition do not go to Renaissance Cancun Resort & Marina Hotel. Its a nice and new hotel. But elite recognition is close to zero. How a Hotel without a beach can be a resort, I don't know. Because the hotel is located at marina, so no beach, just a small pool.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 4:44 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Do note that the JW does NOT charge a resort fee where the Marriott does ($25/night). So don't forget to add that into the daily rate for the Marriott.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 11:45 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ConciergeKey, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by hhoope01
Do note that the JW does NOT charge a resort fee where the Marriott does ($25/night). So don't forget to add that into the daily rate for the Marriott.
I always pick the JW. I have a feeling they'll add a resort fee soon, though... JW Cancun is pretty stingy and nickle & dimes.

Also, buy sunscreen and all that before you show up, they charge ridiculous prices in the gift shop. The discount you get as an Amb in the gift shop (10%) doesn't work for much there either (didnt work for sunscreen).

Originally Posted by avatexrs

...Upgrade to Club 91 for 2 adults Premium Ocean view for $100/night...
Club 91 is useless imo unless you will use the 2nd floor spa facilities (sauna) daily... the lounge is pretty paltry for the price and was slammed every time we went. Value/return on Club 91 = low. They call club 91 a "boutique hotel", which is absurd. Only noticeable difference between Club 91 vs normal is that you get Club 91 embroidered slippers & robe in room vs. regular slippers & robe. The separate check-in was useless. One good thing about Club 91 is that you get free airport transfer (don't know details and they don't advertise this enough, I forgot about it and they charged me). Edit: apparently no more airport transfers! Lol

Few notes as an Ambassador (recognition data points):
  • Room upgrade (one tier from points entry level)
  • Drinks upon arrival at check-in (some type of champagne?)
  • Recognition at check-in as Amb (check-in took approx. 20-30 min though?)
  • Breakfast was about $26 for 2 people after Titanium benefit
... that's about all you get with Amb there.

Last edited by goldtiger; Feb 14, 2020 at 12:26 pm Reason: per hhoope01, no more free airport transfers for Club91
Old Feb 14, 2020, 11:49 am

Programs: AA ConciergeKey, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by lockman21
Curious, why not Uber or Lyft? In PVR, my ride from the airport to the Marriott resort in a cab was ~$20, but my ride back to the airport with Uber was $1.40. This was in April 2018.
From my last trip in December, the Uber app doesn't even open (shows that uber is disabled in Cancun region). I'm guessing same for Lyft but didn't try.
Not worth trying to use rideshare apps, just pay the $17/pp or whatever it is to get to the hotel, it's safe & works OK.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by goldtiger
One good thing about Club 91 is that you get free airport transfer (don't know details and they don't advertise this enough, I forgot about it and they charged me). Lol
Per the JW Marriott thread, they don't provide the free airport transfer with Club 91 any more. (Which is probably why you were charged.)
Old Feb 14, 2020, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by hhoope01
Per the JW Marriott thread, they don't provide the free airport transfer with Club 91 any more. (Which is probably why you were charged.)
Wow, that's a let down. Truly no reason to get Club91 for me. I updated my post...
Old Feb 14, 2020, 1:11 pm

There are times when it still might be worthwhile. For example, I was thinking of heading down from Sept. 15th-20th of this year. The cheapest non-view room has a $177/night rate. A Club91 Premium view room is $197/night and comes with a $50/night room credit. So for that extra $20/night, I would get the upgraded room, Club91 access and the $50/night extra to charge to the room.
Old Nov 7, 2020, 10:06 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
anyone stayed in CUN post 'rona? not a whole lot of deals, mind you i'm looking for next week. but i guess 210usd/night for the jw is deal to many (to me it unequivocally is not). but in all fairness JW right now is full service and full bonvoy beneftis. a lot of hotels sold out (closed?).

anyways i am wondering what plat experience is like at the 4P Centro right now? is there hot breakfast? are they using the rona as an excuse not to upgrade plats to suites? interestingly https://whattoexpect.marriott.com/CUNFP (the "what cuts you can expect to experience at our hotel") will forward me to the generic clorox propaganda website. there is no information there.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 5:26 am

I have a trip coming up in early December as well. Most of my stay will be at the RC, but our first 2 nights are at the JW. From the reviews I've been reading, it seems most of the negative (or at least not positive) reviews seem to come from Plat/Titanium members. At the JW, I'd say expect to received the minimum elite recognition possible. For example, don't expect a late check-out, a noticeable upgrade, and a continental breakfast. It seems as long as you go in expecting limited elite benefits, you will probably enjoy your stay.

As for the rate, I made my reservations earlier this year. When all the virus restrictions hit, most of the Cancun hotels really dropped their rates. But I have seen them slowly raise them over the summer/fall. I did stay at the JW in January back in 2018 and had around a $200/night rate, but that included both Club 91 access with a Premium oceanview room and $100/day room credit. So they do have some decent rates at times though you have to plan in advance for them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.