Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Cancun [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Cancun [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2005, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by peteyp97
Why don't they let you pay for the bfast (since it is included in the stay for breakfast plan) for the days you are using points?
I'm sure the restaurant will be happy to let you pay for breakfast.
Old Sep 15, 2005, 7:16 am

Programs: US3, WN, UA, AA, CO
Originally Posted by peteyp97
Do any of the rooms have anything other than 2 twins? (Maybe a queen and a pull-out?)
Yes, my room had two double beds.
Old Sep 15, 2005, 7:03 pm

Programs: No longer traveling :-( HH Gold; AA Gold (1MM)- thx to FlyerTalk :-)
My family stayed there at the end of August. I also got two twin beds. I have two boys - 11 and 8. The 8 year old slept on the other bed while the 11 year old slept on the floor. I took the two comforters and folded them over. It made for a good enough mattress. I should point out that the 11 year old likes to sleep on the floor at home.
Old Sep 15, 2005, 8:28 pm

I could not remember if the oceanfront room I had a few years ago had 2 doubles, or a King and a pullout couch....but I searched my old posts and back then I posted two doubles, so I assume my memory was fresher then

I do recall asking for and getting a rollaway bed, so you should be able to do that for added comfort.
Old Oct 14, 2005, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 1MM - Marriott Silver
Award stay in Cancun: JW or Casa Magna?

January 2006. We are 3 families with children. Two of us booked on the JW with a 7-day award and the other paying for 2 rooms at Casa Magna. Even though the rate at the JW doubles the one at Casa Magna ($249 vs $509) I wonder if the Casa Magna might be better suited for families. Cost of meals (no breakfast with award stay) is a BIG concern and no chance to use bonus bucks. Any suggestions? Do the hotels have programed activities?
Old Oct 14, 2005, 9:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards
Casa Magna vs JW

We stayed (the wife and I) last Feb. at the JW, but ate more meals at the Casa Magna than the JW. They are both really nice, but if you are taking kids, as we are again this Feb., I'd stay at the Casa Magna. The JW seemed a little stuck-up, the Casa Magna more relaxed.
My suggestion is to eat at the hotels as infrequently as you can. You can get the breakfast if you are not using points. Go to tripadvisor.com and look up both hotels. You will see many suggestions as to where to go for meals--some just a short walk away from the hotels.
Either way, you'll love it...we did and that's why this time we are taking the boys with us.
Old Oct 15, 2005, 8:57 am

Programs: Bonvoy TE(LT), DL DM(Retired) 1MM, AA EXP
The two hotels are connected via an elevated walkway, so walking between the properties is easy for meals etc - but take the bus or walk to find a vast selection of less costly dining options. There are several posts on these properties if you do a search with FT and alot of info on Tripadvisor too. If price is a concern then Casa would be great. Though Mrs HawkSE and I will be returning to the JW with our two boys next May. I would not call it stuck up, just a bit more upscale and definately newer. But you cannot go wrong at either hotel.
Old Oct 15, 2005, 9:49 am

A 10 to 15 minute walk or 2 minute bus ride brings you to Kulkukan Plaza, a large shopping center with several restaurants with excellent breakfasts, including one with an all you can eat special for about $9.

For a great 2 for 1 meal card, check out http://www.entertainment-plus.net. It costs $15 but we have always gotten more than that in discounts. While there check on transportation options to your hotel and tours.

Taking about discounts, there are other web sites that offer coupons with 10 to 20% off at many good restaurants. When you deplane there will be people in the airport handing out free information. Most are timeshare sellers and are to be shunned. Nothing free is worth the time to fool with them. But the Cancun Tips book has great information and coupons.

Now the 2 for 1 coupon has a catch -- it is entree only. So effectively on a full meal the discount is about 25 to 33% not 50%. Still it is hard not to get value out of the card and having it gets you discounts on certain tours.

We own two Cancun timeshares and for families there is nothing like the Royal Resorts (www.royalresorts.com). Club International is in my opinion in a less desirable location, but all of the Royals are excellent. If interested, for good pricing go to the classifieds at http://www.tug2.net/ and remember you can always bargain price.

Now miles will not get you in free there so perhaps the Marriott is best for you. Both hotels you mentioned are magnificent and you cannot go wrong. Still, the Royals provide 2 bedrooms, two baths, dining area, living room with 2 Murphy beds (Sleep 6 comfortably), a full, well equipt kitchen (fix your own breakfasts and lunches) and a great deck for less than $200 per day if you rent privately

Back to the Entertainment site, we started using Brant's services several years ago when he had just a few drivers. Today he has a fleet of cars and drivers and offers the best prices and service I have found in Cancun. For $65 he will take up to 10 people non-stop from the airport to any hotel zone hotel (yours are in the hotel zone) and then back to the airport. One way is just $35. Once we were delayed over 2 hours and found Brant's driver there when we arrived (he checks arrival times!)

If you need more information on Cancun, PM me. We have been going since 1991 and are returning Christmas week.
Old Oct 15, 2005, 12:08 pm

Do you feel that Brant's services are a better deal than thomas more?

Thanks

Dash

Back to the Entertainment site, we started using Brant's services several years ago when he had just a few drivers. Today he has a fleet of cars and drivers and offers the best prices and service I have found in Cancun. For $65 he will take up to 10 people non-stop from the airport to any hotel zone hotel (yours are in the hotel zone) and then back to the airport. One way is just $35. Once we were delayed over 2 hours and found Brant's driver there when we arrived (he checks arrival times!)

If you need more information on Cancun, PM me. We have been going since 1991 and are returning Christmas week.[/QUOTE]
Old Oct 15, 2005, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by dash
Do you feel that Brant's services are a better deal than thomas more?

Thanks

Dash
Yes. Brant costs less and offers more, particularly if you decide to use him for tours.

Now to be fair, I used Thomas Moore to go from the Royal Mayan to the airport. There were 4 of us. I did not understand that it was not a private transfer. we waited for 2 late arrivals and then stopped at another Royal Resort before heading to the Airport. Instead of a 10 minute drive, we lost about 50 minutes, were rushed, etc.

A private van for 7 would cost $50 each way with Moore vs $65 round trip for up to 10 with Bryant. Last time I used Bryant the car was not there when I approached his dispatcher. We had to wait almost 15 minutes. This was unusual based on our experience. The hotel pick-ups back to the airport and for our Cozumel tour were both on time.

Brant answers emails and has been very helpful in arranging private tours and the like. We really do like doing business with him. we may let him set up a fishing trip for us this year.

Last time I let my son arrange the fishing through a good guide (we had used him years earlier) and it was a mess. The gate to the pick-up point was locked. We had to climb the fence to get down to the water. The guide's motor had a problem and he was almost an hour late. The owner of the dock had an employee who spoke no English open the place and trying to explain how we got there was a mess. AND we caught no fish!!! Brant would have picked us up at the front door. Whether we would have caught a fish, who knows.

Anyhow, Brant discounts the same tours the Thomas Moore offers. So you choose.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 2:06 pm

Programs: CO Plat, AC Elite, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Cancun - Which hotel is best for a family?

I'm looking at booking our first family trip outside the US. Can anyone recommend which of the 2 properties in Cancun would be better suited for a family (kids are 5 and 12).

I noticed both list the Marriott Kids program for $25. I'm not sure what this is or what it includes. Are there any other features of either place that make it more suited for kids?

I've not been to either property, so any input would help. Price is not a concern.

Thanks for your help!
Old Oct 20, 2005, 2:53 pm

We stayed at the JW in Cancun....it's right next to the other property.

Thought the JW was fantastic. Your kids will love the pool, which winds around the area between the hotel and the beach. They have a little store there that sells Haagen Dazs at a pretty reasonable price (even a US price). Don't know how long you'll be in CUN, but PM me if you want some ideas.

Our kids are 4 and 2 1/2, so we didn't take them this trip but DID keep an eye out for what they might want to do in the future. There is quite a bit they might like there.

Last edited by John Galt; Oct 20, 2005 at 2:55 pm
Old Oct 20, 2005, 3:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis Preferred
Not to make light about a bad situation, but...

whichever one is still standing after this hurricane hits.

Seriously, I hope everyone and everything down there is safe.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 3:46 pm

If price is not a concern (and you are comfortable taking your kids to a classy hotel), I would definitely go for the JW.

Both are beautiful and you can easily go between them. JW pool is nicer (infinity), but some guests may give you the "oh no, don't bring those kids over here" look. Ignore them.

The pool at the CasaMagna was just your basic rectangular pool, but has a nice huge jacuzzi. I imagine your kids will probably spend most of their time in the Caribbean water, which was beautiful. Although the surf looks rough, in my experience, it wasn't. Of course, always check for yourself.

Both hotels are amazing, and the employees were some of the kindest we've encountered at any Marriott.

We didn't do the Kids Club but we did take advantage of their on-site scuba lessons.

If you do stay at the JW, look into the Club 91 rooms. They offer many amenities that might work very well for your family.

Have a great time. And yes, the hurricane seems headed right there now
Old Oct 20, 2005, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 1MM - Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by dadoo
I'm looking at booking our first family trip outside the US. Can anyone recommend which of the 2 properties in Cancun would be better suited for a family (kids are 5 and 12). I noticed both list the Marriott Kids program for $25. I'm not sure what this is or what it includes. Are there any other features of either place that make it more suited for kids? I've not been to either property, so any input would help. Price is not a concern. Thanks for your help!
I booked at the JW for next January for my family (kids 13 and 3) using a Marriott award. After staying at AI hotels in the Playa del Carmen area I honestly donīt believe that the JW can rival the wide array of activities that they got there. The following week we go back to the Akumal area where we had a terrific time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.