Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Cancun [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Cancun [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2005, 9:24 pm

I have a stay booked in April and have not found much information on whether they expect things to be fixed by then. I have called twice and the first time was told to call back in 2 months. The second time I was told that they are taking reservations after December 31, 2006 but would still not guarantee that anything would be up a running even after that date. After checking online last night the earliest reservation that would work was May 2, 2006. Check www.marriott.com/news.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 9:28 pm

I understand the lack of information, especially with all the pictures and news. I only wished I knew how back the hotels were and if I should make plans for another location as Cancun might be a write off this year.
Old Oct 26, 2005, 12:50 am

I personally would rebook elsewhere. The JW and Marriott Casa Magna are right on the water. 20 yds of beach then the properties. I saw a picture of the mall which housed the Hard Rock Rest and it was wrecked. So I imagine the white flour beaches are gone in front of the hotels. I wonder if anyone knows if Lorenzillo's survived the Hurricane. I love that restuarant.

I would rebook in another destination. Too much trouble IMO

Ken in Phx
Old Oct 26, 2005, 7:16 am

Paradise Awaits at Marriott

This morning I got (and I suspect many other people got) an email from Marriott titled "Paradise Awaits at Marriott". In it there is generic text about Cancun - perhaps a faint hope that things will get better there.. ..

I think I would see about booking elsewhere, but hold off canceling CUN right now. The only concern is that the JW in CUN has a 60 cancellation window.
Old Oct 26, 2005, 7:21 am

Programs: AA Platinum 1MM - Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by back seat
I have a stay booked at the JW the first week of January and am wondering about what Wilma has done to the area. The pictures on the TV showed significant damage to the area . . . Wonder what is left there??
I also have bookings for the second week of January and was making myself the same question. I read in the newspaper that both hotels will reopen January 1st. I think that they will be in good shape but my main concern is the beach condition and restaurants in the area. It looks very complicated to find another place for same dates and get the airline to change my tickets. My second week is south of Playa del Carmen that was less affected so that´s another alternative.
Old Oct 26, 2005, 2:02 pm

I received the following 2 e-mails from Pro-Tech Diving, an outfitter I've used in the past. Can't figure out how to post pictures, though.

Special Bulletin – Hurricane Wilma

ProTec Newsletter October 2005

With great sadness I am writing these lines about Hurricane Wilma. The ProTec Newsletter can be subscribed and un-subscribed on our www.protecdiving.com web page, front page in the lower right corner. So please let your friends know that they can receive our Newsletter or if you don’t like to get it please do not hesitate to un-subscribe.

Thanks you for continued support.

ProTec Team

Here is the latest news as of Monday, October 24th, 19:00
Hurricane Wilma has hit the Riviera Maya hard. The eye of the hurricane came through Cozumel and Playa del Carmen on Friday evening 23:00. The storm was big and very slow with lots of rain. Large parts of towns and roads where or are still flooded. Today was a beautiful day, sunshine and a flat ocean.

Cozumel
Cozumel took a direct hit. Its been hit hard. The car ferry got immobilized just prior to the storm and stranded in Chinchorro bank, leaving no ferry transport for help or electricity workers to get to Cozumel. Three cruise ship piers have been badly damages or a partially gone. The caletta marina was badly hit with a lot of boats sitting in it. The northern marina was hit hard and is partially gone. I fear for the worst there, I would assume a lot of schools have been hit there too, destroying the infrastructure to teach the kids.

Puerto Aventuras
Puerto Aventuras got hit again as with Emily with a lot of damage, powerloss, trees, to condos, houses and buildings and 10 smaller boats sunk in the marina. I have not been in the Poblado yet but hope that the damage there is not too bad.

Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen took a direct hit and its been hit hard. 5th avenue is damaged glass and palapas. Ocean side buildings are flooded with a couple of feet of sand. Mamitas beach club has been hard but will be rebuilt I am sure. In Playacar beach side buildings have lost there foundations, the beach road is gone at parts. Two planes on the airport flipped. A large number of building is damaged beyond repair. The Super San Francisco Supermarket lost a entire wall.

The good news. Since you are reading this newsletter I had to have electricity and internet access. Amazing how fast parts of town got power back. Utility and emergency crews working restless to restore power and water. Security forces showing presence. Neighbors helping each other, restaurants and stores are open. No gasoline though but since we have partially electricity it can't be far away.

Puerto Morelos
Puerto Morelos got hit hard. The road between Puerto Morelos and Cancun is closed since a large section of it is flooded completely. The road from the gas station to Puerto Morelos proper is flooded too. The gas station is working though. Quite a few of the large power towers are broken. A lot of the palapa roofing is gone but restaurants and stores are open

Cancun
Cancun took a direct hit. The airport is closed but is supposed to be back open by Wednesday. We heard reports that the lagoon in the hotel zone connected with the ocean on the locations. We heard as well that there where some riots, martial law has been declared in Cancun and a curfew is in place. The hotel zone is largely damaged and flooded, the inner town areas are damaged too.

Akumal, Tulum
Small damage only, have not been there, heard its still going, they selling gasoline in Tulum

Whats gonna happen ....
I am not the greatest optimist on the planet but for Tulum, Akumal, Puerto Aventuras and Playa del Carmen I can see its gonna bounce back pretty soon. The way things do improve and the ferocity of the emergency work force to bring it back will succeed pretty fast. There will be areas that will take some more time but in general I am looking optimistic into the future.

ProTec is open, we are diving the caves but the ocean diving is gonna take a while to come back, mostly the boats into the ocean and gasoline.
Just because we got hit by a hurricane we did not disappear, neither a lot of the other dive shops or hotels in the area.

Having just been through the hurricane and its aftermath I am looking far north to Florida where a lot of our friends are just happened to be in the way of windy Wilma. Our thoughts are with you guys and gals.

As always if you are close by and want to chat or give us a call or email please feel free to do so.

[email protected]
0052-984-8031168

Your ProTec Team
Old Oct 26, 2005, 2:03 pm

Pro-tec update #2

Special Bulletin – Hurricane Wilma

ProTec Newsletter October 2005

With great sadness I am writing these lines about Hurricane Wilma. The ProTec Newsletter can be subscribed and un-subscribed on our www.protecdiving.com web page, front page in the lower right corner. So please let your friends know that they can receive our Newsletter or if you don’t like to get it please do not hesitate to un-subscribe.

Thanks you for continued support.

ProTec Team

Here is the latest news as of Monday, October 24th, 19:00
Hurricane Wilma has hit the Riviera Maya hard. The eye of the hurricane came through Cozumel and Playa del Carmen on Friday evening 23:00. The storm was big and very slow with lots of rain. Large parts of towns and roads where or are still flooded. Today was a beautiful day, sunshine and a flat ocean.

Cozumel
Cozumel took a direct hit. Its been hit hard. The car ferry got immobilized just prior to the storm and stranded in Chinchorro bank, leaving no ferry transport for help or electricity workers to get to Cozumel. Three cruise ship piers have been badly damages or a partially gone. The caletta marina was badly hit with a lot of boats sitting in it. The northern marina was hit hard and is partially gone. I fear for the worst there, I would assume a lot of schools have been hit there too, destroying the infrastructure to teach the kids.

Puerto Aventuras
Puerto Aventuras got hit again as with Emily with a lot of damage, powerloss, trees, to condos, houses and buildings and 10 smaller boats sunk in the marina. I have not been in the Poblado yet but hope that the damage there is not too bad.

Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen took a direct hit and its been hit hard. 5th avenue is damaged glass and palapas. Ocean side buildings are flooded with a couple of feet of sand. Mamitas beach club has been hard but will be rebuilt I am sure. In Playacar beach side buildings have lost there foundations, the beach road is gone at parts. Two planes on the airport flipped. A large number of building is damaged beyond repair. The Super San Francisco Supermarket lost a entire wall.

The good news. Since you are reading this newsletter I had to have electricity and internet access. Amazing how fast parts of town got power back. Utility and emergency crews working restless to restore power and water. Security forces showing presence. Neighbors helping each other, restaurants and stores are open. No gasoline though but since we have partially electricity it can't be far away.

Puerto Morelos
Puerto Morelos got hit hard. The road between Puerto Morelos and Cancun is closed since a large section of it is flooded completely. The road from the gas station to Puerto Morelos proper is flooded too. The gas station is working though. Quite a few of the large power towers are broken. A lot of the palapa roofing is gone but restaurants and stores are open

Cancun
Cancun took a direct hit. The airport is closed but is supposed to be back open by Wednesday. We heard reports that the lagoon in the hotel zone connected with the ocean on the locations. We heard as well that there where some riots, martial law has been declared in Cancun and a curfew is in place. The hotel zone is largely damaged and flooded, the inner town areas are damaged too.

Akumal, Tulum
Small damage only, have not been there, heard its still going, they selling gasoline in Tulum

Whats gonna happen ....
I am not the greatest optimist on the planet but for Tulum, Akumal, Puerto Aventuras and Playa del Carmen I can see its gonna bounce back pretty soon. The way things do improve and the ferocity of the emergency work force to bring it back will succeed pretty fast. There will be areas that will take some more time but in general I am looking optimistic into the future.

ProTec is open, we are diving the caves but the ocean diving is gonna take a while to come back, mostly the boats into the ocean and gasoline.
Just because we got hit by a hurricane we did not disappear, neither a lot of the other dive shops or hotels in the area.

Having just been through the hurricane and its aftermath I am looking far north to Florida where a lot of our friends are just happened to be in the way of windy Wilma. Our thoughts are with you guys and gals.

As always if you are close by and want to chat or give us a call or email please feel free to do so.

[email protected]
0052-984-8031168

Your ProTec Team
Old Oct 26, 2005, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA,UA,HH,Marriott
Thumbs up Go, Marriott!

There may have been discussion about this already, but I've been away for a few days, and just saw it. Pretty cool, I think.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/051026/dcw100.html?.v=2
Old Oct 26, 2005, 7:38 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
This response by Marriott can be only applauded and admired. Whatever occasional complaint I may have about a particular property or policy, this reaffirms my admiration for Marriott and the folks who are part of it. Congratulations and thanks from this Marriott plat.
Old Oct 26, 2005, 8:01 pm

Programs: Bonvoy TE(LT), DL DM(Retired) 1MM, AA EXP
This article has been removed at the request of the news provider...

OK - So what was it???
Old Oct 26, 2005, 9:43 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Have you seen the devastation in Cancun on TV? Watch some spanish language channels.

Cancel, find someplace that wasn't hit hard.
Old Oct 26, 2005, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Marriott evacuates its guests from Cancun for free

JW Marriott, Ritz Carlton and CasaMagna Marriott evacuated their guests who have been on shelters - bussed them from Cancun to Merida, flew them to Atlanta, and then but them up for a night.

WOW, WAY TO GO MARRIOTT!!!

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/051026/dcw100b.html?.v=1
Old Oct 26, 2005, 11:38 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
If I had to guess I would say it was this

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/051026/dcw100b.html?.v=1
Old Oct 27, 2005, 12:43 am

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Absolutely amazing. I was floored when I read this. That action actually makes me think about switching back to Marriott. I've been in a lot of Hilton's recently because of work locations, but dang, that sure says something for Marriott's customer service.

I do wonder if it had anything to do with the fact that two of the three hotels were their high end offerings, JW and Ritz. Casa Magna is no slouch either so.... We're not exactly talking Fairfield's here.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 6:14 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Instead of creating a new thread, why not just add to one started a few hours earlier?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=486693

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.