Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Cancun [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Cancun [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2005, 8:21 am

Programs: NW Gold, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Stayed at Casa Magna

Originally Posted by peteyp97
I'm staying in Cancun during Presidents Week in 2006. Stayed at JW in 05, and was thinking of staying at Casa Magna this time (since we'll have the kids). I'm using MR points and wasn't sure if it was worth the points difference for the JW.
Any suites at the Casa Magna that I could upgrade to? Thanks.
I stayed at Casa magna in May 05 and enjoyed it, but haven't stayed at the JW. The wife and I went to JW to use their business center for internet access which was very nice, but I would guess that the rooms aren't much different.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 9:45 am

I've stayed at the CasaMagna and loved it. Staff was exceptional and we had a great trip.

As I do recall, for a 5 or 6 day trip, the point differential for the JW over the CasaMagna was minimal (maybe 10-20k points more?) and for that, I would definitely choose the JW, just because it's a grander experience for very few points. We didn't because we have 3 kids and at the time the JW website indicated a room capacity of 3 persons total (the CasaMagna said only 4 persons so we were even stretching that). IIRC, the website has changed the wording to indicate the JW rooms sleep 4.

I don't think you'll be disappointed no matter which resort you choose.

Have a great time. Loved Gustino's restaurant in the JW.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 10:45 am

Stayed at the CasaMagna in May 2004 and like it. Decent rooms and great service. We toured a JW room and noticed it wasn't much nicer, just slightly bigger. When we went, the JW was $189 a night and the CasaMagna had a prepaid special of $99 a night. We were able to use bonus bucks to provide for a lot of expensive meals during the week we were there.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Does Casa Magna have a lounge?

Anyone who is MR Silver or Gold get upgraded at these properties?

The JW sounds like a great property (rated #1 on TripAdvisor) but it is hard to justify the extra cost unless the value is there (Casa Magna is rated #5).
Old Aug 16, 2005, 6:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Plt Prem, CO Plt, AA Gold
JW wins this one

I've stayed at both properties within the last year ( I stayed at Casa Magna because I couldn't get a room on points at the JW that trip) and many times over the past couple of years. If you are staying on points, then the points difference IS minimal and my advice is to stay at the JW. I just like the ambience of the JW. The rooms aren't all that different - I got a suite upgrade at both porperties. I love the pool at the JW, its one of the best.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Does Casa Magna have a lounge?

Anyone who is MR Silver or Gold get upgraded at these properties?

The JW sounds like a great property (rated #1 on TripAdvisor) but it is hard to justify the extra cost unless the value is there (Casa Magna is rated #5).

No lounge at the CasaMagna.

As Plat, we were upgraded to an oceanfront room and they very nicely returned the upgrade award certificates, saying that Plats received the upgrade automatically (this was Feb 04).
Old Aug 17, 2005, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA-1K(BIS), Marriott-Platinum Premier, Hertz-PC, Fairmont-PC
Originally Posted by flyerwife
No lounge at the CasaMagna.

As Plat, we were upgraded to an oceanfront room and they very nicely returned the upgrade award certificates, saying that Plats received the upgrade automatically (this was Feb 04).

I am planning on staying early next year with Points for 2 rooms and was thinking of going all the way and stay in the Club91 rooms. Was the upgrade to this level?

Any suggestions on room selection?
Old Aug 17, 2005, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by Dennis.Dunbar@mckesson
I am planning on staying early next year with Points for 2 rooms and was thinking of going all the way and stay in the Club91 rooms. Was the upgrade to this level?

Sorry if my post was unclear...we stayed at the CasaMagna, not the JW.

I understood that nearly every room in the JW had an ocean view so you probably can't do too poorly no matter what.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Dennis.Dunbar@mckesson

And the rate rules for the Club 91 rooms seem pretty clear - you can't get there by upgrading with status, only by having a confirmed reservation for a Club 91 room.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA-1K(BIS), Marriott-Platinum Premier, Hertz-PC, Fairmont-PC
Originally Posted by BeantownFlyer
And the rate rules for the Club 91 rooms seem pretty clear - you can't get there by upgrading with status, only by having a confirmed reservation for a Club 91 room.

Could someone suggest the best rooms on Club91. Points and $100US nightly sounds good. Something the family will always remember.

Dennis
Old Aug 19, 2005, 2:04 pm

Programs: No longer traveling :-( HH Gold; AA Gold (1MM)- thx to FlyerTalk :-)
CasaMagna if have kids

I just got back last night from staying 5 nights at the CasaMagna. I thought the place was fine and I would recommend it.

I have two kids, 8 and 11, and they thought the pool at the JW was neat, but they asked why it was so quiet. If you read TripAdvisor posts, you will read that most people (who stay at the CasaMagna) say the JW is stuffy.

So, to answer your question, if you have kids, I would say that you should stay at the CasaMagna. If not, then the JW.

Since I am the only one who drinks, we found it cheaper to eat out and use the E-plus card (2 for 1 deals) or coupons given out at the airport than to eat at the hotel properties or do the inclusive plan. We paid $199/night and that included breakfast for all four of us. With only having lunch and dinner to worry about, I think we spent around $100 - $130 a day extra for all four of us together. If you like to drink, and want to stay on property, then the all inclusive plan can be a great deal.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 2:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards
Where do you get the e plus card?

Do you buy it online or get it ahead of time?
Old Aug 19, 2005, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA Advantage Platinum, United 1K, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by peteyp97
Do you buy it online or get it ahead of time?
http://www.entertainment-plus.net

Highly recommend getting it. It's only $15, you will save that much using it for your first dinner in Cancun. Also, have used their transfer from the airport to the Casamagna, very resonably priced with great private service.

Last edited by ejs621; Aug 19, 2005 at 6:17 pm
Old Aug 19, 2005, 6:43 pm

Thanks for the info

I'll order the card next month before I go.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 9:36 pm

Rooms at Marriott Casa Magna-Cancun

We're planning a stay during Presidents week 2006. I have one night I'm paying for that includes breakfast, and the other 5 nights are from MR points. (God they are GREAT!) Couple of questions--
1. My wife and I are taking our 14 and 11 year old sons. Sleeping in twin beds is tough. Do any of the rooms have anything other than 2 twins? (Maybe a queen and a pull-out?)
2. Why don't they let you pay for the bfast (since it is included in the stay for breakfast plan) for the days you are using points?
3. Any suggestions on how to get an upgrade? Last year we stayed at the JW next door--but didn't bring the boys.
Thanks as usual.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.