Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Cancun [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Cancun [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2005, 11:33 am

Programs: Marriott Rwards, Delta Skymiles
I would not be as entusiactic as Jan, but it is not a bad deal. I never ran into groups gathering in the lounge, but if you were in a group, it would be a good spot to get together to start off the evening.
Old Jan 30, 2005, 6:05 pm

JW Cancun

How far is the Walmart from the JW Marriott in Cancun ?
Is there a supermarket near the hotel to pick up a case of water and some snacks ?
Best way to get to either ?

thanks
Old Jan 30, 2005, 6:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Plt Prem, CO Plt, AA Gold
Snacks, etc

The Walmart is about a 30 minute bus ride - in the old part of town. There is a large convenience store within walking distance which has snacks, water, beer and tequila (the 4 food groups). With your back to the hotel, walk along the main road to your right and its across the street about 200 yards.
Old Jan 30, 2005, 10:21 pm

Programs: BW Diamond, Choice Plat, National Exec Elite
Bus ride to Wally-world and the time spent doing it will still be more cost effective than going across the street. Mrs. duxfan found pure vanilla at a fraction of the cost she would pay here in the states for it. She enjoyed buying mexican candy for the kids, and I picked up fresh warm tortillas wrapped in paper forless than $.50US. It was a fun trip. If you need some relief from the sun, its worth it.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA, AA, BA, DL, US, SPG, MR, HH
Since the bottled water in the room is so expensive, you still will want to go out for your first supplies, and Wal Mart is a hike -- You'll use up 1-2 hours even if you're efficient. Wal mart is a good trip after you get tired of the sun. The Oxxo convenience store up the street is a good choice upon arrival. There is also a small convenience store in the hotel. Prices are fine for snacks and for ice cream, when you consider that you'll save the bus trips.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by [email protected]
How far is the Walmart from the JW Marriott in Cancun ?
Is there a supermarket near the hotel to pick up a case of water and some snacks ?
Best way to get to either ?

thanks
My wife & I were there in November, although we stayed at the Hyatt Cancun Caribe. The bus trip to the Wal-Mart, and the nearby market place is an experience not to be missed, for the local color if nothing else. The busses are clearly marked as to destination, including Wal-Mart.

Also, this was our first trip to Cancun, and we were not as diligent about the time share pitches, starting in the arrivals hall at the airport, as we should have been. We did OK in the end; $200.00 in cash plus two rounds of golf w/cart, but it was a hassle. Beware!!

Have fun.
Old Feb 5, 2005, 8:13 am

Programs: Ex Marriot Platinum, CO Gold
Any chance of a platinum getting upgraded to one of these rooms during the offseason if you are on a reward stay, or do hotels not do that?
Old Feb 5, 2005, 12:23 pm

We've never been to Cancun and everything we've 've read about it whets our interest.

Did some lookups on this board trying to determine the tangible differences between the JW and CasaMagna.

Not surpised in the least about the ambiance and quality of the former as compared to a more standard Marriott Resort and the fact that it seems to be geared to adults more than families is an important consideration. (I don't dislike kids but if there's an "adults-type option" that's appealing).

Club 91 seems to be worth the bucks considering the superior rooms and other amenities, not to mention the food service.

But, while doing the research I also ran into a number of posts whereupon Plats who were staying at CasaMagna were upgraded to some fantastic corner suites w a wraparound patio and abundant rooms with sumptuous bathrooms.

Any comments from those who've been there, had some experience with the upgrades as CasaMagna; those who've experienced both properties, would be appreciated.

Thanks-
Old Feb 5, 2005, 3:33 pm

As a Platinum, the CasaMagna Marriott in Cancun upgraded us to an oceanfront room (and I do mean RIGHT on the ocean) with balcony.

I wouldn't use adjectives like "abundant" or "sumptuous", as I didn't get a corner room with a wraparound balcony, however, it was very nice.

Seems like, for your needs, it would be wise to go with the JW. Much more of a luxurious feel, quieter, and usually the price difference per night is under $50.
Old Feb 5, 2005, 4:32 pm

Programs: Ex Marriot Platinum, CO Gold
Originally Posted by flyerwife
As a Platinum, the CasaMagna Marriott in Cancun upgraded us to an oceanfront room (and I do mean RIGHT on the ocean) with balcony.
Was the stay a reward stay, or a paid stay? I'm curious if either of these hotels give upgrades during reward stays.
Old Feb 5, 2005, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA-1K(BIS), Marriott-Platinum Premier, Hertz-PC, Fairmont-PC
Question Best Room Choice

Does anyone know which rooms have the best view. The cost of the upgrade seems to be a "No Brainer".

Thanks
Old Feb 6, 2005, 4:23 pm

eduboys,

Our stay was on an award. I reserved an oceanfront and had the certificates to pay for it.....however, the front desk returned the certificates to us, stating that since we had Platinum status, we were upgraded for free anyway.

(This was Feb 2004, over the winter break.)

I believe our room was #620 or 6020 (6th floor is the top floor; I forget exactly how their numbering system goes).
Old Feb 15, 2005, 10:13 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver, HHonors Silver, United MileagePlus, Jet Blue TrueBlue
Marriott CasaMagna Cancun package deal...

Hello. I just booked a premium oceanview 2 double bed room at the Marriott this April for 5 nights. Booked "Total Escape Package" which includes 3 daily meals and drinks all day (alcoholic & non-alcoholic) for my wife, myself and my two daughters (6 & 2). It looks like the Kids Club is also included. I am paying $389 a night which includes taxes, service charges and gratuities.

Providing we don't mind eating all (most) of our meals at the hotel (which we do not mind) does this rate sound almost to good to be true? Does anyone have any info on this package? Also there were no King rooms available when we called but we can request one at check-in. Do these rooms have pull out sofas?

Also can we use the JW Marriott pool & facilities next door as well? Any other info you can share regarding this resort would be appreciated. Lots of questions never been to this hotel but it looks great!

Thanks,

Marc

Last edited by gores95; Feb 16, 2005 at 5:29 am
Old Feb 16, 2005, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by gores95
Hello. I just booked a premium oceanview 2 double bed room at the Marriott this April for 5 nights. Booked "Total Escape Package" which includes 3 daily meals and drinks all day (alcoholic & non-alcoholic) for my wife, myself and my two daughters (6 & 2). It looks like the Kids Club is also included. I am paying $389 a night which includes taxes, service charges and gratuities.

Providing we don't mind eating all (most) of our meals at the hotel (which we do not mind) does this rate sound almost to good to be true? Does anyone have any info on this package? Also there were no King rooms available when we called but we can request one at check-in. Do these rooms have pull out sofas?

Also can we use the JW Marriott pool & facilities next door as well? Any other info you can share regarding this resort would be appreciated. Lots of questions never been to this hotel but it looks great!

Thanks,

Marc
Don't know if I can really tell you whether the package is a good deal or not, but this is what my wife and I did.

We (my wife and I) booked there for $99 dollars a night last year for the last week of April/first week of May (was a prepay rate through Marriott.com). We took a bundle of $100 bonus bucks which paid for the majority of our food (bought off ebay for $20 each). They allowed us to use 5 bonus bucks instead of the four we should have been able to use. You can charge stuff to your room from the JW and have them covered by bonus bucks.

We spent 8 nights there and our total including hotel was about $1100--not bad for eight nights and a lot of expensive hotel food. The restaurants there and at the JW are all pretty good. There were several nights that our dinner alone cost us $100 for the two of us (at the two nicer place...an argentinian steakhouse and some place at the JW). And we don't drink anything alcoholic, so your dinners would probably be more expensive.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, ask. This is a great property with great staff. Tip the housemaids everyday and they will keep your room sparkling and leave you some extras (some chocolates, or do your towels up into animal shapes, etc.)
Old Feb 16, 2005, 9:14 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver, HHonors Silver, United MileagePlus, Jet Blue TrueBlue
Thanks for the info. I will definitely look into these "bonus bucks". We normally stay at Starwood properties but the Westin in Cancun did not look anywhere near as nice as the two Marriott properties.

So if I get this straight we should be allowed to use FOUR bonus bucks (or $400 worth) of certificates to cover incidentals, etc. I will check eBay.

Any other good ideas? I heard of this $15 Brandt 2 for 1 card but if all meals are already covered it doesn't make sense.

Thanks,

Marc

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.