Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Aloft Bangkok - Sukhumvit 11, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aloft Bangkok - Sukhumvit 11, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2012, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by yosithezet
... I think it would be more interesting to hear how this Aloft compares to othe Aloft and the Plat treatment at other Aloft than comparing it to the SGS or FP.
Originally Posted by ws8n
Not sure how much diff is Aloft USA to BKK,....
At the end of 2009, I stayed several times at the Aloft in Lexington, Massachusetts during the double stay promotion in order to gain PLT for the first time. I found my room at Aloft on soi 11 identical in every respect to the ones at Lexington.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 5:51 am
Suspended

Do you get complimentary bottled water in the rooms (since it's not a brand standard) ?

Sure they don't have to offer free breakfast to platinums, but every other Starwood hotel in BKK does it even though it's not a requirement for any of the brands.

It seems silly to me that the hotel is paying Starwood a fee to use a brand name that's almost unknown in the region with the hope of attracting loyal spg members, but stinge on breakfast thereby discouraging the most loyal and frequent guests from staying there. They may be better off financially operating as an independent hotel if they are not able to attract loyal spg members.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mario33
Sure they don't have to offer free breakfast to platinums, but every other Starwood hotel in BKK does it even though it's not a requirement for any of the brands.

It seems silly to me that the hotel is paying Starwood a fee to use a brand name that's almost unknown in the region with the hope of attracting loyal spg members, but stinge on breakfast thereby discouraging the most loyal and frequent guests from staying there. They may be better off financially operating as an independent hotel if they are not able to attract loyal spg members.
Exactly. Forget the brand standard. They have a good deal of competitive pressure, if you ask me.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 11:17 am
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
there was free water in my room
Old Jan 9, 2012, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
There are multiple *wood properties close by that DO offer Plat benefits. Maybe their idea is "let's use the location to go after 20somethings who don't feel like they can shell out for a W, and the plats will keep going elsewhere".

I mean, really, couldn't you make the exact same argument about aloft in the USA? You won't get suite upgrades there, either.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 7:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I mean, really, couldn't you make the exact same argument about aloft in the USA? You won't get suite upgrades there, either.
I believe there is greater awareness of the Aloft brand in the US, so they may have their niche in the 20 something crowd who can't afford to stay at W. In any event, chances of suite upgrade at other Starwood hotels in the US is not that great anyway (at the major cities), so it may not make much difference to many platinum guests especially those traveling for work who only need a bed to sleep.

Outside the US hardly anyone has heard of Aloft, apart from the
hardcore Starwood fans who are mainly platinum members. If you alienate this group of customers, you must as well go independent since majority of the other guests doesn't know much about Starwood anyway, and probably chose the hotel for it's location and design.

Breakfast is almost guaranteed at all the other Starwood hotels in Bangkok and most guests would partake in the hotel breakfast if offered free to them, so it's actually a more useful benefit than a potential suite upgrade (even if the value is smaller). If they were to offer a free breakfast, it would put them on a level playing field with the other properties since the suite upgrade is never guaranteed anyway at the other hotels especially the properties located at Sukhumvit.

My bet is that they will introduce free breakfast within the next 6 months ...

Last edited by mario33; Jan 10, 2012 at 7:52 am
Old Jan 10, 2012, 7:58 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Outside the US hardly anyone has heard of Aloft, apart from the
hardcore Starwood fans who are mainly platinum members. If you alienate this group of customers, you must as well go independent since majority of guests doesn't know much about Starwood anyway, and probably chose the hotel for it's location and design.
I don't agree that they might as well go independent. First of all the brand isn't well known as they are just starting to expand this relatively new brand into the region. Given time and expansion it will become a known brand. Second, many people who book through Starwood's corporate websites are not necessarily part of the loyalty program. I have to imagine that much of this is due to a lack of awareness. But many of them will be used to Aloft from other parts of the world and quite satisfied that they are getting exactly what they expect. I wouldn't be surprised if your prediction of breakfast comes true, but I suspect that will have more to do with what other hotels in their price range are doing rather than other Starwood hotels.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wouldn't be surprised if your prediction of breakfast comes true, but I suspect that will have more to do with what other hotels in their price range are doing rather than other Starwood hotels.
May be it turns out this way- however is 250 THB per night really the deciding factor for a hotel??? ~5GBP/6EUR/8USD decides where someone stays? Really?
Old Jan 10, 2012, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Second, many people who book through Starwood's corporate websites are not necessarily part of the loyalty program. I have to imagine that much of this is due to a lack of awareness.
Speaking of lack of awareness, i ran into a guy at SGS on my last stay who is a somewhat regular guest there (1-2×/year) and whose travel agent has him paying rack rate on all his stays!!! I didn't know that you could actually book a room at rack rate.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Speaking of lack of awareness, i ran into a guy at SGS on my last stay who is a somewhat regular guest there (1-2×/year) and whose travel agent has him paying rack rate on all his stays!!! I didn't know that you could actually book a room at rack rate.
Sure the travel agent is happy to book them for 10% commission.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 9:21 am
Suspended

I don't agree that they might as well go independent.
I am looking at it from the hotel perspective, rather than that of a spg member. Why pay the hefty management fee when you are not reaching out to the ready pool of loyal spg members.

It will take a long long time, before such brands will achieve some form of awareness in the region. Four Points hotels are still leveraging on the Sheraton name, Double Tree is marketed as Hiltons (at least the one in KL) and Pullman still very much unknown.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am looking at it from the hotel perspective, rather than that of a spg member. Why pay the hefty management fee when you are not reaching out to the ready pool of loyal spg members.

It will take a long long time, before such brands will achieve some form of awareness in the region. Four Points hotels are still leveraging on the Sheraton name, Double Tree is marketed as Hiltons (at least the one in KL) and Pullman still very much unknown.
But they are: I'm a Gold, and the pricing+benefits at this hotel+location were enough to get me in the door instead of other area hotels that weren't affiliated with SPG.

But we don't really exist compared to you Platinums, of course.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
May be it turns out this way- however is 250 THB per night really the deciding factor for a hotel??? ~5GBP/6EUR/8USD decides where someone stays? Really?
In my case, it was the lack of any platinum benefits and the desire to stay at a better full-service property in that same area. That's why I elected to move my reservation to a different property even though I had some interest in trying a brand I've never tried before.

So is it just a matter of 250THB? (Actually 500THB, for 1 or 2 people, right?). Not exactly. To me it was more about the fact that there are better SPG options nearby, all with excellent pricing. That might sort itself out as Thailand tourism recovers and rates sort themselves out a bit and this property might find its place as the low cost option in that area. But if the price is really close to the four points, I'm not sure why anybody would pick this property over the nearby four points.

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
But they are: I'm a Gold, and the pricing+benefits at this hotel+location were enough to get me in the door instead of other area hotels that weren't affiliated with SPG.

But we don't really exist compared to you Platinums, of course.
It might not seem that way around here, but there's a lot more gold SPG members than platinum SPG members.

-David
Old Jan 16, 2012, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Speaking of PLT bennies (or not), I received this e-mail from Aloft Suk 11 this morning, for a rezzy made about 12 hours earlier:

Hello Dr. HFH !

Greetings from the bustling Sukhumvit 11!

Welcome to the new tWistSM in travel, Aloft Bangkok – Sukhumvit 11!
We are pleased to learn that you will be staying with us. We are excited to welcome you to the first Aloft brand’s first hotel in Thailand.

As a SPG Platinum Preferred Guest member, you will be entitled to special rewards and recognition on all your eligible stays at Aloft Bangkok – Sukhumvit 11. To ensure you will have a pleasant stay with us, below please find a list of platinum benefits that you can enjoy during your stay with us.

SPG – Platinum Preferred Level Membership benefits

• 250 Starpoints® bonus - Platinum welcome amenity upon arrival per stay
• A complimentary a-specialty welcome drink per person per day
• Guaranteed 4pm late check-out
• Three Starpoints® per every eligible USD spent throughout the hotel including hotel’s restaurant, bar, in-room dining or room-service charges – 50% bonus Starpoints® over the base Starpoint®

Thank you very much again for choosing to stay with us. Should you require further information on the above mentioned benefits, please contact our Reservations department via email address [email protected] or phone number +66 (0) 2207 7272 anytime at your convenience.

We look forward to welcoming you to Aloft Bangkok – Sukhumvit 11!

Live life Aloft,

[Res. Agent's name redacted]
Reservation Agent | Aloft Bangkok - Sukhumvit 11
35 Sukhumvit Soi 11 Sukhumvit Rd.,
Bangkok 10110 Thailand
Tel +66 2 207 7000 Direct +66 2 207 7200 Fax +66 2 207 7272
alofthotels.com/bangkoksukhumvit11 - a new tWistSM in travel

Follow us on facebook at www.facebook.com/aloftbangkoksukhumvit11
*Click ‘Like’ to become a fan and be part of the buzz!

This electronic message transmission contains information from the Company that may be proprietary, confidential and/or privileged. The information is intended only for the use of the individual(s) or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying or distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. If you have received this electronic transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately by replying to the address listed in the "From:" field.
Hope that clears things up a bit. Cheers!!
Old Jan 16, 2012, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Golds get all of those bennies except for the 250 SPG points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.