Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Aloft Bangkok - Sukhumvit 11, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aloft Bangkok - Sukhumvit 11, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2012, 2:20 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Marriott, Hertz #1 Club
No Platinum wants the ALoft or any hotel to give a stay credit for what you did. If stay credits were given out only based on payment for the room, we would have a huge thread on FT discussing the dilution of Platinum status due to the massive amount of people who can arbitrarily get stays using this method.

I understand the complaint that you were told otherwise. I do believe that resulted in a bad result for you. But you also had a responsibility to understand the T&C's. Maybe for the first stay they could compensate you for the misunderstanding - but without the attitude you expressed in your post. You were misinformed and you should ask if anything can be done to correct your misunderstanding. You must now that you are not entitled to what you wanted, but that the GM went above and beyond to fix the situation.

And to be clear, how could you possibly know how they treat platinum guests? There was no platinum guest staying at the hotel. Again, paying for someone else's room does not get you a stay or get that person platinum treatment.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 2:27 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by Rusty65
No Platinum wants the ALoft or any hotel to give a stay credit for what you did. If stay credits were given out only based on payment for the room, we would have a huge thread on FT discussing the dilution of Platinum status due to the massive amount of people who can arbitrarily get stays using this method.

I understand the complaint that you were told otherwise. I do believe that resulted in a bad result for you. But you also had a responsibility to understand the T&C's. Maybe for the first stay they could compensate you for the misunderstanding - but without the attitude you expressed in your post. You were misinformed and you should ask if anything can be done to correct your misunderstanding. You must now that you are not entitled to what you wanted, but that the GM went above and beyond to fix the situation.

And to be clear, how could you possibly know how they treat platinum guests? There was no platinum guest staying at the hotel. Again, paying for someone else's room does not get you a stay or get that person platinum treatment.
Well said. ^
Old Mar 8, 2012, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by Rusty65

Let me clarify something. The GM did not give me credit for those nights. After speaking with him, he explained that he will not and could not because check in was done by my assistant using his passport. I told him that I was ok with that. I requested that he give credit to my assistant instead and he was willing to do that. We spoke and he was professional. He cut me off a few times mid sentence and did not give me the same courtesy as I did. I had to point that out in our conversation to finish my sentence. Again I was every respectful and friendly about the whole conversation. He explained to me that he will follow the T&C to the letter no mater what the situation. I agreed that he should and that he should inform his staff about misinforming me. I disclosed my intentions and explained in detail what I planned to do. I also informed the evening night manager on duty and the front desk manager I would be sending my assistant to check in with my credit card and if that would be an issue for to get credit so there is no deception or lies here. So please don't try to say that I'm trying to cheat the system. I was in full disclosure with my intention and wanted to verify.

In regards to platinum status treatment. I have hand more then 2 dozen friends who visited me here in Bangkok and most of them are platinum who stayed at the ALOFT Bangkok. We talked about the Aloft considering it was a new property. They also say at check in that they opt out of certain benefits for platinums. Platinum recognition is poor or non existent at this property and all of us came to the same conclusion. We are aware Aloft Bangkok is a cat 1, but to me I still see it as any other SPG property.

In regards to stay credit and platinum dilution I agree. But mattress and mileage runs are a common and known practice at any hotel franchise and airlines. I made it aware to the hotel of what I wanted to do. I'm also average 100+ with spg each year, so I'm not diluting the program.

As I mentioned earlier, it was settled and we had a productive conversation. He mentioned that he does read this thread so he is aware. It's nice to know when there are GMs that spend time to read comments, concerns, and compliments on flyer talk.

I also believe the reason for the GM's decision to not credit the night stay was for the 4000 points he credited me when I had a booking at the Aloft but the hotel was not completed. I believe this was one of the reasons why he was not willing to be reasonable even though his staff made the mistake of misinforming me.

Last edited by homemadeCheeseoneverything; Mar 8, 2012 at 9:00 pm
Old Mar 8, 2012, 7:47 pm

Programs: QF SG
Originally Posted by homemadeCheeseoneverything
I encourage platinums to avoid this category one hotel Aloft and instead stay at any other property like the Grande Sheraton instead with excellent platinum recognition.
Somehow I think that Aloft and Luxury Collection properties are aimed at different markets and the crossover is relatively small.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by bacook
Somehow I think that Aloft and Luxury Collection properties are aimed at different markets and the crossover is relatively small.
Yes they are aimed at different markets, but to me they are all the same in regards to being an SPG property. I've had excellent stays at Alofts in North America then I did at a W hotel or Luxury collection. I would often consider staying at an Aloft or a Sheraton equally when it comes to whole stay quality.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 8:53 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
In regards to platinum status treatment. I have hand more then 2 dozen friends who visited me here in Bangkok and most of them are platinum who stayed at the ALOFT Bangkok. We talked about the Aloft considering it was a new property. They also say at check in that they opt out of certain benefits for platinums. Platinum recognition is poor or non existent at this property and all of came to the same conclusion. We are aware Aloft Bangkok is a cat 1, but to me I still see it as any other SPG property.
Just to clarify. They are not opting out of anything. The SPG T&C state what you will and will not get and the Aloft is providing what they are supposed to be providing per the T&C. For instance, per the SPG T&C Plats get 250 Starpoints if points are selected as an amenity versus 500 at the other brands. This isn't opting out or providing less recognition, this is the way the SPG T&C are written. Per the T&C you are not upgraded to suites at an Aloft. This isn't non-existent Platinum recognition but what the T&Cs state. Lastly, the Aloft Harlem is a Cat 5 property. Category has nothing to to do with recognition or quality but is a representation of the Average Daily Rates the property has been able to charge over time. The Le Meridien in Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai are also Category 1 and they are much higher level properties than any Aloft.

The Aloft Bangkok has its place and seems to be doing a good job of serving the segment for which it is designed. As bacook posted, it isn't aimed at the segment that stays at the SGS, WGS or St. Regis. It is all about having appropriate expectations and knowing what you will and will not get. A Plat staying that Aloft should expect exactly what they seem to be providing.

Glad that it was resolved with your assistant getting the points and nights. Hopefully we'll have another Plat to contend with.

Last edited by yosithezet; Mar 8, 2012 at 9:07 pm Reason: good idea -> good job
Old Mar 8, 2012, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by yosithezet
Just to clarify. They are not opting out of anything. The SPG T&C state what you will and will not get and the Aloft is providing what they are supposed to be providing per the T&C. For instance, per the SPG T&C Plats get 250 Starpoints if points are selected as an amenity versus 500 at the other brands. This isn't opting out or providing less recognition, this is the way the SPG T&C are written. Per the T&C you are not upgraded to suites at an Aloft. This isn't non-existent Platinum recognition but what the T&Cs state. Lastly, the Aloft Harlem is a Cat 5 property. Category has nothing to to do with recognition or quality but is a representation of the Average Daily Rates the property has been able to charge over time. The Le Meridien in Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai are also Category 1 and they are much higher level properties than any Aloft.

The Aloft Bangkok has its place and seems to be doing a good idea of serving the segment for which it is designed. As bacook posted, it isn't aimed at the segment that stays at the SGS, WGS or St. Regis. It is all about having appropriate expectations and knowing what you will and will not get. A Plat staying that Aloft should expect exactly what they seem to be providing.

Glad that it was resolved with your assistant getting the points and nights. Hopefully we'll have another Plat to contend with.

The front desk staff during check in for the first night I checked in told me they do not upgrade and do not participate for some benefits or platinum. Those were the words she used when I checked in the first time when I asked if an upgrade was possible.

I understand the terms and conditions because I reviewed them last night to get more familiar. I understand my benefits a lot more because of it. I'm sure I'll never have this issue again. My assistant has been with me for nearly a decade. He's top tier with Hyatt, Marriott, and Hiltons. He prefers to stay at the Hyatt or Marriott near by if I am booked in an SPG property. Even though I believe SPG's program is a lot more rewarding, he continues to keep his opinion. I believe its because he has a courtesy card even though he says otherwise. I had him make an account after the GM agreed to credit my assistant. He would have never registered otherwise.

Last edited by homemadeCheeseoneverything; Mar 8, 2012 at 9:16 pm
Old Mar 8, 2012, 9:14 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
The front desk staff during check in for the first night I checked in told me they do not upgrade and do not participate for some benefits or platinum. Those were the words she used when I checked in the first time when I asked if an upgrade was possible.
You were asking for an upgrade and then got irritated that they didn't give you one?

The Front desk staff were absolutely right! They, as an aloft, do not upgrade. Read the SPG T&C's for the Platinum benefits. The first footnote explicitly says aloft and element do not participate in the upgrade benefit.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefer...preferred.html
Old Mar 8, 2012, 10:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, UA LT-Gold, SPG Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, MR Gold
Why would you need to mattress run when you average 100+ stays/nites with SPG every year?

In regards to stay credit and platinum dilution I agree. But mattress and mileage runs are a common and known practice at any hotel franchise and airlines. I made it aware to the hotel of what I wanted to do. I'm also average 100+ with spg each year, so I'm not diluting the program.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by ws8n
Why would you need to mattress run when you average 100+ stays/nites with SPG every year?
Mastercard promotion for 9 nights and 2 night free this quarter and points. I am so use to the term mattress run. I guess it's really not a mattress run. I hear this terminology among friends who don't have enough stays near the end of the year and I just got used to using that terminology. I guess it's a promo run instead of a mattress run.

Last edited by homemadeCheeseoneverything; Mar 8, 2012 at 10:56 pm
Old Mar 8, 2012, 10:56 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Back On Topic....

Originally Posted by seanthepilot
I have recently completed several visits to this property.

I give it "4 thumbs up" ^^^^

Room GREAT. Tastefully decorated, 42 in flatscreen (w/hdmi input) lots of outlets, good water pressure in the shower. Only downside of the room was no bathtub, which won't bother most people.

Khun Narongsak, the FOM called me having recognized my name from the SGS where he worked for years.

The front desk was professional to a fault.

I did not see or smell anything that would indicate the hotel is new or still undergoing renovations, even though they have many rooms still to finish.

BUT, the hotel is at the back of Soi 11, about 500 meters in. The walk can be an experience in dodging taxi touts, traffic, fruit sellers, street food, and taxi or massage touts. But, it makes for a lively 10 minute walk in and out of the soi. The good news is that the Nana Sky Train stairway is right at the corner of Soi 11.

Enjoy the Aloft. Great Hotel. Great Value.
I loved it.
Anyway, I just want to bring the talk back to people's stays.

I was also given an entrance card to the two discos, Bed and Q-Bar. Although it didn't do me any good, the cover charge was quite high on both places, so technically it could have saved me a bit of dough.

Also quite good was the single serving coffee maker in the room .... yumyum
Old Mar 8, 2012, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Most

I was also given an entrance card to the two discos, Bed and Q-Bar. Although it didn't do me any good, the cover charge was quite high on both places, so technically it could have saved me a bit of dough.
As pointed here earlier, the cover charge would have included two drinks @ Bed. Also, when I stayed at the Aloft you could have gotten in for free + 1 free drink by just checking in using Foursquare.

Last edited by holtju2; Mar 8, 2012 at 11:29 pm
Old Mar 8, 2012, 11:23 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
I would have paid more NOT to have to stay long enough to have that drink. Bed Supper Club is not my kinda place.

The good news is that their presence across the street from the hotel in no way affects the Aloft atmosphere.

I still maintain that the hotel is far inside Soi 11. But the short 10 minute walk does provide for the whole Bangkok street experience, including street food, restaurants and sit down bars, etc.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 2:00 am

Platinum recognition is poor or non existent at this property and all of us came to the same conclusion.
It's not that property, it's the Aloft brand.

Anyway, if you read back in this thread, I think many of us concluded that Plats are generally better off staying at the other SPG properties in the area, (for extended benefits) especially since at the time the rates at the nearby 4points were very close to the rates here.

-David
Old Mar 9, 2012, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I still maintain that the hotel is far inside Soi 11. But the short 10 minute walk does provide for the whole Bangkok street experience, including street food, restaurants and sit down bars, etc.
I stayed here a few weeks ago for two nights. I only was in BKK for two nights between visits to REP and CEI. Couldn't resist the 2,111++ (or was it 2,211?) rate and didn't want to spend 500 points per night to get SPG50 at SGS (which still would have been 3,750++) for a quick, short stay. I never really thought about it that way, but SeanThePilot is absolutely right. You get it all in that walk down Soi 11. Definitely worth the walk for the experience, especially if you're not a Bangkok regular.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Mar 9, 2012 at 5:57 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.