Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Aloft Bangkok - Sukhumvit 11, Thailand [Master Thread]

Aloft Bangkok - Sukhumvit 11, Thailand [Master Thread]

Old Sep 15, 2012, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by bostonbali
I understand the comment about Ros being a good value, but why do you consider the 4P to be a good value?
i have a lot of reasons why i would consider it very good value....i usually pay around thb 3k, its one of the better four points i have stayed in around the world, all 4 of my stays have been upgraded to a terrace suite, the breakfast is good with lots of choices, walking distance to lots of shopping & restaurants, close to the bts....
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:52 pm

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
aloft

i stayed at the aloft, and i really liked it.
the free entry cards for bSC are handy, and if you want to accrue stay counts its the cheapest spg hotel in bkk.

i only use the aloft, if i have to book 2-3 rooms for the night in bkk.
using spg cash and points, gives you 3 rooms at a very cheap rate, even the ROS wont come close to that.

so next time i will stay for 4 days having 3 rooms and getting 12 night towards my lifetime platinum
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:20 pm

After 3 or 4 stays here as a Platinum, I've made decision that this is not a hotel for me. Yes, it is currently the cheapest of the bunch - a steal at THB2100++, but here's why I won't be returning:

1. Not even a one-category upgrade to an Urban room, or even to higher floors for Platinums. I understand SPG says no upgrade at alofts, but most SPG Asia hotels go beyond to honor Plats. Chic and Urban are practically the same size, except Urban has open city views as opposed to next building's views in Chic rooms.
2. The breakfast, which is offered in lieu of the 250 points, is poor.
3. Absolutely slow, horrendous slow speed in-room wifi. The operator who tried to help me said she had reset the connection, but it did not solve the issue. (This was the first for me at this hotel, but I am not risking it again for future stays)
4. The extra walk to reach BTS. The soi is crowded with street vendors at night and smelly in the morning.

I will gladly spend the extra THB that either Four Points or Le Meridien charges next time.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by broadwayboy
1. Not even a one-category upgrade to an Urban room, or even to higher floors for Platinums. I understand SPG says no upgrade at alofts, but most SPG Asia hotels go beyond to honor Plats. Chic and Urban are practically the same size, except Urban has open city views as opposed to next building's views in Chic rooms.
I often use this hotel for friends who don't want to spend what the SGS costs. I book the rooms in my name and check in for my friends so I get the stay and point credit. I have always received the upgrade to the city view room, and the FD agent has always mentioned the upgrade when I check in.

While obviously not one of the nicer buffet breakfasts (SGS, PA, LM, WGS), I thought that the bagel/lox/cream cheese was delicious, -- much better than Bangkok Bagels.

4. The extra walk to reach BTS. The soi is crowded with street vendors at night and smelly in the morning.
I rather enjoy the walk, particularly at night. I find it a great opportunity to experience much of Bangkok street life. No question, though, it can be dirty and smelly at times.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
I don't mind the walk during the day, at night I don't care for it.

There is a tuk tuk you can request (I've used this when checking out).
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:45 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by dsquared37
There is a tuk tuk you can request (I've used this when checking out).
Speaking of tuk-tuk, yesterday, I saw the 4P one dropping members doing matterss run off at the aloft
Old Sep 30, 2012, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Kalboz
Speaking of tuk-tuk, yesterday, I saw the 4P one dropping members doing matterss run off at the aloft
I might be using that one, or going in the reverse, in about 2 weeks time.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 6:59 pm

I did that on Saturday at 4PM!

Old Sep 30, 2012, 7:35 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
I did that on Saturday at 4PM!
Oh, was that you? ... I was there to visit none other that our Seanthepilot!
Old Oct 1, 2012, 2:52 am

I did not see the photo earlier, but Kalboz, you did not ask for my permission to take my picture and put it on public website! Hahaha.

Yup, that was me! Too bad we did not coordinate. But wow, what a timing!

Oh, was that you? ... I was there to visit none other that our Seanthepilot!
Old Oct 1, 2012, 6:25 am

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, AA CK, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, KAL MC, Hyatt Globalist, Sixt Plat, Hertz PC
Just did a mattress run here 26-28 Spet. and booked three rooms but only one room credited. Having bad luck with properties in Thailand posting points right.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 11:21 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
After 3 or 4 stays here as a Platinum, I've made decision that this is not a hotel for me. Yes, it is currently the cheapest of the bunch - a steal at THB2100++, but here's why I won't be returning:
I've been here at least a dozen times as a gold. It is quickly becoming my favorite BKK property. Will that change when I am Plat... we'll see.

It's been discussed a lot. Platinums get better benefits at other properties. But people don't stay here for the benefits.

1. Not even a one-category upgrade to an Urban room, or even to higher floors for Platinums. I understand SPG says no upgrade at alofts, but most SPG Asia hotels go beyond to honor Plats
I am baffled that this can be in your list. Aloft does not upgrade.
Do I think this is a mistake on Starwood's part? Yes, but it remains.
No upgrades at this property unless they overbook the category and move you up. I wish they would do some room category shuffling, but that doesn't change corporate policy.

I have yet to see the breakfast at this hotel. No comment other than YES, I would guess that every other SPG breakfast offering beats this hotel.

3. Absolutely slow, horrendous slow speed in-room wifi. The operator who tried to help me said she had reset the connection, but it did not solve the issue.

I have no complaints on internet here. This is one test from this morning (as I write from my non-upgraded room). I think that 2 megs is not fast, not slow. I have noticed no problems, even with video streaming and video conference calling.

It is a LONG walk to Sukhumvit, no doubt. But, I take a motorcycle from Sukhumvit for 10THB.

There are countless restaurants along the stretch. Aussie Bar is overpriced but great food. Au Bon Pain serves REAL coffee. Soi 11 has a better vibrancy than most in Bangkok.

I will gladly spend the extra THB that either Four Points or Le Meridien charges next time.
I stayed at the Plaza Atheene also this week, and couldn't wait to get back to the Aloft. Great room, huge TV with HDMI inputs that I can use, lots of power plugs, an iphone stereo/charger, free internet, a great coffee maker, and a great location for eating options. 1 block from the BTS, 2+ from the MRT is also handy.

I also like that it's not too HiSo for me. Maybe a bit to Hip in the lobby, but with a near perfect room (for the points I make above).

It may not be the best hotel for you... but they treat me good, and I like it here! I like it a lot!
Old Oct 1, 2012, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by seanthepilot

I stayed at the Plaza Atheene also this week, and couldn't wait to get back to the Aloft. Great room, huge TV with HDMI inputs that I can use, lots of power plugs, an iphone stereo/charger, free internet, a great coffee maker, and a great location for eating options. 1 block from the BTS, 2+ from the MRT is also handy.
Plaza Athenee for a Platinum: Suite upgrade, Lounge access, wonderful breakfast buffet in the restaurant & cocktails in the lounge or in the bar downstairs.

aLoft is a good property IF you don't have Starwood status and/or don't care about any benefits.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 12:39 am

I am not the one to see the future, but I have a feeling your opinion *will* change! :-)

Anyhow, too bad I missed you and Kalboz on Saturday! I would've liked to say hello in person.

I never had any wifi problem on my past stays here, but somehow on Sat and Sun morning, it just didn't like me. It was awfully slow!

Originally Posted by seanthepilot
I've been here at least a dozen times as a gold. It is quickly becoming my favorite BKK property. Will that change when I am Plat... we'll see.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 1:15 am

I am not the one to see the future, but I have a feeling your opinion *will* change! :-)

Anyhow, too bad I missed you and Kalboz on Saturday! I would've liked to say hello in person.

I never had any wifi problem on my past stays here, but somehow on Sat and Sun morning, it just didn't like me. It was awfully slow!
I just called the hotel to check out as I am staying at the JW Marriott. This was a stay to get 25% off redemption in a Welcome Back offer that was extended to me. My rate was THB 2,100++ and I was upgraded to the THB 2,400++ room, and, BTW, I am a Gold but I requested an upgrade at check-in just to see what was gonna get done!

Also, I took their tuk-tuk back to Sukhumvit proper. ^ http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/...in/photostream

Last edited by Kalboz; Oct 2, 2012 at 1:40 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.