Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Aloft Bangkok - Sukhumvit 11, Thailand [Master Thread]

Aloft Bangkok - Sukhumvit 11, Thailand [Master Thread]

Old May 11, 2012, 10:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
before you buy it I think you should first assertain whether the land is freehold or leasehold and whether it has any BoI privileges

Originally Posted by jefi99
According to an article in "The Nation" today, the hotel is for sale. Whether it is just the property/real estate is not clear, but I presume that the franchise can continue under a new owner?
Old May 11, 2012, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by jefi99
According to an article in "The Nation" today, the hotel is for sale. Whether it is just the property/real estate is not clear, but I presume that the franchise can continue under a new owner?
Hotel like aLoft is more difficult to reflag due to the config of the hardware than typical hotels. I am sure that Starwood has management contract for few years, although the fastest way to get kicked out is to stop paying the franchisee bills.
Old May 14, 2012, 9:33 pm

Programs: OZ*G, AZ Gold, Etihad Gold, SK*G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by jakesideas
Any details to the price and the rent paid? Can you post a link to the article?
Sorry, no, I read it in the printed edition

Originally Posted by Keyser
Didn't notice that when searching. But yet another example of FT being waaay faster than local/general press
Old May 14, 2012, 11:12 pm

Programs: SPG, Etihad Guest, EK Skyawards, Thai ROP, MR Silver
I have stayed at Aloft some 5 times now and love it. I was most recently there last Friday night and Sunday night with the intervening night at 4Points.

I 'upgraded' to a Touch room on the Sunday and fount the mobile phone Fingi application on the Galaxy II they gice you to be great fund and also very handy.

More details here http://www.lifeofguangzhou.com/node_...87295304.shtml

The staff are great and as for location, it would be tough to beat Soi 11 for choice of restaurants, clubs, wine bars and its proximity to the BTS at Nana.
Old May 15, 2012, 3:06 am

Programs: OZ*G, AZ Gold, Etihad Gold, SK*G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by tolsti
I have stayed at Aloft some 5 times now and love it. I was most recently there last Friday night and Sunday night with the intervening night at 4Points.

I 'upgraded' to a Touch room on the Sunday and fount the mobile phone Fingi application on the Galaxy II they gice you to be great fund and also very handy.

More details here http://www.lifeofguangzhou.com/node_...87295304.shtml

The staff are great and as for location, it would be tough to beat Soi 11 for choice of restaurants, clubs, wine bars and its proximity to the BTS at Nana.
I need to check it out next time I am in BKK. I have stayed at the nearby LeFenix, Seasons Boutique Hotel and the Ambassador. I obviously stayed there for the location.
Old May 15, 2012, 6:20 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by broadwayboy
Has anyone had breakfast at this property? How is it, compared to, Four Points BKK?
I dont think the breakfast worthed. It has only like 5 hot items ith egg stations with bread, salad/cold and desset corner.

I ate there because I got some dinning coupon to offset. Will definitly not pay b550++ for there breKfast indeed that the only time I had it. Stayed in that property 3 times.
Old May 15, 2012, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by lingua101
I dont think the breakfast worthed. It has only like 5 hot items ith egg stations with bread, salad/cold and desset corner.

I ate there because I got some dinning coupon to offset. Will definitly not pay b550++ for there breKfast indeed that the only time I had it. Stayed in that property 3 times.
Geez, 550 baht for that breakfast and only 700 (IIRC) for the huge SGS buffet? A difference of around USD $5? Is it just me, or does anyone else see an incongruity there?
Old Jul 11, 2012, 6:09 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Marriott, Hertz #1 Club
I previously had a stay at Aloft and wrote that it delivered on its expectations and I recommended it.

My most recent stay came after my first time stay at the Four Points and I want to amend my original recommendation to a more limited recommendation based on the relatively cheap price.

The physical part of the hotel for Aloft versus Four Points is a matter of taste. Aloft has the younger vibe and the Four Points is more classic hotel. I liked them both equally.

The platinum perks were as expected. Limited upgrade options at the Four Points and no upgrade at Aloft.

The difference makers for me that came from the direct comparison:

1. Breakfast at Four Points is better. Best example is 100% juice at Four Points, something watered down at Aloft.

2. Distance from Sukhumvit. My return to Aloft had me enjoying the Soi 11 walk much less. Although a happening place, Aloft to Sukhumvit on Soi 11 is not the easiest place to walk and it was not enjoyable making that roundtrip trek twice a day.

3. My experience on check in at Aloft. On check in at Aloft at 1:30 PM, I was told there were no rooms available unless I wanted to pay to upgrade to a room with a view. This is not me complaining of what I was entitled to as a platinum - I now I was not entitled. This is a normal customer service issue of me arriving at a reasonable time and them making me wait for a room or pay a fee when they had rooms available that were close to what I had paid for. They were within their rights to make me wait until the official check in - but it did not make me feel welcomed.

Overall, The Aloft hotel is still a good choice at the price point - but there are better options if you spend a little more.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 6:27 pm

Programs: HGP/SPG: Apprentice Kettle; UA/AA/DL: Journeyman Kettle
Originally Posted by Rusty65
-- SNIP --

Overall, The Aloft hotel is still a good choice at the price point - but there are better options if you spend a little more.
What are the better options? And how much, in your estimation, is a little more?
Old Jul 12, 2012, 3:05 am

Originally Posted by MIT_SBM
What are the better options? And how much, in your estimation, is a little more?
There's tons of good hotels in BKK for less than 2K baht. Too many to enumerate actually. (feel free to PM me and include where and how much). I'd always rather be at the 4Points if you want to stick w/SPG. wj
Old Jul 17, 2012, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Most
Old Jul 22, 2012, 2:58 am
cxn

The problem with this hotel, is the the walk to. The best way to resolve this is to go to the FourPoints hotel and ask them to take you with their TukTuk.

I have stayed here and would stay again if I were a) younger and b) had no SPG status. They didnt seem to go over and above for me and checked out early.

This hotel could go a long way at putting at TukTuk at the top near Nana and run people back and forth. Other hotels do it so why catn the aloft?
Old Jul 22, 2012, 3:13 am

Programs: UA 1K - 2mm, AA Platinum- 2mm, Starwood Lifetime Platinum (Ambassador)
Originally Posted by cxn
The problem with this hotel, is the the walk to. The best way to resolve this is to go to the FourPoints hotel and ask them to take you with their TukTuk.

I have stayed here and would stay again if I were a) younger and b) had no SPG status. They didnt seem to go over and above for me and checked out early.

This hotel could go a long way at putting at TukTuk at the top near Nana and run people back and forth. Other hotels do it so why catn the aloft?
When I've stayed there and didn't feel like walking, I'd just take one of the motorbike taxis. Maybe 20thb. I always found the walk to be one what entertaining...
Old Jul 22, 2012, 4:34 am

Programs: HGP/SPG: Apprentice Kettle; UA/AA/DL: Journeyman Kettle
Originally Posted by whackyjacky
There's tons of good hotels in BKK for less than 2K baht. Too many to enumerate actually. (feel free to PM me and include where and how much). I'd always rather be at the 4Points if you want to stick w/SPG. wj
I have sent you a PM.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by jkingsle
I always found the walk to be one what entertaining...
Agreed. Soi 11 has so much, -- top nightclubs, beer bars, sports bars, upscale restaurants, street food, western food, -- a real cross section of Sukhumvit area offerings!! When I or friends have stayed at Aloft, I've always enjoyed the walk.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.