Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Aloft Bangkok - Sukhumvit 11, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aloft Bangkok - Sukhumvit 11, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2012, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by seanthepilot
That being said, the Aloft room is near perfect, for the non-upgrader. I'd much rather be in the Aloft room than a non upgraded SPG or Westin room, by far.

The only downside to the Aloft for me... shower only. Sometimes a nice soak in a hot bath is nice after a long day in BKK.
Apart from the bath issue (I don't use them), the Aloft BKK rooms are a bit small for me. I tend to have longer stays and more clothes with me, so even if not upgraded, the regular rooms at full service SPG BKK properties work a bit better for me.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:27 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Whereas I like the free wifi, lots of electrical outlets (including near the bed), LARGE flat screen TV with HDMI input, large windows, sofa setup, fridge & coffee maker much more than a bigger room or closet space.

As has been said before, the Aloft is very far up the Soi from Sukhumvit Rd.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Whereas I like the free wifi, lots of electrical outlets (including near the bed), LARGE flat screen TV with HDMI input, large windows, sofa setup, fridge & coffee maker much more than a bigger room or closet space.
As Sean points out, definite plusses for Aloft on these items compared to other SPG BKK properties. I noticed them, too, when I was there.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that

As has been said before, the Aloft is very far up the Soi from Sukhumvit Rd.
Other than the free wifi I've found the Four Points to contain the rest and be located more advantageously.

There is a decent khao tom place half way up the soi on the west side though. Otherwise I don't care for Soi 11.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 8:05 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I concur. And i just noticed availability at 2000 points for dates I am interested in.

So, outright buying the points right now thanks to the current SPG buy promo is $56 USD, plus as a gold I get 250 points back as the welcome amenity (so net cost is less than $50), since the hotel has free wifi, plus stay credit... what's not to like?
Are you sure you get 250 points? I was only given 125 (or 150?). When i stayed in fourpoint. When I asked (as I got 250 on my previous stay at SGS), I was told the "lower" brand recieve lesser points
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:18 pm

I stayed here recently. The Aloft Bangkok is a solid hotel product.

Great stay, including a great bed, big TV, shower with good water pressure, and the in-room IT features (lots of electric outlets by the bed, Hi-Fi alarm clock, TV inputs by the desk) were all appreciated and made the room quite useful.

The free WiFi make it the only hotel in Bangkok where, as a gold, I can get my welcome amenity. The NEW SPG makes me choose between internet and bonus points on checkin.

Also given a pass to the local clubs, maybe useful for a younger crowd, but appreciated nonetheless.

Anyway, Aloft BKK, continues to impress me; Cheapest SPG hotel in BKK; Great Points and C&P redemption use. Attentive staff.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 4:59 am

Programs: BD *S, SQ nada
Originally Posted by lingua101
Are you sure you get 250 points? I was only given 125 (or 150?). When i stayed in fourpoint. When I asked (as I got 250 on my previous stay at SGS), I was told the "lower" brand recieve lesser points
lingua101,

For plats, 250 points over and above welcome amenity.

For golds, a choice of welcome amenity which includes the 125 points.

And this is only for Four Points, aloft and Elements.

The rate is double for "full" brands. 500 for plats, 250 for golds in St Regis, Sheraton, Westin and LM.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 5:24 am

The only complaint I have on this hotel is how they assign the categories of rooms to guests.

There are the standard rooms, facing the high rise condo next door.
There are the premium rooms, facing the other side of the building, with unobstructed city views.

Because of the no-upgrade policy of Aloft, all guests booking with points, cash and points, or at the lowest price will get assigned the condo view rooms. This is fine, as far as the room itself goes. But with the peeping Tom factor, I find that I have the drapes closed throughout my entire stay... kind of closterphobic.

I asked about a room facing the city view once and was quoted 300 or 400THB. What they don't seem to understand is that for 3 or 400 more, I would be booking at their competition (with upgrade chances, and free breakfast if I was Platinum).

I would like to encourage the hotel to make some of their city view rooms, maybe the bottom few floors, the basic category of rooms. Then maybe your return customers could have a chance at this category without asking staff to break the rules.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The only complaint I have on this hotel is how they assign the categories of rooms to guests.

There are the standard rooms, facing the high rise condo next door.
There are the premium rooms, facing the other side of the building, with unobstructed city views.

Because of the no-upgrade policy of Aloft, all guests booking with points, cash and points, or at the lowest price will get assigned the condo view rooms. This is fine, as far as the room itself goes. But with the peeping Tom factor, I find that I have the drapes closed throughout my entire stay... kind of closterphobic.

I asked about a room facing the city view once and was quoted 300 or 400THB. What they don't seem to understand is that for 3 or 400 more, I would be booking at their competition (with upgrade chances, and free breakfast if I was Platinum).

I would like to encourage the hotel to make some of their city view rooms, maybe the bottom few floors, the basic category of rooms. Then maybe your return customers could have a chance at this category without asking staff to break the rules.
For 1999 THB I have no complaints about this hotel at all. Best Value SPG in Bangkok at the moment.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 9:55 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
For 1999 THB I have no complaints about this hotel at all. Best Value SPG in Bangkok at the moment.
Best value, seriously? It's the cheapest, no doubt, but I would argue that other BKK properties are much better value (assuming that is defined as what you get for your money). IMO, paying 50% more than THB1999 and ending up in a suite at a vastly better hotel is much better value. If looking at rates alone, alofts, 4Ps, etc would represent the "best value" pretty much everywhere.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by jpdx
Best value, seriously? It's the cheapest, no doubt, but I would argue that other BKK properties are much better value (assuming that is defined as what you get for your money). IMO, paying 50% more than THB1999 and ending up in a suite at a vastly better hotel is much better value. If looking at rates alone, alofts, 4Ps, etc would represent the "best value" pretty much everywhere.
i agree....in my opinion, as a plat, the ros or four points would have the best value in bkk....
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by Keyser
i agree....in my opinion, as a plat, the ros or four points would have the best value in bkk....
A Platinum member is not the typical Aloft customer. Currently, I am gold and...

..the Aloft Bangkok shoots to the top of my list. Value, location, great room/amenities.

I never stayed at a W. I never wanted to. But the more times I stay at the Aloft Bangkok, the more I want to see and stay at more of them... and even try a W.

They're doing something right. And I want more ^
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
A Platinum member is not the typical Aloft customer. Currently, I am gold and...

..the Aloft Bangkok shoots to the top of my list. Value, location, great room/amenities.

I never stayed at a W. I never wanted to. But the more times I stay at the Aloft Bangkok, the more I want to see and stay at more of them... and even try a W.

They're doing something right. And I want more ^
maybe not but i stay at a lot of alofts & i quite like them....but as a plat member in bkk i think there are better options....my comment was from my perspective....

but i see where you are coming from....if i was not plat then i would definitely consider the aloft....
Old Sep 15, 2012, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jpdx
Perhaps this is why everyone has their own opinion?

When I want a suite I pay for it- this is the easiest way.

I disagree with paying for Internet- so here again the aLoft is a winner.

The Suk 11 location is very good- better than the out of the way ROS and LM- and basically the same as the PA,Westin,SGS. If you are working in BKK- ROS and LM are very very inconvenient.

The rooms at the aLoft are great for working (the desk setup is good) and the shower has very high water pressure and I like the breakfast which I think is fair value also (IIRC it is ~500 BHT).

The other hotel I use frequently in BKK which is Starwood is the SGS- the price difference between this and the aLoft "all in" with taxes etc is 5000 THB more a night when everything is considered. For 35000 THB a week difference- yes- I would say the aLoft is a better value. When I want luxury I just move down the road to the Four Seasons- which is still one of the best luxury hotels in Bangkok by a long shot- and has gorgeous suites.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 9:33 am

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Originally Posted by Keyser
I understand the comment about Ros being a good value, but why do you consider the 4P to be a good value?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.