Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Aloft Bangkok - Sukhumvit 11, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aloft Bangkok - Sukhumvit 11, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2011, 8:52 pm

Programs: most of them
I stayed there on Sunday night (11 Dec). Apparently they are still working on the upper floors. I was on 18 and the bellman told me that the floor had only been open about 2 days. And you could hear the construction sounds from above. So, about half of the hotel is open. The restaurant is not open yet. But there is a space on the ground floor where they are serving breakfast.

The room (Urban) was smallish but well designed. Nice big windows, so a pretty good city view. the elevator lobbies have giant windows that offer great views.

The shower has neat colorful glass tiles on the wall. But, hot water was an issue in my room. Had to let the water run for 5-10 minutes before there was any hot water at all and the pressure was not very good. Water was just warm.

There's a giant 42" TV that has a connection panel on the wall that you can connect USB devices to or a computer. There is a wired internet connection in the room in addition to the free wifi throughout the property. There are 3 Mac's on the first floor coupled to a printer. So if you haven't got your own computer you can use theirs for free.

The ground floor has a pool table and I think also another game table. And several large screen TVs tuned to different channels. Lots of funky furniture. It looked like a Virgin Clubhouse.

Check in took a little longer than expected, but I suppose it will take the staff a little time to get up to speed.

The security check that requires cars to open the trunk and look underneath with those mirror things seemed to be completely over the top and unnecessary.

There is a free tuktuk that will shuttle you to the BTS or MRT. The location right across the street from Bed Supperclub seems appropriate.

I thought the room was fine. Since it is brand new it is still nice and fresh and clean with state of the art amenities. If you get a decent discount I think it is a worthwhile place to stay. I think it compares well the the LM. In fact if I had to choose between it and the LM I would probably pick the aloft for now.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by glennaa11
I I think it compares well the the LM. In fact if I had to choose between it and the LM I would probably pick the aloft for now.
Are you platinum? Did you get any platinum benefits for staying there? That's what others are pointing out upstream, when compared to the other BKK properties that offer breakfast and cocktail hour benefits, etc.

Anyway, thanks for posting your impressions.

-David
Old Dec 14, 2011, 11:54 am

Programs: most of them
nope, not a plat or anything else. Just a visitor to the city a couple of times a year.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Are you platinum? Did you get any platinum benefits for staying there?
I'm in town anyway, so popped over for a night. PLTs get 250 points amenity, at least that is what I was told on checkin. In addition to glennaa11's comments, I add that the spring mechanism on my door did not close it all the way, -- ever. It closed just short of latching every time. I had to pull it shut so that it latched (and locked). Guests will want to be alert to this for obvious reasons.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 9:31 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I'm in town anyway, so popped over for a night. PLTs get 250 points amenity, at least that is what I was told on checkin.
Thanks for reporting Doc, but is that it for Plats?
Old Dec 14, 2011, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I'm in town anyway, so popped over for a night. PLTs get 250 points amenity, at least that is what I was told on checkin. In addition to glennaa11's comments, I add that the spring mechanism on my door did not close it all the way, -- ever. It closed just short of latching every time. I had to pull it shut so that it latched (and locked). Guests will want to be alert to this for obvious reasons.
The Platinum Amenity is 250 SPG points at ALL Alofts'.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 3:19 am

yes, that's why I decided to move my rez to the four points. The other properties all provide better benefits for platinums.

Thanks everybody for posting your trip reports. holtju2, your report prompted me to switch. thx.

So it will be SGS, Le M, and Four Points on this trip. I haven't tried Le M or the Four Points yet. I was going to try aloft also.

-David
Old Dec 15, 2011, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
The other properties all provide better benefits for platinums.
This was exactly my point. I think that it is a very good hotel for those who either don't have any status, or don't care about the status benefits.

I asked few times why they would think that a Platinum member would stay there when all the other SPG hotels in Bangkok offer far superior "package". They really couldn't come up with anything.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Had an overnight there last night. Apart from them not being able to find my reservation when I arrived, I thought it was pretty good. Certainly I felt no worse treated than some Four Points I've stayed at in terms of recognition, and the drink voucher was appreciated. Gym is pretty good and the pool area lovely, and the room was very well laid out and there were plenty of electrical sockets (all too rare, especially in the older LMs I've stayed in!).

The Four Points wasn't available when I booked, or I might have gone there - but for half the price of other SPG hotels (and a great breakfast at a local cafe just round the corner for a couple of hundred baht for two) I'm not complaining at all, Plat or no Plat.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by holtju2
This was exactly my point. I think that it is a very good hotel for those who either don't have any status, or don't care about the status benefits.

I asked few times why they would think that a Platinum member would stay there when all the other SPG hotels in Bangkok offer far superior "package". They really couldn't come up with anything.
Don't forget that us Golds exist, too.

2485 THB all-in, giving me my final night to requalify for Gold? Oh, and double points? I'm in.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 8:24 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by holtju2

You bring up valid points. We sometimes forget that not all hotels are chasing the same customers.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 7:48 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, SQ Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by Rusty65
Also, if anyone knows if it is a ticket that can be used only for 1 person or everyone in the party can get in (in my case 3 total)?

Thanks!
Each ticket's good for two people, though I asked for another one to bring in two more friends and the guy at check-in happily gave me one.

I'm currently on my second night at this property, checking out tomorrow, and have to say that I'll likely be returning to the Four Points in future. Here are some reasons:

At check-in when I asked about an upgrade (I'm Plat) the guy cheerfully told me that their policy was not to upgrade platinum members. I actually asked him to repeat it because it seemed like such a ludicrous thing to say. When I asked what platinum perks were on offer he mentioned the free internet and entrance to Bed. I pointed out that every guest gets this and he just smiled and agreed.

When I ordered room service I asked if I could use the 200B food/drink voucher I was given at check-in. The lady on the phone said yes and told me to just hand it to the person bringing my food. I did so, he accepted it, and told me the discount would be applied downstairs. Half an hour later he comes back to my room with the voucher saying that it can only be used at the bar or restaurant (no mention of this on the voucher itself). I pointed out that both he and the lady taking the order had said I could use it, and that I wouldn't have ordered room service if I had known. After a bit of back and forth he said he would sort it out, but I'll believe it when I see the bill at check-out.

I've bumped into a couple other platinums here who are equally unimpressed. The place seems to be a bit too full of itself considering it's a budget version of a W.

On the plus side, the location's pretty good, the Soi 11 area is rather lively with popular bars, street food, etc.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:03 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Welcome to FlyerTalk augustwolf! Thought-provoking review. It confirms my gut instinct not to try out this property.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by yosithezet
Welcome to FlyerTalk augustwolf! Thought-provoking review. It confirms my gut instinct not to try out this property.
+1.
I will stick to my usual LM BKK, Sheraton Grande, St. Regis and 4Pts (when on budget) routine.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 8:07 pm
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
i visited the hotel.... i like the style and the location but without any benefits i dont see any reason for staying there ( compared to the 4Points )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.