Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Courtyard Waikiki or Waikiki Marriott

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 1, 2018, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email addresses:

Marriott Waikiki: [email protected]
Courtyard Waikiki: [email protected]

Waikiki Marriott is full buffet breakfast daily for elite+1 or 1,000 points - Plat arrival gift option

Resort fee: $37+tax
--- One macadamia nut candy (comes with 2 pieces of candy)
--- Fitness classes daily
--- Cultural classes daily
--- Enhanced internet
--- 60 minutes of long distance and international calls daily
--- Blu-ray or DVD rentals
--- Press Reader newspaper and magazine downloads
--- 1 introductory scuba or snorkel lesson, one per family (this is subject to availability as the shop needs to first have a paid booking before they can offer the free lesson in the morning)
Print Wikipost

Courtyard Waikiki or Waikiki Marriott

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2018, 11:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by edgewood49
Would have to go back but damn close. Either way services have gone downward ever since. Especially losing the lobby bar.
The lack of a lobby bar is bizarre, but I suppose they figure the bar by the pool is better as it has sunset views. However, the wine offered at the pool bar (Moana Terrace, I think it's called) is pretty cheap stuff. I'm also guessing the hotel decided it would rather rent spaces to ABC, Starbucks, and the street level food/beverage outlets than run its own restaurants, gift shops, coffeehouses, or bars.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 11:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Hey at 70 one's memory slides a bit ! Thanks for the article the big shame was the Ilikai Hotel it was once a great property as well. Then converted to condo hotel by a Japanese group. Self financed in yen !

Anyway time moves on
Wasn't the Ilikai originally a Westin? My father was the restaurant manager for a summer in the 1970s. The restaurant, which I ate at a couple of years ago, sadly closed within the last year. It has amazing views of Honolulu, but so-so food for the prices charged.

The Ilikai would be a great Tribute Portfolio or Autograph Collection property.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 11:58 pm
Suspended

That about sums it up. Now you have the owners of the Mona looking to add onto the existing property with a high value tower the Sheraton Princess who they also own is slated for major renovations with a rumored additional tower! Don't forget condo hotels. I foresee one or more converting. Just saying
I don't know where the Moana Surfrider could expand. It is already over-capacity. It really should be split into two hotels: the old heritage sections being one hotel and the old Surfrider tower being its own hotel once again.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 11:42 am

Programs: AA PLT / MR LTPP 1/1/19 / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
As I pointed out on another thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29981883-post140.html).

Management has waived daily resort fee on both of my last stays, including one that ended today. My colleagues also had them waived after we pointed out that the substantive things it included were supposed to be complimentary by virtue of our elite status (wireless internet access and telephone calls). Hotel also waives the $99 extended 6 p.m. checkout for platinum premiers.
Do you know if the waived resort fee is due to being PP or would being Platinum suffice. Since Sheraton Waikiki no longer waives the resort fee for Platinums, I'm looking for an alternative hotel to stay at.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by araknis
Do you know if the waived resort fee is due to being PP or would being Platinum suffice. Since Sheraton Waikiki no longer waives the resort fee for Platinums, I'm looking for an alternative hotel to stay at.
As a Platinum who's stayed at that property as a returning guest not once have I been offered a waiver of the resort fee even after citing that many of the benefits are already included as a Platinum and I had no interest in borrowing DVDs or attending lei making lessons.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 9:46 pm
Suspended

Marriott Waikiki Beach:

At check-in my platinum premier status was recognized specifically and I was upgraded to an oceanfront "junior suite" with a somewhat cramped balcony (lanai) facing Waikiki Beach. I preferred the Diamond Head view in the 2-room, 1 1/2-bathroom suite that I had last week, although it had a lot of wasted space and the dining table and wet bar didn't make much sense. I'm guessing at one point it had a full kitchenette.

The junior suites, which seem to be rooms ending in 32 and 33, have a separate bathtub and shower as well as double sinks, unlike the 2-room suite with its single sink and no separate bathtub and shower.

The resort fee was also waived, again.

I've only had suites at the Marriott, but I would put the rooms I've had at this property over the Westin Moana Surfrider. This is particularly true for the TV. Everything at the Marriott, again at least in the suites, is better maintained and feels fresher than the Westin.

The only advantages of the Moana Surfrider are its beach access, somewhat more private balconies (at least for oceanfront rooms) and Japanese-style Toto toilets. Food-and-beverage is equally disappointing at both properties, especially for the price. If I had to I'd give the Westin 4 stars because it feels more like a resort and the services are a little better (complimentary newspaper, resort photographer, turndown service).

The Marriott is fine, but is basically just a 3 1/2-star city hotel pretending to be a resort. On the other hand, the Westin feels overrun and like a zoo. I think the Marriott has about the same number of rooms, but it is more put together and isn't over capacity.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Jul 21, 2018 at 9:55 pm
Old Jul 23, 2018, 8:13 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
I don't know where the Moana Surfrider could expand. It is already over-capacity. It really should be split into two hotels: the old heritage sections being one hotel and the old Surfrider tower being its own hotel once again.

I read in a trade mag that the owners are planning another tower there and one across the street at the Sheraton Princess
Old Jul 23, 2018, 9:40 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
A news article in 2010 discussed plans to replace the Moana Surfrider's 10-story Diamond Wing (the rather ugly structure from 1952 adjacent to the Historic Banyan Wing) with a new 26-story tower.

See Moana Surfrider redevelopment proposal stirs up controversy - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Of course, the 26-story tower never happened. But it makes sense that the site of the Diamond Wing could be used more intensively, and thus more profitably.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 12:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Horace
A news article in 2010 discussed plans to replace the Moana Surfrider's 10-story Diamond Wing (the rather ugly structure from 1952 adjacent to the Historic Banyan Wing) with a new 26-story tower.

See Moana Surfrider redevelopment proposal stirs up controversy - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Of course, the 26-story tower never happened. But it makes sense that the site of the Diamond Wing could be used more intensively, and thus more profitably.
The Westin is a weird hotel because it's basically three hotels crammed into a tiny lot. There simply isn't enough space in the common areas to accomodate all of the guests.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 12:27 am
Suspended

I checked out of the Marriott Waikiki Beach today. After staying here four times in two months I discovered I was entitled to a 25% discount off all food and non-alcoholic beverages. I raised hell with the manager today because I've given them hundreds in food-and-beverage revenue but never received the discount. Apparently, you need to show your room key that says "elite" to get the 25% discount. The general manager is supposed to contact me tomorrow to let me know what they will offer.

I still like this hotel over the Westin, if only because there is more space enough and it doesn't few nearly as overrun. But the food-and-beverage is horrible here. I've given up eating the buffet breakfast because the quality is so cheap. I can get as good or a better breakfast at Starbucks.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 9:07 am

I checked out of the Marriott Waikiki Beach today. After staying here four times in two months I discovered I was entitled to a 25% discount off all food and non-alcoholic beverages. I raised hell with the manager today because I've given them hundreds in food-and-beverage revenue but never received the discount. Apparently, you need to show your room key that says "elite" to get the 25% discount. The general manager is supposed to contact me tomorrow to let me know what they will offer.

I still like this hotel over the Westin, if only because there is more space enough and it doesn't few nearly as overrun. But the food-and-beverage is horrible here. I've given up eating the buffet breakfast because the quality is so cheap. I can get as good or a better breakfast at Starbucks.
And that point is beyond belief as a Marriott but your correct the F&B has gone down down hill for years and one would think this being a high profile Marriott they would do something about it. Hell even the "Marriott Burger" is horrible here.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
I've given up eating the buffet breakfast because the quality is so cheap. I can get as good or a better breakfast at Starbucks.
Back when they only gave us one breakfast coupon per day (although my last stay there I received two per day) Mrs. Majuki and I would consolidate such that we'd use all of the breakfast buffet coupons at the front end of the stay. We'd then do what you do and head down to the Starbucks (or before when it was a Seattle's Best) or down the street to Eggs 'n Things if we wanted something more substantial.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 12:26 pm
Suspended

And that point is beyond belief as a Marriott but your correct the F&B has gone down down hill for years and one would think this being a high profile Marriott they would do something about it. Hell even the "Marriott Burger" is horrible here.
What point? The discount part?

The quality of the food at the Westin isn't much better. I don't expect a Michelin-starred restaurant at a hotel, but I do expect a decent caesar salad with shaved parmesan cheese, not powdered or finely grated parmesan cheese. I also expect a hotel's breakfast buffet, especially one that sells for more than $30, to have fresh fruit and fresh berries.

The hotel has to lose a significant source of potential revenue by not even having a lobby bar, let alone decent wine on the menu at the poolside bar overlooking Waikiki Beach itself.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 12:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Majuki
Back when they only gave us one breakfast coupon per day (although my last stay there I received two per day) Mrs. Majuki and I would consolidate such that we'd use all of the breakfast buffet coupons at the front end of the stay. We'd then do what you do and head down to the Starbucks (or before when it was a Seattle's Best) or down the street to Eggs 'n Things if we wanted something more substantial.
They still give one out.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 1:40 pm

They still give one out.
Have anyone seen the line at "Eggs and Things" lately right I am going to stand inline for that. At least at the HHV you can walk across the street to the "Coffee Shop" say what you want I have been eating breakfast there for 30 years and it's still the same

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.