Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Courtyard Waikiki or Waikiki Marriott

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 1, 2018, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email addresses:

Marriott Waikiki: [email protected]
Courtyard Waikiki: [email protected]

Waikiki Marriott is full buffet breakfast daily for elite+1 or 1,000 points - Plat arrival gift option

Resort fee: $37+tax
--- One macadamia nut candy (comes with 2 pieces of candy)
--- Fitness classes daily
--- Cultural classes daily
--- Enhanced internet
--- 60 minutes of long distance and international calls daily
--- Blu-ray or DVD rentals
--- Press Reader newspaper and magazine downloads
--- 1 introductory scuba or snorkel lesson, one per family (this is subject to availability as the shop needs to first have a paid booking before they can offer the free lesson in the morning)
Print Wikipost

Courtyard Waikiki or Waikiki Marriott

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2016, 7:14 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
I used the 'app' to send my displeasure with the room and lack of chair. They didn't respond for 24 hours.

If they are remodeling the Kuhio grill, it appears to be taking a while and it makes me wonder how bad the presentation of the food is there?

The Mai tai 'punch' that is included in the resort fee was disgusting. I'll bet my cars antifreeze has better taste than that chemical Mai Tai mix the bar serves.

Trust me, I would have booked my usual Sheraton Waikiki or Westin Moana Surfrider if they were available. Never again with these boring, low-quality Marriots.
Something is wrong here, not that I doubt you especially when it comes to hotels in the "islands" !I agree with the Mai Tai it's all sugar, but there are a lot of people left that have never been to the islands. Would write a letter to Marriott, but then remember within the coming year the "merger" !!
Old Jun 13, 2016, 11:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Wasn't sure where to put this. Ritz Carlton Residences opening in July '16. 2-night stay minimum & does not participate in the Ritz Carlton Rewards program, so doubt many FTers will be staying there (or the ones that do are probably the type that stay at hotels found in the Luxury hotel forum).

Cheers.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Wasn't sure where to put this. Ritz Carlton Residences opening in July '16. 2-night stay minimum & does not participate in the Ritz Carlton Rewards program, so doubt many FTers will be staying there (or the ones that do are probably the type that stay at hotels found in the Luxury hotel forum).

Cheers.
That's odd, makes me want to believe it's independent as well as management.

Not keen on the location either. If your going to pay that much for Hawaii why not be on or direct across from the beach.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by edgewood49
That's odd, makes me want to believe it's independent as well as management.

Not keen on the location either. If your going to pay that much for Hawaii why not be on or direct across from the beach.
some of the RC units look amazing, also kitchens etc

'99%' of chain hotels are franchises, and do rewards
(even accor partner hotels, which are not franchise, do rewards)

re RC/bvlgari (marriott) >

RC waikiki is residences only, just like RC aspen (club/fractionals) - no rewards
RC reserve - no rewards
RC singapore - no rewards (this is the exception)
bvlgari - no rewards, JV with bvlgari, managed by RC

RC montreal and chicago are the only RC franchise (because of age of hotels)
RC montreal now does rewards, as does RC chicago
bvlgari london is the only bvlgari franchise (because of ritz london? like ritz paris)

re RC residences >

curious how reward earning works when booking condohotel units that are owned
unit owner gets a cut of the revenue from RC (or other chains with rewards)
does RC simply treat the rewards as part of their costs (which are subtracted)
might make sense for residences-only properties to not have rewards
or, perhaps if RC waikiki turns over to 'HOA' - owners might decide to add rewards

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 15, 2016 at 1:52 pm
Old Dec 25, 2016, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
A data point about the Courtyard Waikiki: Rooms have been updated, but it's hard to update small. My "upgraded" room again has the world's smallest shower, with a shower head set at about five feet, ten inches. Great if you're tiny; not so much if you're 6-4.

Less than $200/night though, and so it's a good value play vs. the Marriott Waikiki.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
A data point about the Courtyard Waikiki: Rooms have been updated, but it's hard to update small. My "upgraded" room again has the world's smallest shower, with a shower head set at about five feet, ten inches. Great if you're tiny; not so much if you're 6-4.

Less than $200/night though, and so it's a good value play vs. the Marriott Waikiki.
I suppose if your on a budget this would be durable as long as you know what to expect. If your going on points ok, but paying I might seriously look at alternative such as a condo. Sorry I have stayed here and disliked it all three times. For business when everything else was booked and or in for one night did not make sense going through all the checkin at a resort for business two days one night, boy was I wrong.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
I might seriously look at alternative such as a condo. Sorry I have stayed here and disliked it all three times.
The Courtyard is a bad rebrand, and it sounds like the 'upgrades' didn't do much, if anything, to improve the experience. I would say it is a more value conscious choice than the Marriott due to lack of resort fee. The one time I stayed there the parking charge was also included in the room rate, which wasn't bad. Since the Marriott doesn't give elites a breakfast due to its 'resort' status, it's a wash on that benefit between the Courtyard and full service Marriott.

I will be staying at the full service Marriott in two weeks on points, but even then the resort fee is still levied on award stays. I heard it used to be waived.

I imagine this thread will become more of a moot point as time goes on with the SPG merger since I personally think that the Moana Surfrider, the Sheraton Waikiki, or even the Royal Hawaiian (if you want to splurge) have a better offer for Waikiki.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by Majuki
The Courtyard is a bad rebrand, and it sounds like the 'upgrades' didn't do much, if anything, to improve the experience. I would say it is a more value conscious choice than the Marriott due to lack of resort fee. The one time I stayed there the parking charge was also included in the room rate, which wasn't bad. Since the Marriott doesn't give elites a breakfast due to its 'resort' status, it's a wash on that benefit between the Courtyard and full service Marriott.

I will be staying at the full service Marriott in two weeks on points, but even then the resort fee is still levied on award stays. I heard it used to be waived.

I imagine this thread will become more of a moot point as time goes on with the SPG merger since I personally think that the Moana Surfrider, the Sheraton Waikiki, or even the Royal Hawaiian (if you want to splurge) have a better offer for Waikiki.
Agreed someone should be shot for allowing that conversion from a rundown apartment to a CY.

Also I agree with you on the merger that's exciting about the hotels "across the street"
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:56 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hyatt Mid-Tier, Marriott PP/Lifetime Platinum
Agreed someone should be shot for allowing that conversion from a rundown apartment to a CY.
I couldn't agree more! We just got back from Waikiki and this property was a HUGE disappointment. I can't stress that enough.

Rooms, as many have said, are tiny, and the stand up shower is ridiculously tight.

What irked me the most is that they went through the trouble of updating the inside, but left the easily 50 year-old sliding doors unchanged.
Noise in our 14th floor room was horrible (we faced Kuhio Avenue) because the doors were poorly insulated/weatherstripped.

I finally used points to book our last two nights at the new Hyatt Centric in Waikiki, and I'm glad I did. This property is fantastic. It was nice to finish our vacation on a high note!
Old Dec 28, 2016, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by milesmutt
I couldn't agree more! We just got back from Waikiki and this property was a HUGE disappointment. I can't stress that enough.

Rooms, as many have said, are tiny, and the stand up shower is ridiculously tight.

What irked me the most is that they went through the trouble of updating the inside, but left the easily 50 year-old sliding doors unchanged.
Noise in our 14th floor room was horrible (we faced Kuhio Avenue) because the doors were poorly insulated/weatherstripped.

I finally used points to book our last two nights at the new Hyatt Centric in Waikiki, and I'm glad I did. This property is fantastic. It was nice to finish our vacation on a high note!
Sorry to hear but glad to hear about the new Centric I have been wondering. That's a reflag as well
Old Jan 15, 2017, 11:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
New option (Autograph Collection) in March 2017. Has exec lounge.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...u-waikiki.html

Cheers.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Quick update based on my stay at the Waikiki Marriott last week.

My corporate rate used to be at the government rate with the resort fee waived. Now, the rate is the same, but the resort fee is charged. The rate also includes breakfast now, which I do not believe is included in the normal resort fee, but this is still an unwelcome change. I am not sure if other corporate agreements are similarly affected.

I was also annoyed to learn that paper newspapers (e.g., USA Today and WSJ) are no longer provided by the property, despite "newspapers" being one of the alleged benefits of the resort fee. Instead, there is a cell phone app that lets you access newspapers. I did not learn anything more about this, b/c I wasn't interested in the hassle. I do miss the paper newspapers, which is still my preferred way to consume (most) news.

Last edited by ikwia; Mar 11, 2017 at 3:51 pm
Old Mar 11, 2017, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by scottmlew
Quick update based on my stay at the Waikiki Marriott last week.

My corporate rate used to be at the government rate with the resort fee waived. Now, the rate is the same, but the resort fee is charged. The rate also includes breakfast now, which I do not believe is included in the normal resort fee, but this is still an unwelcome change. I am not sure if other corporate agreements are similarly affected.

I was also annoyed to learn that paper newspapers (e.g., USA Today and WSJ) are no longer provided by the property, despite "newspapers" being one of the alleged benefits of the resort fee. Instead, there is a cell phone app that lets you access newspapers. I did not learn anything more about this, b/c I wasn't interested in the hassle. I do miss the paper newspapers, which is still my preferred way to consume (most) news.
sadly this is becoming consistent with all the major hotels in the Islands squeezing every penny out of us. I would strongly complain to Marriott Corporate
Old Mar 11, 2017, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by scottmlew
Interesting...Hilton(s), especially the HGIs, went thru this a couple of years ago, though the real papers were still available, albeit in much more limited quantities. I, too, never bothered w/using the app as I prefer a real paper.

This has now been discontinued @ the Hilton properties & apparently has migrated to Marriott(?) though I did not see any evidence of it in my Fairfield Inn stay 2 weeks ago.

As always, make your feelings known about this & perhaps it will, eventually, go away.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
One of the real reasons we see in the hospitality industry today is the affect of the Equity Capitol people out there. They run their programs, tend to over pay for property then milk it hard. I can not tell you how many times and what I have seen in the past five years. I see them slap together a remodel only to have it fail within five years doubling up what they really need to save. It's like buying one of those "flipping houses" you see on TV, it's all contrived.
The Japanese owners of the Starwood Waikiki Properties (Moana Surfrider, Sheraton Waikiki and The Royal Hawaiian) don't seem to take that approach; while they have older buildings, they maintain them and continue to innovate with services and quality food & beverage outlets. Marriott International would do very well to learn from them. Then again they are sitting on some of the most amazing real estate in Waikiki and possibly cater to a bit more sophisticated/affluent customer base than the Courtyard and Marriott Waikiki.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.