Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Courtyard Waikiki or Waikiki Marriott

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 1, 2018, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email addresses:

Marriott Waikiki: [email protected]
Courtyard Waikiki: [email protected]

Waikiki Marriott is full buffet breakfast daily for elite+1 or 1,000 points - Plat arrival gift option

Resort fee: $37+tax
--- One macadamia nut candy (comes with 2 pieces of candy)
--- Fitness classes daily
--- Cultural classes daily
--- Enhanced internet
--- 60 minutes of long distance and international calls daily
--- Blu-ray or DVD rentals
--- Press Reader newspaper and magazine downloads
--- 1 introductory scuba or snorkel lesson, one per family (this is subject to availability as the shop needs to first have a paid booking before they can offer the free lesson in the morning)
Print Wikipost

Courtyard Waikiki or Waikiki Marriott

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2018, 3:24 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by sggolf
Thanks for your note. Laylow is a Category 8.
At CAT 8 highly overrated and a rip off in the first degree
Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
These days, between the Courtyard Waikiki and the Waikiki Marriott, my choice is...the Hilton Waikiki Beach.
DELee likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 4:31 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by sggolf
Thanks for your note. Laylow is a Category 8.
Sorry. I thought the Laylow, Autograph Collection was category 7 like the Courtyard. I made a mistake. The Marriott Waikiki and the Laylow are both the same category.

You can't get the extra points through the credit card bonus?
Old Jun 5, 2018, 4:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
These days, between the Courtyard Waikiki and the Waikiki Marriott, my choice is...the Hilton Waikiki Beach.
I stayed at the Marriott Waikiki last month. I honestly didn't know what to expect because some of the reviews were horrible.

Overall, except for the resort fee (which they waived) and the not being on the beach, it was fine. I would return. The bed was comfortable. The TV new. The room was super-clean. Housekeeping did a great job. Yeah, a Japanese toilet would be fine. I suppose my biggest complaint was the food-and-beverage. The breakfast and dinner buffet restaurant, which is also the kitchen for the pool bar and restaurant, was kind of meh. I ordered two salads that were horrible. The salads ABC sells are 10 times better. And it was kind of weird that there wasn't a lobby bar. But there are plenty of bars and restaurants within 15 minutes by foot, let alone the ABC stores on every corner.

Full renovations start later this year. I would imagine, given the number of the rooms, that will take a year or two.

I would probably still choose the Westin Moana Surfrider or The Royal Hawaiian, Luxury Collection because of direct beach access, but the paid rates at the Marriott Waikiki are actually pretty good -- or, at least, they have been when I've checked. If I was going again for business and didn't care about being on the beach (or didn't have the time to be on the beach) I would stay at the Marriott again.

The Laylow, Autograph Collection has the best food of the Marriott, Westin Moana Surfrider and The Royal Hawaiian. Both breakfast and dinner, the latter of which is also the lunch menu. It's just too bad the hotel wasn't disingenuous with elites.

If I really wanted a value within the Marriott family, I would stay at the Courtyard by Marriott Oahu North Shore (by the Brigham Young University–Hawaii campus). Yes, it doesn't sell alcohol because of local prohibition, but the paid rates here are pretty good, there's no resort fee and you're so close to some of the best parts of Hawaii. Between no resort fee and complimentary parking, you're probably saving $75 a night here. Of course, it only makes sense if you're going to rent a car.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Jun 5, 2018 at 4:46 am
Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I stayed at the Marriott Waikiki last month. I honestly didn't know what to expect because some of the reviews were horrible.

Overall, except for the resort fee (which they waived) and the not being on the beach, it was fine. I would return. The bed was comfortable. The TV new. The room was super-clean. Housekeeping did a great job. Yeah, a Japanese toilet would be fine. I suppose my biggest complaint was the food-and-beverage. The breakfast and dinner buffet restaurant, which is also the kitchen for the pool bar and restaurant, was kind of meh. I ordered two salads that were horrible. The salads ABC sells are 10 times better. And it was kind of weird that there wasn't a lobby bar. But there are plenty of bars and restaurants within 15 minutes by foot, let alone the ABC stores on every corner.

Full renovations start later this year. I would imagine, given the number of the rooms, that will take a year or two.

I would probably still choose the Westin Moana Surfrider or The Royal Hawaiian, Luxury Collection because of direct beach access, but the paid rates at the Marriott Waikiki are actually pretty good -- or, at least, they have been when I've checked. If I was going again for business and didn't care about being on the beach (or didn't have the time to be on the beach) I would stay at the Marriott again.

The Laylow, Autograph Collection has the best food of the Marriott, Westin Moana Surfrider and The Royal Hawaiian. Both breakfast and dinner, the latter of which is also the lunch menu. It's just too bad the hotel wasn't disingenuous with elites.

If I really wanted a value within the Marriott family, I would stay at the Courtyard by Marriott Oahu North Shore (by the Brigham Young University–Hawaii campus). Yes, it doesn't sell alcohol because of local prohibition, but the paid rates here are pretty good, there's no resort fee and you're so close to some of the best parts of Hawaii. Between no resort fee and complimentary parking, you're probably saving $75 a night here. Of course, it only makes sense if you're going to rent a car.

good report. Happy tp hear their going to stop with the lipstick and doing a full renovation. F&B has always been flat here. When Marriott first reflagged this property there was a nice lobby bar long gone now. If your using points The Mona is a bad conversion. Sheraton is also going through a refresh as well
Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by edgewood49
good report. Happy tp hear their going to stop with the lipstick and doing a full renovation. F&B has always been flat here. When Marriott first reflagged this property there was a nice lobby bar long gone now. If your using points The Mona is a bad conversion. Sheraton is also going through a refresh as well
The weak food-and-beverage is the biggest downside for such a huge property. Even the one breakfast restaurant is kind of inadequate given the number of guest rooms at the hotel. I shudder to thank what it's like at full capacity. A good lobby bar, even if it was just a bar cart in the lobby at happy hour, would be nice. I like how the Moana Westin Surfrider has started to use its beach-facing porch as a wine bar at night. It was basically a wasted space the first couple times I stayed there.

I could be wrong, but I don't think any of the Oahu properties are a good use of points, if only because Hawaii's hotels are inflated in terms of award-redemption category.

If you're going to a beach on points, you can get a much better experience elsewhere. Especially when you consider some of the hotels aren't actually on the beach.

For cash rates, especially if your dates are flexible, there are good rates at a variety of properties. As an example, I've seen government rates at the Moana Westin under $200.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 8:24 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Overall, except for the resort fee (which they waived) and the not being on the beach, it was fine.
How did you get the full service Marriott to waive the resort fee?
Old Jun 5, 2018, 8:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Majuki
How did you get the full service Marriott to waive the resort fee?
See this post: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29721476-post108.html

resort fee includes one breakfast voucher for the buffet, but otherwise the resort fee is absurd because it doesn't really include anything that a Marriott elite doesn't already get for free. It doesn't even include beach towels to take across the street. The welcome amenity that is included was never delivered. I complained about having to pay a resort fee for internet access and telephone calls when as a Marriott elite I get those for free. Management waived my resort fee and let me keep the breakfast. The general manager said he is also looking at waiving it for all platinum or higher elites moving forward because apparently I'm not the only one who has complained.
Kree likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Thanks. I inquired during stays in January 2017 and December 2017, citing the same reasons, and both times the response to my inquiry was a firm no about waiving the resort fee. Perhaps it's because you're a Platinum Premier? It's sad that on my "free" award stay of 5 nights in early 2017 I still walked away with a bill that was close to $400 just for the resort fee, parking, and taxes.

I wonder how they'll tap dance around the resort fee and breakfast come August as I believe all properties, including resorts, will have to offer breakfast as part of the elite benefits. Properties such as this have thus far weaseled their way out of breakfast by calling themselves resorts, so essentially you're paying the resort fee for one breakfast. I want to say valet parking used to be included in the resort fee 5 years ago or so, but that's charged separately now as well.

In the past, this has given me the incentive to stay at the Courtyard. Even though the Courtyard is a poorly done reflag, there was no resort fee. Furthermore, at least one time I stayed at the Courtyard the rate included valet parking.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 11:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Majuki
Thanks. I inquired during stays in January 2017 and December 2017, citing the same reasons, and both times the response to my inquiry was a firm no about waiving the resort fee. Perhaps it's because you're a Platinum Premier? It's sad that on my "free" award stay of 5 nights in early 2017 I still walked away with a bill that was close to $400 just for the resort fee, parking, and taxes.

I wonder how they'll tap dance around the resort fee and breakfast come August as I believe all properties, including resorts, will have to offer breakfast as part of the elite benefits. Properties such as this have thus far weaseled their way out of breakfast by calling themselves resorts, so essentially you're paying the resort fee for one breakfast. I want to say valet parking used to be included in the resort fee 5 years ago or so, but that's charged separately now as well.

In the past, this has given me the incentive to stay at the Courtyard. Even though the Courtyard is a poorly done reflag, there was no resort fee. Furthermore, at least one time I stayed at the Courtyard the rate included valet parking.
I think you just need to complain to the right people. I was prepared to go to corporate Marriott if the general manager didn't resolve it for me.

I've also done business at the different Waikiki hotels, both legacy Marriott and legacy SPG, so I knew what I was talking about. I've also done an event at the Marriott Waikiki so they knew me. My complaint centered on being charged a resort fee for, among other things, internet access and telephone calls when those two specific things are supposed to be complimentary per Marriott's terms and conditions (even at resort-designated properties). This property also doesn't have an enhanced internet option.

If you're using points and have a rental car you should just book the Courtyard on the North Shore by BYU's campus.

As for the new breakfast benefit, I'd take a voucher for a cappuccino and yogurt parfait at the lobby Starbucks, as it is as good as what was offered in the hotel's breakfast buffet restaurant when I stayed. For the price of the Marriott Waikiki's buffet, you can get a better breakfast for the same price or less off-the-menu at the Moana Westin Surfrider's beachfront veranda restaurant.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 11:13 am

I think you just need to complain to the right people. I was prepared to go to corporate Marriott if the general manager didn't resolve it for me.

I've also done business at the different Waikiki hotels, both legacy Marriott and legacy SPG, so I knew what I was talking about. I've also done an event at the Marriott Waikiki so they knew me. My complaint centered on being charged a resort fee for, among other things, internet access and telephone calls when those two specific things are supposed to be complimentary per Marriott's terms and conditions (even at resort-designated properties). This property also doesn't have an enhanced internet option.

If you're using points and have a rental car you should just book the Courtyard on the North Shore by BYU's campus.

As for the new breakfast benefit, I'd take a voucher for a cappuccino and yogurt parfait at the lobby Starbucks, as it is as good as what was offered in the hotel's breakfast buffet restaurant when I stayed. For the price of the Marriott Waikiki's buffet, you can get a better breakfast for the same price or less off-the-menu at the Moana Westin Surfrider's beachfront veranda restaurant.

Or walk down the street to Duke's always a great place for one breakfast food is marginal local fantastic
Old Jun 12, 2018, 5:09 am

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
I have 2 Travel Packages (Cat 1-5) which I can upgrade if necessary. We are looking at staying at Honolulu with wife and 2 small kids in April next year. We have never been to Hawaii before.

When I was looking at the Marriott Waikiki, it say that the point requirement for 7 night is 240K points, then I need to pay Resort Fee and local taxes separately. Is this still the case for Travel Package certificates? Is there anyway to avoid the fee?

Also with Starwood properties being available in August, should I look at Starwood properties instead of Marriott ones to stay? With small kids I prefer to have something close to beach and great kids facilities.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 7:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kamchatsky
I have 2 Travel Packages (Cat 1-5) which I can upgrade if necessary. We are looking at staying at Honolulu with wife and 2 small kids in April next year. We have never been to Hawaii before.

When I was looking at the Marriott Waikiki, it say that the point requirement for 7 night is 240K points, then I need to pay Resort Fee and local taxes separately. Is this still the case for Travel Package certificates? Is there anyway to avoid the fee?

Also with Starwood properties being available in August, should I look at Starwood properties instead of Marriott ones to stay? With small kids I prefer to have something close to beach and great kids facilities.
Do you need to be in Waikiki?
Old Jun 12, 2018, 11:14 pm

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Do you need to be in Waikiki?
Well we have never been to Hawaii before so it seems Waikiki is an obvious choice. I am also looking at Marriott Maui Wailea but we are looking at visiting 2 island at least.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 5:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kamchatsky
Well we have never been to Hawaii before so it seems Waikiki is an obvious choice. I am also looking at Marriott Maui Wailea but we are looking at visiting 2 island at least.
The reason I asked was while Waikiki is fun, it is basically the Las Vegas strip on a public beach. Do you really want to go to Hawaii and eat at California Pizza Kitchen, Cheesecake Factory and the like? Unless you have the budget or know where to go, that's basically your culinary experience in Waikiki. Plus, Waikiki can be expensive and inconvenient if you have a rental car. Instead, I would recommend your family stay at the Courtyard on the North Shore of Oahu, by the B.Y.U. campus. Yes, it's not in Waikiki, but it's in a much nicer part of Oahu, is a short drive from amazing beaches and is still within driving distance (maybe 45 minutes, depending on traffic) of Pearl Harbor, Waikiki, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.