Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Courtyard Waikiki or Waikiki Marriott

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 1, 2018, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email addresses:

Marriott Waikiki: [email protected]
Courtyard Waikiki: [email protected]

Waikiki Marriott is full buffet breakfast daily for elite+1 or 1,000 points - Plat arrival gift option

Resort fee: $37+tax
--- One macadamia nut candy (comes with 2 pieces of candy)
--- Fitness classes daily
--- Cultural classes daily
--- Enhanced internet
--- 60 minutes of long distance and international calls daily
--- Blu-ray or DVD rentals
--- Press Reader newspaper and magazine downloads
--- 1 introductory scuba or snorkel lesson, one per family (this is subject to availability as the shop needs to first have a paid booking before they can offer the free lesson in the morning)
Print Wikipost

Courtyard Waikiki or Waikiki Marriott

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by edgewood49
It appears to be a lame effort by the hotel to justify the resort fee and most of it is clearly directed to tourist and more in particular first timers who else would fall for that crap?
I don't have any numbers to back it up, but I'm imagining the hotel might have a number of people staying there who booked as part of vacation packages (travel agents, cruises, group tours, etc) where the breakfast is included and the room rate might exempt the resort fee. The people who feel the squeeze are those who are booking direct either to do a points redemption (which is not resort fee exempt) or cash booking for benefits (which historically elites didn't get / had covered by the resort fee).
Old Sep 1, 2018, 3:03 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by Majuki
I don't have any numbers to back it up, but I'm imagining the hotel might have a number of people staying there who booked as part of vacation packages (travel agents, cruises, group tours, etc) where the breakfast is included and the room rate might exempt the resort fee. The people who feel the squeeze are those who are booking direct either to do a points redemption (which is not resort fee exempt) or cash booking for benefits (which historically elites didn't get / had covered by the resort fee).
Your assumption is correct on the package/Cruise/tours but then many properties do that in their course of business I don't have a problem with that. What I have taken issue to is the "content" of their resort fees. Their assuming that a guest wants to do those particular activities, frankly out of 100 guests maybe 20% at the high end. What are you going to teach someone about diving in one lesson and that lesson is more than likely a half hour. I am there end of year on points and will certainly challenge the fee, in a nice way but firmly.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 10:11 pm

Your assumption is correct on the package/Cruise/tours but then many properties do that in their course of business I don't have a problem with that.
My point here was that there are many people I have seen consuming the breakfast buffet who I assume aren't paying full freight for the breakfast. The options are decent, but they're not worth the price of admission. So, I have to assume that these people are staying as part of a package where the resort fee isn't charged and breakfast is included. If that is the case, I don't believe these people are eligible for points accrual or other elite status benefits for their stay.

Therefore, the people most adversely affected by the resort fee are elites who book direct to get their elite benefits, points, and nights or at the very least those who've had some attachment to the Marriott brand through stays or an affinity credit card to earn enough points to redeem an award stay.

I am there end of year on points and will certainly challenge the fee, in a nice way but firmly.
Please report back with a data point. I hope you are successful at getting the fee waived. ^ If it's possible, try to find the quote from hockeyinsider where the hotel is obligated to provide alternative benefits if elite benefits are included as amenities that the resort fee provides.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 10:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Majuki
The options are decent, but they're not worth the price of admission.
Honestly, I find the yogurt parfait at the Starbucks coffeehouse in the lobby to be better than the yogurt offered at the buffet. The buffet isn't that great. No granola, no berries, no fresh-squeezed orange juice or smoothies, no Greek yogurt. Most days I stay at the hotel I eat somewhere else. In general, I find the hotel's in-house food and beverage its weakest part. Yes, there are third-party restaurant outlets in the hotel but why the hotel itself doesn't have a proper bar or a better poolside restaurant is beyond me.

Please report back with a data point. I hope you are successful at getting the fee waived. ^ If it's possible, try to find the quote from hockeyinsider where the hotel is obligated to provide alternative benefits if elite benefits are included as amenities that the resort fee provides.
I searched the new terms and conditions. They must have modified the terms after the version that leaked out was widely republished by the travel bloggers because that version had a specific provision requiring a property charging a resort fee for amenities and benefits that are otherwise complimentary to offer an alternative amenity or benefit. The provision is no longer in the terms.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Sep 2, 2018 at 12:12 pm
Old Sep 2, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: AA PLT / MR LTPP 1/1/19 / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by araknis
Interesting comment about the resort fee. I'm there for leisure and will try to get the fee waived later this week.
Just checked in and got shut down after being semi-aggressive about getting the fee waived. The agent mentioned that PLT benefits and Resort fee include completely different items and are separate. She was very passionate about explaining the inclusions in the resort fee (management would be proud of her). I was upgraded to a Jr. Suite so it eases the pain of fee.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 11:08 am

Just checked in and got shut down after being semi-aggressive about getting the fee waived.
Thanks for the data point, araknis. I wouldn't say that the upgrade offsets the fee. This further reinforces my decision to stay at the Hilton next door in December.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 12:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Just checked in and got shut down after being semi-aggressive about getting the fee waived. The agent mentioned that PLT benefits and Resort fee include completely different items and are separate. She was very passionate about explaining the inclusions in the resort fee (management would be proud of her). I was upgraded to a Jr. Suite so it eases the pain of fee.
You should ask for the manager. If necessary, escalate to the general manager: Christopher Tatum <[email protected]>. Of course, you are on vacation not business so it is difficult to probably get the resort fee waived but they should waive at least part of it since it includes things (internet, telephone calls) you are supposed to receive by virtue of your elite status.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Honestly, I find the yogurt parfait at the Starbucks coffeehouse in the lobby to be better than the yogurt offered at the buffet. The buffet isn't that great. No granola, no berries, no fresh-squeezed orange juice or smoothies, no Greek yogurt. Most days I stay at the hotel I eat somewhere else. In general, I find the hotel's in-house food and beverage its weakest part. Yes, there are third-party restaurant outlets in the hotel but why the hotel itself doesn't have a proper bar or a better poolside restaurant is beyond me.

I searched the new terms and conditions. They must have modified the terms after the version that leaked out was widely republished by the travel bloggers because that version had a specific provision requiring a property charging a resort fee for amenities and benefits that are otherwise complimentary to offer an alternative amenity or benefit. The provision is no longer in the terms.
Since this converted to a Marriott in early 2000 I checked in the week they took over Food and Beverage has been in decline. The hotel operated buffet has diminished in quality and variety for years now. Poolside is not much better even the fabled Marriott Burger has taken a hit. The third party restaurants are average at best but then this is a resort and they have a captive audience, well worth the walk down to Lewers Street at least you have choices there
Old Sep 2, 2018, 4:51 pm
Suspended

Since this converted to a Marriott in early 2000 I checked in the week they took over Food and Beverage has been in decline. The hotel operated buffet has diminished in quality and variety for years now. Poolside is not much better even the fabled Marriott Burger has taken a hit. The third party restaurants are average at best but then this is a resort and they have a captive audience, well worth the walk down to Lewers Street at least you have choices there
I think this is generally true of Honolulu. There aren't a lot of great dining options, especially in Waikiki. That's true at both legacy Marriott and legacy SPG properties. The Laylow, Autograph Collection is an exception. I really enjoy eating and drinking there. I've always been disappointed in the lackluster food-and-beverage offerings at both the Royal Hawaiian and the Westin Moana Surfrider. I'll take breakfast off-the-menu at the Westin, if I'm there at daybreak, over other hotels but I wouldn't eat dinner there.

The Halekulani is great but you would expect that with the price. I can't speak to the Hilton properties.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Sep 2, 2018 at 4:58 pm
Old Sep 2, 2018, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I think this is generally true of Honolulu. There aren't a lot of great dining options, especially in Waikiki. That's true at both legacy Marriott and legacy SPG properties. The Laylow, Autograph Collection is an exception. I really enjoy eating and drinking there. I've always been disappointed in the lackluster food-and-beverage offerings at both the Royal Hawaiian and the Westin Moana Surfrider. I'll take breakfast off-the-menu at the Westin, if I'm there at daybreak, over other hotels but I wouldn't eat dinner there.

The Halekulani is great but you would expect that with the price. I can't speak to the Hilton properties.

Look at the Hyatt GS bled it dry then sold to BS who sucked more out. The structural repairs required after the Asian buyer closed was huge, They closed the Colony which at one time one of the best placed to eat "on the beach" especially in the middle of the summer when it was hot hot outside. I stayed at the Halekulani when it reopened back in the early mid 80's. Best Lamb chops in the islands! You are correct dinning along the strip sucks. But the there is always Alan Wongs. My standard second night dining.

I'm off to Venice and London later this week
Old Sep 8, 2018, 2:23 pm

Programs: AS (75K+ miles flown) | Marriott Rewards | MLife Sapphire | Identity Silver | Hertz Gold Plus |
Looking at next year's vacation Aug 17-25, Courtyard was offering 5K bonus points every night (with seemingly no restrictions). 40K points for a room that we will honestly just be sleeping in and visiting Waikiki is really enticing.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 7:44 pm

I’ve stayed at both (currently staying at the courtyard right now)

courtyard- mandatory valet parking 42 dollars a day. Two towers. If your in the main tower, the rooms are a bit cramped and the shower is tiny. Also, there’s only two elevators so you always have to wait.

I always ask to stay in the back tower. Slightly bigger rooms, less noise and traffic.

The FS Marriott, only stayed there two days. Has both valet and self park. Didn’t explore that property too much. Room looked like any other Marriott room.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 9:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SpicyMorale
Looking at next year's vacation Aug 17-25, Courtyard was offering 5K bonus points every night (with seemingly no restrictions). 40K points for a room that we will honestly just be sleeping in and visiting Waikiki is really enticing.
I think I saw the Courtyard on the North Shore have similar bonus point promotions.
SpicyMorale likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 2:00 am

Programs: AS (75K+ miles flown) | Marriott Rewards | MLife Sapphire | Identity Silver | Hertz Gold Plus |
Originally Posted by Rdrew3489
I’ve stayed at both (currently staying at the courtyard right now)

courtyard- mandatory valet parking 42 dollars a day. Two towers. If your in the main tower, the rooms are a bit cramped and the shower is tiny. Also, there’s only two elevators so you always have to wait.

I always ask to stay in the back tower. Slightly bigger rooms, less noise and traffic.

The FS Marriott, only stayed there two days. Has both valet and self park. Didn’t explore that property too much. Room looked like any other Marriott room.
Thanks for the tips! This would be a good stay to boost my point total.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I've spent dozens of nights at the CY and the Marriott. The CY is certainly a good place to sleep and a couple of blocks from the beach. The Marriott treats PPE very well but has a stupid resort fee. It is across the street from the beach.

As for parking ... consider using Uber or Lyft and renting a car daily as needed. You can rent in the morning from Hertz at the Hyatt and return it at night without paying for overnight parking. There are also other less expensive parking options in Waikiki.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.