Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2009, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gargoyle
Order placed 9/18 shipped yesterday, delivered today.
You are lucky. Mine placed in the morning of 9/18 just got emails to inform me they are now backordered to 10/07!
Old Sep 24, 2009, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Happy
You are lucky. Mine placed in the morning of 9/18 just got emails to inform me they are now backordered to 10/07!
Same here.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by mrpickles
Need to spend $2M to get lifetime platinum on AAdvantage.
Sorry if this is slightly off topic, but wouldn't it make more sense to accumulate starwood points and then transfer them AA with a 20% bonus? Can you achieve AA lifetime platinum that way?
Old Sep 24, 2009, 10:49 am

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by mikeef
I only used my SPG Amex once and had no problems. I switched to my Fidelity card which pays 2% back.
Mike
Mike-

Which fidelity card do you have that gives you 2%? I thought it was only the Schwab card that got 2, my FIA fidelity card is only giving me 1.5% right now but would love a full 2...
Old Sep 24, 2009, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by Cheapskate Travels
Mike-

Which fidelity card do you have that gives you 2%? I thought it was only the Schwab card that got 2, my FIA fidelity card is only giving me 1.5% right now but would love a full 2...
Fidelity has two cards... one is AmEx which gives 2% on everything.

The other is a VISA which gives 1.5% on everything on the first $15,000 in annual purchases and then 2% on everything after the threshold is met.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mike-

Originally Posted by chimmy826

The other is a VISA which gives 1.5% on everything on the first $15,000 in annual purchases and then 2% on everything after the threshold is met.
Fidelity 2% AMEX card is the one that cash rebate goes to a retirement account, or to a 529 college saving account, ain't they?

If so, they may not be for everyone. Those who cannot contribute to an IRA account, or no use for a 529 college saving account, would be of no use of the Fidelity AMEX cards.

Schwab's goes to regular brokerage account, as well as 0% Forex fee. Fidelity's still has 1 or 2% forex fee. I forgot the details but I know after comparing them, I went to get the Schwab card despite our main brokerage accounts are actually with Fidelity.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Fidelity 2% AMEX card is the one that cash rebate goes to a retirement account, isn't it?

If so, it may not be for everyone. Those who cannot contribute to an IRA account would be of no use of this card.

Schwab's goes to regular brokerage account, as well as 0% Forex fee. Fidelity's still has 1 or 2% forex fee. I forgot the details but I know after comparing them, I went to get the Schwab card despite our main brokerage accounts are actually with Fidelity.
It is not mandated that it goes into a retirement account. It goes into a "mySmartCash" account, which is essentially like a holding account for your money until you decide how to invest it. Once my bonus hits the account, I just ACH it out of there into my Ally Bank account. I'm not sure about the foreign exchange fees, nor do I care, since I don't really travel out of the country for anything. Schwab might be better for some because it's a VISA card, but I rarely, if ever run into problems with AmEx being accepted.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 11:31 am
Suspended

yep a straight 2% is alot better then getting Miles themselves. Its also alot better then FlexPerks (old NWA CC with USBank) Except if you charge alot of the items that gives you 2 pts per $1 instead of the reg $1, since then by spending 10k you get a tkt up to $400 of cause if the tkt is under $400 exactly and most liekly will be then its less then 4%

But Id rather get the FlexPts then reg miles since $20k = $400 tkt and otherwsie ist $25k for a free Saver tkt if its available. Using the miles to upgrade or biz or FC then getting Miles might be better

the good thing about the 2% is you can then go purchase a tkt and earn EQMs & RDMs

Now that I finished topping off teh Airline programs I needed to, I will probably use my SPG Amex here on in. Unless I apply and get a 2% CC, I dont want the $$$ persee but will use it to purchase my tkts
Old Sep 24, 2009, 11:47 am

Programs: UA 1K
Fidelity 2% CC

Mike-

This is the link to apply for the 2% fidelity cc
http://personal.fidelity.com/product...efpr=CMGTOC006
Old Sep 24, 2009, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Mike-

I have this one, only because banks won't take Amex to open a bank account. I already have two and could see about opening a third (I don't remember if Amex lets you have three.) but it's easier to consolidate everything. I also use my Citi Premier Pass card for coins, just until I have as many purchase points as travel points and can dump that card.

Mike
Old Sep 24, 2009, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Sutherlands Lumber
Pizza delivery to the CU.....native american stlyle!
Old Sep 24, 2009, 1:36 pm

Programs: WN,DL,BA
wow guys deposited about 100k and my bank finally shut me down. Told me they would start charging me a 7% fee. I cant believe i went to another bank 1 month and they exchanged my 10k in coins for 10k in cash and i am not even a customer, but they wouldnt do it anymore. The post office straight up refused 5k they were the ones that helped me with the 10k NA to 10k in cash. So after 2 banks, post office today, i went to suntrust and they took 2500 no problem. Im going to start depositing at 4-5 different suntrusts cause i have the delta debit card. Its going to be hard for them to refuse my coins when they see 50,000 + in my checking account. I still cant believe that i deposited 18k at one time at the orginial bank that shut me down. I guess they will miss the FREE PIZZAS I would bring them. This has been alot of fun and i want to continue doing it and I AM REALLY TRYING HARD TO catch up to the leaders with 400k+
Old Sep 24, 2009, 1:36 pm

Programs: Premier Executive, Continental Platinum, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, Velocity Gold, Alaskan MPV Gold.
Got the dreaded "We got a message from our main branch/office today."

I've been trudging my way to 15k spend on two separate spg cards. 3k and 2k at a time because they wouldn't give me a larger credit line.

I go today with a hand full of chocolates for the teller and 3k in coin and was told that the head branch/office needs to know how many more and how much more of the coins am I going to bring in. So.....

I'm only 5k spend away on each card for the 15k points bonus. I still told them about 5k every two weeks for about three or four more months. She said she would let me know what the head branch/office says.

Looks like I might be looking for a new bank if this drys up. Will let you know. In the DC area.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
In a way, I am glad to see it becoming more and more difficult to do large amounts of dollar deposits. As a taxpayer, I don't like the mint spending millions of dollars on UPS overnight just for people to deposit the coins in a bank and have the bank send the coins back to the fed. Also, with all the bailout money that has gone to the banks I hate to see them spending a lot of money to send coins back to the fed.

The real losers in this game is the American public.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by ckc123
I've been trudging my way to 15k spend on two separate spg cards. 3k and 2k at a time because they wouldn't give me a larger credit line.

I go today with a hand full of chocolates for the teller and 3k in coin and was told that the head branch/office needs to know how many more and how much more of the coins am I going to bring in. So.....

I'm only 5k spend away on each card for the 15k points bonus. I still told them about 5k every two weeks for about three or four more months. She said she would let me know what the head branch/office says.

Looks like I might be looking for a new bank if this drys up. Will let you know. In the DC area.
Its legal tender. I'm not sure they're allowed to refuse. Though I've been asked to go to different branches next time because the vault at the branch I was going to just wasn't big enough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.