Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2009, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
Originally Posted by Armin Tamzarian
However most younger cashiers like the shiney new coins and will keep a couple for themselves...
Sounds like a put down of the younger cashiers, as if they are mesmerized by the shiny objects..
Old Sep 25, 2009, 4:53 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by ChaseTheMiles
I am asking very nicely here:

Please revise your derogatory putdown of all women, as we all sooner or later become older and post-menopausal. And, you have no idea how many of us have been particpating in this program for quite a while.
Alright, to rephrase myself...There's a certain subculture of older female employees who are somewhat bitter to be working at a Walgreens or Circle K in their 50s and not only do they have a jerk of an ex-husband and ungrateful children but now some joker is making them count out a bunch of dollar coins that nobody will take as change and will sit in her cash drawer for days costing her time when she has to count out her drawer at the end of each shift.

Anyway to stay on topic, it looks like the MVBs are now backordered to 10/10/09 as well as the NAs. Luckily I got my two boxes and now I can look forward to seeing the bemusement on people's faces when I give them a coin with some crazy looking bald guy on it.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 7:24 am

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Sutherlands Lumber
My UPS driver is pumped. Dollar coins provide great winter traction.

--------------------------------------

BTW, Chasey makes a good point. Kinda hard to dance around it. Let's try to keep this thread alive.

Last edited by pierre mclopez; Sep 25, 2009 at 7:32 am
Old Sep 25, 2009, 7:58 am

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
Originally Posted by IcHot
How people folks actually put these coins into circulation? I've put several boxes into the economy for purchases.
Farmers market

My dry cleaner only takes cash, but is happy to take 2 $25 rolls for a bill of $32 and give me change in paper bills

My wife's chiropractor only takes cash or check; it's easy to pay a $25 co pay with a roll of dollar coins.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
I had gotten some questions a couple of pages back about the Fidelity cards and the 1.5% vs. the 2% cards. I have the 1.5% card (which is 1.5% for the first 15k and 2% on anything over that). Interesing tidbit: My first credit card bill just had its first cycle and totaled about 40K (coins and bank accounts), and I was expecting to get 72,500 points (1.5X for the first 15K, 2X for the remainder). Instead, they gave me 2% on the whole amount. I'm wondering if the card doesn't "recognize" the first 15,000, since it was part of a larger bill that put it in excess of the threshhold.

Mike

ETA: On a totally different subject, I'm going to start holding some coins back to put them into circulation.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lili
Costxco is featuring a dolly for $21.95 can handle #150 lbs. Say $7,500? Good news is it's not a 2-pack!
I dont have the strength to handle anything more than 60lb, dolly help not withdtanding. We actually have a sturdy dolly bought from Home Depot years ago when we moved from one state to another.

Therefore my limitation is 3000 at a time, in terms of moving them, and using the wheeled cart as help. The wheeled cart actually is a folding box with telescope handle and 2 wheels. I got it free at Office Max last year when it was on sale at 9.99 50% off, and I had a $10 coupon - bought a 0.06 X'mas pencil per the kind cashier's suggest, so to use the $10 coupon. :P

Last edited by Happy; Sep 25, 2009 at 8:20 am
Old Sep 25, 2009, 8:58 am

Programs: All, but no status!
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

There was an article in yesterday's WSJ that says Citibank is going to pull back from having branches where it isn't competitive, and focus on 6 retail markets (IIRC, NYC, WAS, MIA, ORD, SFO and LAX). Too bad; I liked being able to pay off my Citi card with coins directly at the Citi branch, to spread them around a bit more.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 9:04 am

Weight?

From the above, I gather that the weight of these coins is about 20lbs per $1,000. Could somebody please advise if this is correct? Each roll ($25) weighs about 1/2 lb?? I have just started but missed the UPS man by about 15 minutes this AM -ugh!
Old Sep 25, 2009, 9:09 am

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Sutherlands Lumber
Originally Posted by mikeef
.....I'm wondering if the card doesn't "recognize" the first 15,000, since it was part of a larger bill that put it in excess of the threshhold.

ETA: On a totally different subject, I'm going to start holding some coins back to put them into circulation.
The Fidelity $15K threshold, is it for one billing period or one calender year? <<just called. it's calender year>>

Re: ETA....I'm looking for a tri-fold wallet with a bit of a coin purse inside. In Canada or Europe, I like to keep small change in my pocket and "large" change in my wallet.....it's a little saner.

Last edited by pierre mclopez; Sep 25, 2009 at 9:19 am
Old Sep 25, 2009, 9:33 am

Programs: The local deli gives me 1 free sandwich after I buy 10
We're added a lot of exclusive member privileges and shopping tools to help you enjoy the U.S. Mint's new online catalog. Organize all your member information from this convenient page. Be sure to check back for the latest member services

Nice changes to 'my accounts' page on the Mints website. Less clicking to check on orders
Old Sep 25, 2009, 9:44 am
Suspended

Alright, to rephrase myself...There's a certain subculture of older female employees who are somewhat bitter to be working at a Walgreens or Circle K in their 50s and not only do they have a jerk of an ex-husband and ungrateful children but now some joker is making them count out a bunch of dollar coins that nobody will take as change and will sit in her cash drawer for days costing her time when she has to count out her drawer at the end of each shift.

Anyway to stay on topic, it looks like the MVBs are now backordered to 10/10/09 as well as the NAs. Luckily I got my two boxes and now I can look forward to seeing the bemusement on people's faces when I give them a coin with some crazy looking bald guy on it.
I enjoy when they really start looking at them to make sure they are really money.

I once plonked 5 of them down and the lady said, "We don't take tokens."
I was nice and patient though. Part of me wanted to shoot back, "Do I look like Chuck E Cheese?"
Old Sep 25, 2009, 9:45 am

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Originally Posted by llfoster
From the above, I gather that the weight of these coins is about 20lbs per $1,000. Could somebody please advise if this is correct? Each roll ($25) weighs about 1/2 lb?? I have just started but missed the UPS man by about 15 minutes this AM -ugh!
Eight boxes of coins = $2000 and weighs 37.55 pounds, according to the UPS label.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 9:46 am
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
I dont have the strength to handle anything more than 60lb, dolly help not withdtanding. We actually have a sturdy dolly bought from Home Depot years ago when we moved from one state to another.
Is the dolly just awkward? I'm a little old lady and have no trouble with 15K (300 pounds) in a supermarket cart.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 10:08 am
Original Member

Martin on the coin looks just like Larry David with an extender wig. Maybe he wondered around the White House pissing people off?

On a serious note, I have learned to open the boxes with a pair of pliers. All of that tearing open of boxes with hands causes soreness.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 10:09 am

Programs: AA Exp Plat, UA 1K MM, DL Plat Hyatt Globalist, MGM Noir
Chicago Trib:Trading Coins For Bills Without Paying A Fee Can be Nearly Impossible

When I first saw the title of this article in the Chicago Tribune I was a concerned as I thought it was going to spill the beans on the $1 Coin deal to the whole world. Fortunately, the it was not about dollar coins, but coin counting and acceptance in general.

Trading Coins For Bills Without Paying A Fee Can be Nearly Impossible

Last edited by OnAMileHigh; Sep 25, 2009 at 10:50 am Reason: link corrected.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.