Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2009, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by xyzzy
Ask them if it's going to go onto your, "Permanent record."
and if they say yes, then follow up with "Oh yeah, well dont get so distressed
did I happen to mention that I'm impressed"
Old Sep 22, 2009, 10:37 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Amex MR
AMEX

I had gotten a request for a financial review from amex....

They were wondering why I was purchasing so much all of a sudden. They blocked one of my orders because it would have brought my balance over 25k. Their reasoning was that I had never spent more than 3k on it in a month and averaged about 2k a month annually. They put this limit at 25k then told me that after I demonstrated an ability to pay the 25k off, that limit would increase each month.

Overall, I have mixed feelings about it, I understand that they don't want to be liable for such a huge sum of money, but when they tell me "no pre set spending limit," I would like to think that theres no limit.

I hope they keep increasing it, as it is, I will lose out on my 9/24 shipment most likely due to my payment posting today.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by reddawngrl
I heard a rumor but have not seen anything posted in this thread about it, but maybe I missed it with all the pages.

Has anyone had any credit card canceled by theircredit card company because they've been buying the coins?
Umm - don't credit card companies WANT you to buy things? The more the better - that's how they make their fees.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by josephstern
Umm - don't credit card companies WANT you to buy things? The more the better - that's how they make their fees.
And then the more you buy, the bigger the risk you are, because the chance is greater that you could go into default, declare bankruptcy and they will never get their money.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by pierre mclopez
Not me. However, I had two cards shut down because I made an agressive pre-pay to boost churning. That one is still ongoing.

I just got too greedy and creative for my own good. A new thread idea: "How I trashed my credit with the US dollar coin".
Why would they cancel on a pre pay? I've been doing that for years and have never had a problem. Coins or no coins.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Sutherlands Lumber
Originally Posted by pkerr
Why would they cancel on a pre pay? I've been doing that for years and have never had a problem. Coins or no coins.
It was substantially in excess of my credit limit.....a violation of the "fine print".
Old Sep 22, 2009, 2:45 pm

It was substantially in excess of my credit limit.....a violation of the "fine print".
What company were the credit cards with? I heard that it's OK to prepay Citi cards, but not others. (I have just made a large pre-pay to a Citi card so that's why I'm asking.)
Old Sep 22, 2009, 3:09 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GoGreen
What company were the credit cards with? I heard that it's OK to prepay Citi cards, but not others. (I have just made a large pre-pay to a Citi card so that's why I'm asking.)
What do you mean by "pre-pay"? Paying off a balance before the closing date is OK. But what some people have been doing has been to make MASSIVE payments to a card so that they had a huge credit balance, which they then spent on coins. I mean, something like making a $50,000 payment to a card with a $10,000 CL, thereby creating a $50,000 credit balance, and then buying $55,000 worth of coins. Any bank is going to be scared of something like that.

Once the coin deal gets deep into your blood, you lose all discretion. There needs to be a 12-step program.

Let's see:

1. We admitted we were powerless over our desire for coins—that our lives had become unmanageable.

2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves (the United States Mint) could restore us to sanity.

3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of the Mint as we understood It.

4. Made a searching and fearless inventory of our Presidents, NAs, balances, credit limits, and miles.

And so on.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 3:10 pm

BoA (bless their hearts )
Old Sep 22, 2009, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
1. We admitted we were powerless over our desire for coins—that our lives had become unmanageable.

2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves (the United States Mint) could restore us to sanity.

3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of the Mint as we understood It.

4. Made a searching and fearless inventory of our Presidents, NAs, balances, credit limits, and miles.
I am a dollarholic.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 3:43 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
I am a dollarholic.
Hi, pierre
Old Sep 22, 2009, 4:22 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by kshahk
I placed an order for 5k on 15th and since last 6 days the estimated ship date keeps increasing by a day every day. It used to show ship date of 9/29 and Now it is 10/6. Cannot wait to get some
Same for me - my 9/15 order shows a ship date of 10/7. My 9/12 order just shipped today though, so that should keep me occupied this week and give myself a little break + time to open a Chase checking account for the CO miles.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 4:29 pm

I did have an on hold order go to in process today (and the authorization hit my AMEX). This was an older order (9/8) but I had a hiccup where when they charged, the CL wasn't available....

On Friday some 9/14 orders also went to process from on hold. Authorization also was done.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
What do you mean by "pre-pay"? Paying off a balance before the closing date is OK. But what some people have been doing has been to make MASSIVE payments to a card so that they had a huge credit balance, which they then spent on coins. I mean, something like making a $50,000 payment to a card with a $10,000 CL, thereby creating a $50,000 credit balance, and then buying $55,000 worth of coins. Any bank is going to be scared of something like that.
I don't get it. What is scary about that? They already have their money.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 5:35 pm

Is there anything like this in Canada?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.