Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2009, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
One issue with most self service coin counters (don't know about other type of coin counters) is that the coins go into a bag with all the other coins of the same denomination that have been deposited since the bag was last changed. If you asked for your coins back, and they were willing to give them back to you, they would only give back the number they say was deposited.

They only way to avoid this type of situation is to ask for a new bag to be placed in the machine prior to counting your coins. In my opinion, not a good thing to do.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by deant
They only way to avoid this type of situation is to ask for a new bag to be placed in the machine prior to counting your coins. In my opinion, not a good thing to do.
...and they are definitely NOT going to do this for pennies, nickles, dimes, and quarters when you've got dollars. A few miscounted coins is just a fact of life. I do, though, wonder how the machine can count pennies and dimes when I feed in dollars.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 6:05 pm
RLW

Red face

Originally Posted by xyzzy
How do you know you won't have the same problem with those machines? The other day I lost almost $3 on about $6k at a self-service machine. I did get credit for a penny, a dime, and a quarter, though. At another machine they opened it up when I complained that it miscounted and handed me an Eisenhower dollar that was stuck .
3 out of 6k is just 0.05 percent not bad.

i just have a suspicion the teller that was putting the coins into the coin machine today wasn't being very honest. after all, the machine was jamming up on him the day before yesterday when I brought in $750 and it was jamming again today so maybe he got annoyed with me today and wanted to pocket $3 for himself? he also counted $491 initially so I had him check the machine again and he found another coin somewhere and the total was $492

... at least with self-service machines I won't have to suspect greedy/pissed off tellers
Old Sep 23, 2009, 6:12 pm

Programs: Too many to list
How do you know you won't have the same problem with those machines? The other day I lost almost $3 on about $6k at a self-service machine. I did get credit for a penny, a dime, and a quarter, though. At another machine they opened it up when I complained that it miscounted and handed me an Eisenhower dollar that was stuck .
I've been shorted the most when some bozo who's used the machine before me has deposited some non-monetary detritus, thereby causing it to freak out, jam, or start counting $1 coins as everything but one dollar.

The items cleaned out so far: Eisenhower dollar as well, gumball, safety pin, bobby pin (3 - these seem popular), matchbox car, kleenex (eww), nail, screw, and one bullet (seriously).

Told one teller mgr last week that they should just give me a key to the machine as I've used them so much I could clean, change bags, or troubleshoot them no problem...except for the bullets.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 6:22 pm

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
Originally Posted by eager to learn
I can manage 2500. I have the UPS man put the coins in a wheeled carry on bag which i put in my car, drive to the bank and wheel the bag to the from parking lot to bank. I must be quite a sight!
Mr. Pickles How do you carry such big quantities? Must use a forklift. I admire you:-:
I purge the shipping boxes as they arrive. I consolidate them into the large box six trays across and six trays high and two trays deep, (36 trays per box, $4500/box) then tape the boxes shut with packing tape. 4 Boxes =$18,000 per deposit. I have my own heavy duty dolly or borrow a dolly from the bank. The banks dolly will hold 4 boxes. If you go to a bank in a shopping center you can use the grocery cart from the store nearby, just return it.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by mrpickles
I purge the shipping boxes as they arrive. I consolidate them into the large box six trays across and six trays high and two trays deep, (36 trays per box, $4500/box) then tape the boxes shut with packing tape. 4 Boxes =$18,000 per deposit. I have my own heavy duty dolly or borrow a dolly from the bank. The banks dolly will hold 4 boxes. If you go to a bank in a shopping center you can use the grocery cart from the store nearby, just return it.
Sorry for the misunderstanding. What is your advice on what to tell them when asking about why you are bringing in large volumes of coin?
Old Sep 23, 2009, 9:37 pm

...and they are definitely NOT going to do this for pennies, nickles, dimes, and quarters when you've got dollars. A few miscounted coins is just a fact of life. I do, though, wonder how the machine can count pennies and dimes when I feed in dollars.
After a long chat with the Ops Manager (at this bank, that person ran everything but those 'bankers' that meet with you at a desk) I learned that dust and paper and junk get on the sensors and the size of the coin is not read properly. Each time I got my money back, but now, I feed in $25 at a time and have not had problems. A pain, but doable.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 10:32 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Sorry for the misunderstanding. What is your advice on what to tell them when asking about why you are bringing in large volumes of coin?
How about "I'm doing it for the country, helping to circulate these coins that will save the government $3 billion a year if we convert from dollar bills to coins?" There is verification of this and free counter thingies available at the US Mint website.

How about "I'm trying to help bring the USofA into the real world where all countries but ours use coins for $1 and $2. Because I'm tired of having to admit to living in a backward nation?"

If you don't like that, and I do, try this one: " I'm doing this for the frequent flyer miles." Your average teller, like you average grocery clerk, figures something like "yeah, right, jerk, you will never get enough miles to get a ticket."

Be upright and upfront. Lying is never an option, IMO.

Last edited by lili; Sep 24, 2009 at 11:10 am
Old Sep 23, 2009, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
My local bank took $10K in one visit, no problem. I asked the Assistant Branch Manager if there was anything I could do to make this easier on them for future visits, and she said they'll take anything, but it would be appreciated to keep it to $5K per day since they have limited space, so I'll use that daily max going forward.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 12:27 am

More personal posts deleted. This thread is on the verge of being closed, at least for a while. Please knock it off.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 1:18 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
Sorry for being redundant and late to the game.... I tried to read as many posts as humanly possible in this thread...

After earning very satisfying AA bonus miles through Citicard churning for the past 2 years, I decided it seemed like too much of a hassle to enter the Presidential coin arena.

Well now I've decided to give it a try but noticed currently there are only 5 direct ship Presidents available for current shipping. If we are allowed only 2 boxes per account, that amounts to only $2,500 per order.

The NA coins all seem to be uncirculated and sold over face value.

Did I miss out on all the 10 and 20K shipments?

Am I basically limited to this as my max until other coins are released?

Also, what do they mean by 2 boxes per "account/order"? Can I use 2 different shipping addresses? Multiple orders?

Any instances of Amex (especially SPG) not issuing points on this "cash" transaction?
Old Sep 24, 2009, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by PatMike
Sorry for being redundant and late to the game.... I tried to read as many posts as humanly possible in this thread...

After earning very satisfying AA bonus miles through Citicard churning for the past 2 years, I decided it seemed like too much of a hassle to enter the Presidential coin arena.

Well now I've decided to give it a try but noticed currently there are only 5 direct ship Presidents available for current shipping. If we are allowed only 2 boxes per account, that amounts to only $2,500 per order.

Did I miss out on all the 10 and 20K shipments?

Am I basically limited to this as my max until other coins are released?

Also, what do they mean by 2 boxes per "account/order"? Can I use 2 different shipping addresses? Multiple orders?

Any instances of Amex (especially SPG) not issuing points on this "cash" transaction?
Are you sure you went to the right page? (see the OP). I still see the NA coins at face value. Many of the rest of your questions are answered in the FAQ at the top of this forum.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 6:16 am

Native American Coins Backordered

This is the first time I have been backordered and then they have pushed back the ship date again. I originally bought coins on 9/15 with expected ship date of 9/30, but just got an email stating that the expected ship date is now 10/7, almost a month later......still worth the wait but just hate the waiting part
Old Sep 24, 2009, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by bobsakamoto
where to ship them? what do you mean by that? you had to return the coins?
You will likely have to return them to the mint. I sent mine back 3-day ground, and the CSR I spoke with told me that I should send a separate letter with a receipt and they would reimburse me for the postage. I just sent that yesterday, so I'm still waiting. I did have some issues related to credit card holds that were accidentally place a couple of times, but they sorted out the mis-shipment with virtually no problems.

Originally Posted by PatMike

PatMike,

Go to the very first link on the first page of this thread. That will take you right to the NA coins.

I only used my SPG Amex once and had no problems. I switched to my Fidelity card which pays 2% back. I value SPG points more highly than that, but I have enough for now that I prefer the cash.

Mike
Old Sep 24, 2009, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by ET
UPS just delivered a box to me today, and I signed for the box.(
Shipping has improved- latest batch was UPS next day air. UPS gave me a robocall this morning to announce delivery today and to state that an adult signature was required.

Originally Posted by chimmy826
Something's wrong. I would call the mint. I've placed 10 orders between 9/4 and 9/12 all which have been delivered. My only orders on hold are ones made between 9/16 and 9/23.
Order placed 9/18 shipped yesterday, delivered today.

Originally Posted by eager to learn
Mr. Pickles How do you carry such big quantities? Must use a forklift. I admire you:-:
I do have two forklifts, 2800 and 3000 lb capacity, but I'm not ordering Pickle Barrels full of coins!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.