Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
This is the master thread for all VGC and MCGC sold at Staples.
The previous discussion can be found here.

The VGCs sold at Staples are issued by Metabank and serviced by Blackhawk Network.
The activation code for online purchase comes with the card. Cards purchased at store are activated at check-out.
To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep.
To activate cards over the web, www.giftcardkey.com.
The default PIN number is the last four digits of the card number but can be changed online.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.

Earn 5x points with Chase Ink, or Simply Cash for 5% cash back
Buy Visa gift cards (Metabank) at Staples ($200 for $7.95) or the website ($300 for $8.95).

2k Limit per transaction / 10k per day for online. In-store is usually 2k but YMMV
Often times, there are promotions with no or reduced activation fees
Print Wikipost

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2019, 12:56 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
Did you all manage to buy more than 1 per visit? They used to run out in one day when everyone around me could buy 2k per day. Now, not so much.
Some places, you can buy $2k everyday and they won't even run out....
cruisr likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 1:44 pm

Programs: All of them
That's a rare unicorn. It has to be some small town middle of nowhere, where few MSers live, and the corporate goons don't monitor the transactions and call the manager to bit-ch about it
Old Aug 1, 2019, 2:58 pm
Suspended

With the GCC and GCM, the only benefit shopping at Staples is the earning with CCs w/ office supply bonus. This is at the cost of having to deal with $200 vs $500 cards. DOSH is another incentive, but I do not see it is current now. So there is the balance of cost vs benefits.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 7:42 am

I live in a big city. Its really your YMMV. I can walk to 3 staples and each one with their own rules. It pays to be friendly because long time cashiers and/or mangers will just let you buy the max. One store here takes the cards off the shelf when they are on sale. The manager hates how it slows down the cashiers. But she will hand me a sealed 10 pack when I ask. I hear so many different reasons as to why the limit but if corporate really cared, I imagine it would be coded into the register.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 9:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by chaser123
I live in a big city. Its really your YMMV. I can walk to 3 staples and each one with their own rules. It pays to be friendly because long time cashiers and/or mangers will just let you buy the max. One store here takes the cards off the shelf when they are on sale. The manager hates how it slows down the cashiers. But she will hand me a sealed 10 pack when I ask. I hear so many different reasons as to why the limit but if corporate really cared, I imagine it would be coded into the register.
I think a lot is "fear" factor. If the manager or cashier see the same person (or people) buying $2k everyday for 7 consecutive days. And the same people doing it each promotion period, then naturally they would question as to what is going on. Fraud, taken advantage of? Just raised some questions or curiosity.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by RedSun
I think a lot is "fear" factor. If the manager or cashier see the same person (or people) buying $2k everyday for 7 consecutive days. And the same people doing it each promotion period, then naturally they would question as to what is going on. Fraud, taken advantage of? Just raised some questions or curiosity.
I think that it is the same reason that any store limits the quantity of a sale item that can be purchased by one person.They want stock to sell to all patrons who come in, and the last thing they want is to run out and have angry customers disrupting business.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 1:37 pm

Programs: American Airlaines, Delta SkyMiles, United, BA, HH, Marriott, SPG, Priority Club
Anybody still having any luck in the past week with getting credit on Dosh for Staples on gift card purchase? I’ve been using this forever but suddenly in the last few days I’m not getting anything.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 1:38 pm

Programs: American Airlaines, Delta SkyMiles, United, BA, HH, Marriott, SPG, Priority Club
Never mind. I guess I just answered my own question. I see Staples is no longer listed as participating in the Dosh app. Sad day.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by Jeremyh11
Anybody still having any luck in the past week with getting credit on Dosh for Staples on gift card purchase? I’ve been using this forever but suddenly in the last few days I’m not getting anything.
Sadly, it appears that Dosh has eliminated Staples from it's cash back reward base
I suspect that they were concerned that since back to school sales are starting in August, that rewrds were going to spike, so adieu to Staples.

Dosh is a 4 letter word that means "worthless".
kjbrant likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 12:35 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, SWA Companion Pass, United Silver
Ugh, my go-to store finally got nuked by a whale. I found a pack of $200 VGCs, but then was told by the store manager that he has to enforce to 1 per household rule. Never been an issue before, but with Dosh eliminating Staples I'm going to sit tight on this promo and wait for the fee-free MCGC promo to return.
Jeremyh11 likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 12:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by doggiefizzle
Ugh, my go-to store finally got nuked by a whale. I found a pack of $200 VGCs, but then was told by the store manager that he has to enforce to 1 per household rule. Never been an issue before, but with Dosh eliminating Staples I'm going to sit tight on this promo and wait for the fee-free MCGC promo to return.
Same here. The last time, the cashier said I could buy the MCGC up to $2k a day, but only $200 of the VGC. I think someone at the store made it up. I do not like those VGC anyhow.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
Starting Sunday (from 7/21 through 7/27), Staples will waive the purchase fee on $200 MasterCard GCs.
(This will stack nicely with two sync offers you might find on your Amex cards.). The usual restrictions apply (see page 5 of weekly ad).
Have visited 3 Wally's with these $200 MasterCard GCs and a no go to get money orders. These same locations I have been able to use Visa for money orders. Basically they are showing up as credit cards and no work around seem to go through.. Going through supermarket purchases seems an annoying way to close out these cards.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by doggiefizzle
Our stores nuked the whales a long time ago, which has left plenty of stock for the minnows in the crowd. They even have allowed me to buy 2 at a time (woo hoo).

I do have stores which allow me to buy 8 at a time but I don't push the envelope. I am a slow and steady MSer.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by Macken7
Have visited 3 Wally's with these $200 MasterCard GCs and a no go to get money orders. These same locations I have been able to use Visa for money orders. Basically they are showing up as credit cards and no work around seem to go through.. Going through supermarket purchases seems an annoying way to close out these cards.
I was very concerned about using the MCGC so I started out doing just 1 card for $200. I explained the procedure to the CSR and she let me change the mode of payment prior to entering the amount of money. Since it was only one swipe, I figured that it was the least complicated MO purchase possible. It took a few swipes to get it right but I got the hang of it.
The next time I did multiple swipes without issue. So I think that I can do either MC or VGCs.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1
I was very concerned about using the MCGC so I started out doing just 1 card for $200. I explained the procedure to the CSR and she let me change the mode of payment prior to entering the amount of money. Since it was only one swipe, I figured that it was the least complicated MO purchase possible. It took a few swipes to get it right but I got the hang of it.
The next time I did multiple swipes without issue. So I think that I can do either MC or VGCs.
So I would basically would tell gal that I had debit cards and needed money order for X dollars. The gal would then end up telling me that it keeps showing up as a credit card.

Your approach of "change the mode of payment" could you elaborate on this?

Thanks in advance for your patience on this matter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.