Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: shdflyer
11/3/17: The vast majority of popular prepaid debit cards are now blocked via a register hardcode at most locations.

This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

Newbies: READ for days and learn before trying. It is best to know what you are doing, so start slow. Refer to cards as "Debit" not gc.

"Money orders can be purchased at any Post Office™ location.
Pay for your money order with cash, debit card, or traveler’s checks."

Fees:
$0.01 to $500.00: $1.20
$500.01 to $1,000.00: $1.60

Most post offices allow split payment (multiple debit cards) for one money order up to a max of $1000.

Example of how to split payment:

1. "One MO please for $998.40. Id like to pay with 2 debit cards, $500 on each."
2. Swipe first card and enter pin.
3. Remind teller that its "$500 on that card". They will change the amount on their screen to $500. Transaction goes through and a small receipt prints.
4. Swipe 2nd card, enter pin.
5. Done.

Note: If you encounter a problem with the second card and have to cancel the transaction, it can be very difficult to recover your funds on the first card. Always have a back-up payment method available (bank debit card or cash).

GC Information: The fine print on the back of the package shows the bank issuer. Don't buy GCs with tampered packaging and always use cards ASAP.

Visa OneVanilla and Vanilla GC issued by Bancorp work at PO.

Visa/MC Gift Cards issued by MetaBank have not had any success at MOST USPS anywhere in the country since around September 2016.
These will NOT work if the clerk uses a touchscreen
These MAY work, and often do, at small, rural post offices where clerks do not have touch screens.

Visa Gift Cards from Walmart issued by Green Dot have stopped working for MO purchases for some.

GAME MOSTLY OVER, MOST USPO are HARD CODED to NOT ACCEPT NON BANK DEBIT CARDS
Exception seems to be small, rural post offices where clerks do not use touch screens.
Print Wikipost

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2017, 9:09 am

I just recently started doing multiple swipes. Here's what I do: I ask for a $1000 MO. I think this amount is less suspicious looking than 498.80. I ask if I can pay $500 on two separate debit cards, then pay the fee in cash.

I've done it this way 3 times without any issues.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 10:56 am

Recently I was denied at a USPS when I asked to buy a $998.40 MO.
Reason given was if my name is not on the card they do not accept.
Blacklisted this location.

No issues at all other locations in my area.

Sf bay area

Last edited by Travelchurner; Apr 12, 2017 at 12:49 am
Old Apr 11, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: United Gold (frmer. 1k and GS), AAdvantage Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Travelchurner
Recently I was denied at a USPS when I asked to buy a $998.40 MO.
Reason given was if my name is not on the card they do not accept.
Blacklisted this location.

No issues at all other locations in my area.
Location? It's really not useful to us if no location is given.

Last edited by lesamuel; Apr 11, 2017 at 11:48 am
Old Apr 11, 2017, 11:33 am

Manhattan, NY is starting to shut down the jig. Three out of the six PO I use no longer allow GC as payment.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by heychrisbaker
Manhattan, NY is starting to shut down the jig. Three out of the six PO I use no longer allow GC as payment.
Went on a trial run of VGC --> USPS MO. First place asked to see my debit card before I could swipe it. Said she wanted to make sure it had a bank logo on it. Second place asked what bank my debit card was associated with. Third place asked to see the card also. Manhattan is the world capital of financial fraud and money scams so its really no surprise that they are far more honed in on this issue.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by brody24
Went on a trial run of VGC --> USPS MO. First place asked to see my debit card before I could swipe it. Said she wanted to make sure it had a bank logo on it. Second place asked what bank my debit card was associated with. Third place asked to see the card also. Manhattan is the world capital of financial fraud and money scams so its really no surprise that they are far more honed in on this issue.
You can also the add to it that Manhattan has the type of demographics that I would be into MS.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 2:22 pm

Can one vanilla VGC work out in UPSP for MO?
Old Apr 11, 2017, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Fly1Away1
You can also the add to it that Manhattan has the type of demographics that I would be into MS.
Definitely. Young, neurotic millenials with higher-than-average incomes who love to travel and have easy access to tons of banks and credit cards. No surprise that its a hotbed of people looking for any shortcut. And its no wonder USPS locations in Manhattan are so keen to prevent it.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 2:33 pm

Fly1Away1 and broady24 what cities are you guys in?
Old Apr 11, 2017, 4:08 pm

its a visa/mc call them and complain... if they accept visa they accept anything with visa on it
Old Apr 11, 2017, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by hyperdallas
its a visa/mc call them and complain... if they accept visa they accept anything with visa on it
i dont think thats wise... why do you want to make noise? they dont owe you anything.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 5:47 pm

its a visa/mc call them and complain ... if they accept visa they accept anything with visa on it
Complain about what ?

VISA and MC networks are not involved with a PIN transaction.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 5:02 am

All around midtown or across the city? The USPS in Rockefeller absolutely does not screw around with gift cards. Had to get IDed with name cross referenced on the card just to buy $10 in stamps.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 7:49 am

Programs: MR, TYP, AA, B6, DL, WN, HH, MB, 2V
I don't know if that's a good call...usually this kind of stuff is best not to draw attention to. If your Visa doesn't work at your PO, close up shop and try another one. Calling to complain about how a card doesn't work for something the issuer probably doesn't want it to work for in the first place seems like opening up a can of worms to me
Old Apr 12, 2017, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by rs2k2
All around midtown or across the city? The USPS in Rockefeller absolutely does not screw around with gift cards. Had to get IDed with name cross referenced on the card just to buy $10 in stamps.
Midtown area: 38th street and 27th street locations. Also, 110th

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.