Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2016. The previous megathread is here.

The 2017 thread is here
Print Wikipost

Simon mall gift cards(2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2016, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by GatorSmiley
Just stick with "budgeting tool". It is literally one of the suggested responses listed on the form that they make you fill out in order to buy the VGCs. There is no reason to come up with an elaborate explanation about remodeling your house. Remember that you are going to be going there month after month.

In almost a year of buying cards, at 5 different SM locations in both Florida and Virginia, I have never had an invasive question asked of me. First off, they always make me fill the form out myself, so I am answering the questions directly...it doesn't involve a conversation. I keep my conversations to pleasant topics...like how their day is going and so forth.

The only time it has ever gotten tense is when they try to get me to sign the part where I am acknowledging receipt of the cards (at the bottom)...BEFORE THEY HAVE GIVEN ME THE CARDS! How on earth can I acknowledge receipt of something unless I have received it? I actually don't think they have even read or understand the form themselves.
I have thought of that before, at most malls I go to they don't force me to sign it before, but they don't usually take the form back until I get the cards. I don't have any fear of not receiving the cards from them. I check the cards shortly after just to verify, sometimes in front of them, sometimes in the car.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 9:57 pm

Littlewimglet, GatorSmiley and CWAL are right. Just pick one off the list. I don't think OP had to fill out paperwork since OP onky bought one card. It's nice when everybody knows ur name. After all no one really cares at SM. They just want the form completely filled out.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by 2B or back in coach
It is the end of the month. By any chance have you reached the monthly limit?
Yesterday when I tried the card at RA, I wasn't over the limit and the register just froze/timed out after I swiped. Today I do realize I had hit the limit, but it was the same card as yesterday that messed up at RA. Could be a coincidence, but I should have tried a lower amount today to see.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 6:15 am

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by Chelski
Littlewimglet, GatorSmiley and CWAL are right. Just pick one off the list. I don't think OP had to fill out paperwork since OP onky bought one card. It's nice when everybody knows ur name. After all no one really cares at SM. They just want the form completely filled out.
I can tell the guys selling GCs at my mall are itching to find out how I'm still coming in there 3x a week with BB down. They won't ask directly of course. It's a hilariously awkward social situation where everyone knows what's up but no-one wants to admit it.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 11:52 am

my local Simon mall also got rid of the kiosk. The new hours aren't too bad though, 9am-5pm weekdays and 12pm-5pm weekends. Feels a bit eerie to walk across a long corridor to the office though.

I still have 2 birds that survived the closure... might go and get more to load before the month resets.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 7:56 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL, AC, CX, BA, AGR, IHG, HH, CC, UR, MR, TY
I have searched both this and the 2015 thread for information on buying SMs on GCM. It seems doable, with very few drawbacks. Apart from the extra $2 fee to have them shipped, I don't see how it isn't more advantageous to individually order $500 SMs from GCM. However, if your Simon mall is friendly toward buying in volume, I can see how physically purchasing large quantities could be a viable MS 1x (or minimum spend) points-earning avenue.

In my case, I am aiming to meet a few low-level minimum spends. As my Simon mall is inconveniently located, I can either 1) go to the Simon mall and buy GCs or 2) purchase them individually online for $505.95 apiece. At that rate, $5.95 is what I would be paying at a grocery store for essentially the same Metabank product. Though this is forfeiting the grocery category bonus, in order to meet these low min spends it isn't a big concern.

The only other couple of pitfalls I can see would be whether the GCM purchase codes as a CA or if GCM shuts a person down for several similar orders. Aside from a few hits on Citi posting as a CA, nothing significant turned up.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 6:54 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by gamzarme
I have searched both this and the 2015 thread for information on buying SMs on GCM. It seems doable, with very few drawbacks. Apart from the extra $2 fee to have them shipped, I don't see how it isn't more advantageous to individually order $500 SMs from GCM. However, if your Simon mall is friendly toward buying in volume, I can see how physically purchasing large quantities could be a viable MS 1x (or minimum spend) points-earning avenue.

In my case, I am aiming to meet a few low-level minimum spends. As my Simon mall is inconveniently located, I can either 1) go to the Simon mall and buy GCs or 2) purchase them individually online for $505.95 apiece. At that rate, $5.95 is what I would be paying at a grocery store for essentially the same Metabank product. Though this is forfeiting the grocery category bonus, in order to meet these low min spends it isn't a big concern.

The only other couple of pitfalls I can see would be whether the GCM purchase codes as a CA or if GCM shuts a person down for several similar orders. Aside from a few hits on Citi posting as a CA, nothing significant turned up.
Do you have access to stores other than WM to unload GC? If so, going to a pharmacy would be a better option for you. Vanilla GCs are only $504.95.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 7:41 am

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL, AC, CX, BA, AGR, IHG, HH, CC, UR, MR, TY
Originally Posted by cdancer20
Do you have access to stores other than WM to unload GC? If so, going to a pharmacy would be a better option for you. Vanilla GCs are only $504.95.
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have made heavy use of Bancorp issued VGCs (mainly OVs) for the majority of past MS and spend meeting. They work great, however the pure convenience and logic factor of not having to "eat" where I will eventually "reload" (RA) is worth the extra dollar. (No dice buying OVGCs at FD, it's purely a reloading location.) I will just avoid RA for buying and focus on CVS instead.

The experience from a couple days ago unloading 1 SM at Walmart was great. As Kate wasn't working, I checked out with some groceries and then asked if I could load my Serve card. The cashier was efficient and the load was effortless. It felt like time-traveling back into the olden days. Can't get that with Bancorp cards.

Last edited by gamzarme; Feb 2, 2016 at 7:50 am Reason: Reached a resolution.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 8:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by gamzarme
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have made heavy use of Bancorp issued VGCs (mainly OVs) for the majority of past MS and spend meeting. They work great, however the pure convenience and logic factor of not having to "eat" where I will eventually "reload" (RA) is worth the extra dollar. (No dice buying OVGCs at FD, it's purely a reloading location.) I will just avoid RA for buying and focus on CVS instead.

The experience from a couple days ago unloading 1 SM at Walmart was great. As Kate wasn't working, I checked out with some groceries and then asked if I could load my Serve card. The cashier was efficient and the load was effortless. It felt like time-traveling back into the olden days. Can't get that with Bancorp cards.
Yeah, even the most evil WM stores have decent cashiers who will usually reload a serve.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 1:01 pm

Programs: MR, TYP, AA, B6, DL, WN, HH, MB, 2V
FWIW bought a $500 SM VGC the other day on a Chase CC, posted as purchase today.

"How much on the gift card?" "$500"
"How will you be paying?" "Credit card."
"Can I see the card?" "Here you go."
"Can I have your license?" "No problem."

She may have typed something into the computer, or just been checking the name on the license against the name on the card. If I get someone in a better mood next time, I think I'll try casually asking what they need the license for.

Then she gave me everything back, I paid, signed the POS on the screen, and left. Pretty painless
Old Feb 3, 2016, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by financialhippie
FWIW bought a $500 SM VGC the other day on a Chase CC, posted as purchase today.

"How much on the gift card?" "$500"
"How will you be paying?" "Credit card."
"Can I see the card?" "Here you go."
"Can I have your license?" "No problem."

She may have typed something into the computer, or just been checking the name on the license against the name on the card. If I get someone in a better mood next time, I think I'll try casually asking what they need the license for.

Then she gave me everything back, I paid, signed the POS on the screen, and left. Pretty painless
They need your license to verify that the card is yours...

Your location shows as Boston. Which mall did you go to? Interested to know who seemed to be in a bad mood today. Might be the weather, too!
Old Feb 6, 2016, 10:21 pm

Shutdown at the end of February..

So I've been buying 6x$500 in cards once a week on average for the past 18 months at my Simon mall. When I went in for my regular routine this past Thursday the office lady I usually deal with advised that they just got notice that Simon will no longer carry Visa/MC and will instead be switching to Amex cards at the end of the month.

She specially referenced the term "gamers" which she said is how Simon referred to MS persons in their conference call.

I've built a very good relationship with the entire office staff over the past year and a half, even attended their company holiday party recently as a special guest.

Can anyone else confirm this or give any input?
Old Feb 7, 2016, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by UATravler577
Shutdown at the end of February..

So I've been buying 6x$500 in cards once a week on average for the past 18 months at my Simon mall. When I went in for my regular routine this past Thursday the office lady I usually deal with advised that they just got notice that Simon will no longer carry Visa/MC and will instead be switching to Amex cards at the end of the month.

She specially referenced the term "gamers" which she said is how Simon referred to MS persons in their conference call.

I've built a very good relationship with the entire office staff over the past year and a half, even attended their company holiday party recently as a special guest.

Can anyone else confirm this or give any input?
Well, that would stink. I won't be going to SM for a week or two but will ask then to my friendly mall rep.

They do sell AMEXs now (I believe) so it's interesting your mall said they're "switching" to AMEX.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by danpeake
Well, that would stink. I won't be going to SM for a week or two but will ask then to my friendly mall rep.

They do sell AMEXs now (I believe) so it's interesting your mall said they're "switching" to AMEX.
It's interesting because before fall of 2014, most locations had a preference for AmEx gift cards. Not all SMs carried the Visa variety. Perhaps they've gotten a backlash of people whose birds have been shutdown and have found out there are no refunds on the gift cards.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 9:35 pm

This is just a bad rumor.. It seems like this bad rumor is coming up every 2-3 months.. Every year there are a number of malls that change ownership or change management companies.. Not all mall management/ownership companies sell vcgs. If ur mall says something like that then you should ask more questions regarding why the change and if anything else is changing. NonSM malls by me tend to only have Amex. My SM has no change and I visited mine today since I couldn't fit it in yesterday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.