Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2016. The previous megathread is here.

The 2017 thread is here
Print Wikipost

Simon mall gift cards(2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2016, 5:41 pm

Interestingly enough, my SM rep called me to report that they moved their SMGCs sales office to the different location in the Mall although I haven't purchased SGC in longer than a year.

MS enablers
Old Jan 28, 2016, 8:51 pm

Programs: Leisure Traveler: Delta DM, Starwood PM50, Global Entry, NEXUS, CLEAR
Originally Posted by touristtrap
Interestingly enough, my SM rep called me to report that they moved their SMGCs sales office to the different location in the Mall although I haven't purchased SGC in longer than a year.

MS enablers
Lemme guess. Town Center?
Old Jan 28, 2016, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PaulMSN
$200 GCs, if you can find them in stock, are a pain to deal with. Not everyone is interested in maximum profit no matter what. Convenience is a factor.
Seriously! I wound up with a stack of those MFers last summer because that's the max that BB&B sells. I floated the balance until I found the time to find a working Kate, which took me a few weeks. Now with Serve dead, unless you want to wander around getting a bunch of $195 MOs, or pissing off your local WMT clerk... good luck.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 7:54 pm

Programs: Cap One Venture
Simon Mall in ATL

Originally Posted by droidcore
One more data point on the email...

Went and bought 3.5k at my local Simon Mall in ATL, today. Rep knows me well. First thing she says to me is, "I heard y'all got shut down!" There was an email that was sent out to all Simon Info Booth people this morning... I told her I wasn't aware of what she meant. She went on to say that she now knows what we're all doing, and that they call us "Gamers" (I think she meant "Churners") and that AMEX had just shut down our game, per the email. I asked her the reason for the email and was told that it was to reiterate that they would not refund any previously purchased gift cards. Like duh. She also said she was sad because she'd formed a relationship with some of us regulars. Anyway, I told her I wasn't there for the AMEX thing (kinda). But, they're very aware now... as if they weren't before. Not sure what affect this will have on anything.

You must have went to Lenox. Her name is Carol. Just butter her up with mindless conversations and she will leave you alone.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 7:55 pm

Programs: Cap One Venture
Originally Posted by droidcore
Lemme guess. Town Center?
Yup. Those ladies are nice. If you call and reserve your cards, it's much quicker. They kinda slow with swiping.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 10:12 am

I bought 4x500 smvgc on Tue. 3 loaded fine at RA and WM but one would just not unload. I tested at the grocery store (worked) and called and the balance was all there. I was also able to drain it as an MO at WM, so the pin was fine. These cards were all bought in the same transaction at the same time, so I'm not sure why one was a bad egg. Anyone experience this recently?
Old Jan 30, 2016, 8:23 pm

Programs: DL DM-1MM HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Seems when AMEX gave folks the bird several were suddenly caught holding excess inventory.
Originally Posted by sempervivum
I bought 4x500 smvgc on Tue. 3 loaded fine at RA and WM but one would just not unload. I tested at the grocery store (worked) and called and the balance was all there. I was also able to drain it as an MO at WM, so the pin was fine. These cards were all bought in the same transaction at the same time, so I'm not sure why one was a bad egg. Anyone experience this recently?
It is the end of the month. By any chance have you reached the monthly limit?
Old Jan 30, 2016, 9:10 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL, AC, CX, BA, AGR, IHG, HH, CC, UR, MR, TY
My first buy of a Simon card for $500, $3.95 fee:

Rep: "What are you purchasing this card for? Like, what will it be used for?"

Originally Posted by CWAL
Budgeting Tool
Yes. Excellent. The more I read into the past comments on this (and the 2015) thread, the more tactful I will become at answer invasive rep questions ...

As it is I answered, "It's a gift." What an unsustainable answer. Geez. Guess how I'll be responding next time?
Old Jan 30, 2016, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by gamzarme
Yes. Excellent. The more I read into the past comments on this (and the 2015) thread, the more tactful I will become at answer invasive rep questions ...
No question they ask is invasive. That is a question on the form to fill out. Wait until they ask for your DL/ID in order to sell you any GCs. It's good to learn to be tactful but it's not necessary at SM. Remember the rep is the who standing b/w you and the CGs. Don't think of them as invasive. Be Positive!
Old Jan 30, 2016, 9:20 pm

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by gamzarme
My first buy of a Simon card for $500, $3.95 fee:

Rep: "What are you purchasing this card for? Like, what will it be used for?"

As it is I answered, "It's a gift." What an unsustainable answer. Geez. Guess how I'll be responding next time?
Budgeting tool? How's a GC a budgeting tool? Just tell them you're paying a contractor to remodel your house and he only takes cash or GCs.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
Budgeting tool? How's a GC a budgeting tool? Just tell them you're paying a contractor to remodel your house and he only takes cash or GCs.
For normal people, by setting aside different gift cards for different purposes.

For me, it's a budgeting tool that allows me to change and improve cashflow timing.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 9:38 pm

Hopefully OP isn't going to be going in weekly or more often for the next year. That's a heck of a story OP will have to keep track of. Oh contractor was aLmost finished and then realized there is knob and tube electrical that is unsafe and has to be replaced. I go anywhere from 1-3 times/week. It'd be a heck of a remodeling job.

Keep it simple. My SM fills it in for me. Keep it broad and vague. Budgeting tool would fit simple, broad and vague. It would also be honest.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 9:41 pm

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by Chelski
Hopefully OP isn't going to be going in weekly or more often for the next year. That's a heck of a story OP will have to keep track of. Oh contractor was aLmost finished and then realized there is knob and tube electrical that is unsafe and has to be replaced. I go anywhere from 1-3 times/week. It'd be a heck of a remodeling job.

Keep it simple. My SM fills it in for me. Keep it broad and vague. Budgeting tool would fit simple, broad and vague. It would also be honest.
I do keep it vague, something about employee spending limits. Nobody cares at my SM, they happily sell me 20k per week.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 9:41 pm

It amazes me how many people feel the need to lie and make up stories simply because they aren't comfortable with what they're doing.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 9:45 pm

Programs: MileagePLUS, AAdvantage, TrueBlue
Just stick with "budgeting tool". It is literally one of the suggested responses listed on the form that they make you fill out in order to buy the VGCs. There is no reason to come up with an elaborate explanation about remodeling your house. Remember that you are going to be going there month after month.

In almost a year of buying cards, at 5 different SM locations in both Florida and Virginia, I have never had an invasive question asked of me. First off, they always make me fill the form out myself, so I am answering the questions directly...it doesn't involve a conversation. I keep my conversations to pleasant topics...like how their day is going and so forth.

The only time it has ever gotten tense is when they try to get me to sign the part where I am acknowledging receipt of the cards (at the bottom)...BEFORE THEY HAVE GIVEN ME THE CARDS! How on earth can I acknowledge receipt of something unless I have received it? I actually don't think they have even read or understand the form themselves.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.