Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2016. The previous megathread is here.

The 2017 thread is here
Print Wikipost

Simon mall gift cards(2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2016, 9:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by highinthesky
There is a sign at Boynton Beach Mall in FL that says that the mall is under new management and they stopped selling all Visa, MC, and Amex Cards until further notice. More info should be released in March.
The mall is now managed by Glimcher. This has been in the works for a few months now.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 11:04 am

do we start the Simon malls gift cards are dead now...
Old Jan 17, 2016, 11:51 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by kingrat
Just to add another data point. Large Midwest mall, information stand where SMGCs were sold existed 1/7/16 and is gone today (1/17/16). It has been replaced by a sign which says that gift cards and information are availale at the management office 8:30-5 M-F and 12-5 on Sat.
This means that anyone with a day job is going to be stressed to find time to stop and pick up cards.

In my opinion (with no other info other than FT), Simon sometime in the near future will shut this business down by simply requiring cash or check to buy cards. It is obvious that they have already reduced the card "sales footprint" by limiting the time and place one can buy the cards, so moving to the next step really isn't that significant.

This event will just confirm that if something is abused, it will be shut down. There are now so many examples of this that another one should not be surprising or unexpected.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 11:54 am

My nearby simon mall already sells vgc only during office hrs. M-F - 10 TO 5 and Sat 12 to 6. sun closed.

Even if i go by 5.45 , 2 times i got the answer as sold out.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1
Just to add another data point. Large Midwest mall, information stand where SMGCs were sold existed 1/7/16 and is gone today (1/17/16). It has been replaced by a sign which says that gift cards and information are availale at the management office 8:30-5 M-F and 12-5 on Sat.
This means that anyone with a day job is going to be stressed to find time to stop and pick up cards.

In my opinion (with no other info other than FT), Simon sometime in the near future will shut this business down by simply requiring cash or check to buy cards. It is obvious that they have already reduced the card "sales footprint" by limiting the time and place one can buy the cards, so moving to the next step really isn't that significant.

This event will just confirm that if something is abused, it will be shut down. There are now so many examples of this that another one should not be surprising or unexpected.
How is buying something that is for sale considered abuse? They would simply just pull the cards if they were losing money.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1

If Simon didn't shutdown when people had multi bluebirds they are going to shutdown now that BB are gone? WE have too many reactionary people who take one mall experience and apply it to the world...

Ill shut up - I get too fired up reading too much garbage post on here that matter to no one. I'm still doing my 25k a month and Im happy.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 2:10 pm

If Simon didn't shutdown when people had multi bluebirds they are going to shutdown now that BB are gone? WE have too many reactionary people who take one mall experience and apply it to the world...

Ill shut up - I get too fired up reading too much garbage post on here that matter to no one. I'm still doing my 25k a month and Im happy.
+1

I spoke with two guys from SM and they were telling me that there is no reason to shutdown the GC (no internal memo about this), they are making $3.95 for each GC (do the math) so why in hell they're going to stop now?, they're more cautious now that BB/serve shutdown regarding refunding but that is all, if you have a valid CC you are good to go.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 2:18 pm

I'm wondering who gets credit for predicting they are dead like serve even though they aren't dead
Old Jan 17, 2016, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by Chelski
I'm wondering who gets credit for predicting they are dead like serve even though they aren't dead
You are not referring to the Nostradamus of FT, are you?
Old Jan 17, 2016, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by Chelski
I would like to name names but I have been warned to stay on topic so I'll shut up and talk about how wonderful SMGC are and you can buy them at your local mall
Old Jan 17, 2016, 5:20 pm

Business as usual at my SM. I used my Arrival+ (MasterCard) with a $1 CA limit and the charge was approved. I suppose I won't know for sure whether or not it's a CA until it posts, but it should have been denied if it was. The SM CSR was unaware of any potential issues other than the BB/Serve stuff.

I believe Macerich also had an issue in the past with charges posting as CA, but that was resolved. To the extent there is an issue with Simon, I expect it will be resolved. Remember that Simon wants to sell gift cards, both store and Visa gift cards. Grocery and drugstores also sell substantially the same gift cards at the same prices (face value). If Simon charges were posting as CA, nobody, even non-MSers, would buy gift cards there -- they'd go to a grocery or drugstore where they wouldn't be hit with a CA fee. (And if the problem was so widespread that regular consumers were being hit with CA fees for buying Chipotle gift cards, there would likely be media attention to the issue.) If Simon wanted to get rid of MSers, I expect they would decrease the personal purchase limit before destroying their gift card business with CA nonsense.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I went to my Simon mall and got the usual $9.5K, got rid of them on the way to and in Milwaukee, came home and looked at the Temporary Authorizations:

Chase Hyatt -- JOHNSON CRK PRMOTLT 78

Chase UA MP -- JOHNSON CRK PRMOTLT 78

Citi -- DC JOHNSON CRK PRMOTLT 78 JOHNSON CREEK W, Category: MISC GENERAL MERCHANDISE NOT CLASSIFIED

Everything is the same as before.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
I went to my Simon mall and got the usual $9.5K, got rid of them on the way to and in Milwaukee, came home and looked at the Temporary Authorizations:

Chase Hyatt -- JOHNSON CRK PRMOTLT 78

Chase UA MP -- JOHNSON CRK PRMOTLT 78

Citi -- DC JOHNSON CRK PRMOTLT 78 JOHNSON CREEK W, Category: MISC GENERAL MERCHANDISE NOT CLASSIFIED

Everything is the same as before.
Got rid of, via MOs at Walmart I assume?
Old Jan 17, 2016, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikeyb45
Got rid of, via MOs at Walmart I assume?
Yes, 4 WMs did the trick.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by kingofkingsforu
My nearby simon mall already sells vgc only during office hrs. M-F - 10 TO 5 and Sat 12 to 6. sun closed.

Even if i go by 5.45 , 2 times i got the answer as sold out.
Ah, today I encountered this situation... Went to an out of the way mall and saw that the guest service desk has been removed (relocated, not sure, but it's not where it is now. There is a table with a sign to go to the mall office to buy VGCs with hours. Sunday has no hours... so today was a flop.

Not a big deal as it was getting pretty late to begin with and I did not expect to walk out with any cards. Had dinner with the fam nearby afterwards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.