Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2016. The previous megathread is here.

The 2017 thread is here
Print Wikipost

Simon mall gift cards(2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2016, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by jkoenig51
can I just buy vgc from the gift card mall and purchase mo, and save myself a trip to SM?
My order for 2 gc last week triggered a hold on the order. They emailed me, requested a callback, I had to endure their survey questions including what I planned to do with such a "large" purchase. $1000 is large? Doesn't even come close to covering my monthly bills.

This was 2 days prior to the BB crackdown, by the way.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 9:24 pm

Simon death imminent...

not good news coming from whispers heard from one of my birds in CA...

simon death is imminent for at least amex, possibly all- though i have no direct info (only anecdotal) regarding non-amex.

when i said a few days ago that i didn't think simon would last thru the year, i was only speculating. the info i have on amex is not speculation.

be safe out there, for the night is dark and full of terrors...
Old Jan 14, 2016, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
woosh... it is a frightening MS world out there. My dream turned nightmare last night featured a loss prevention officer that looked like he failed out of community college screaming "krazykanuck, drop those gift cards!". Thankfully I woke up before he had the chance to open fire, otherwise we could have started the hashtag #MSerslivesmatter
Old Jan 14, 2016, 10:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Flyby01
SM CSR recently told me this "I just want to remind you that there are no refunds on these. I'm sure you already knew that. Also, these cards may not work on Bluebirds." That last line caught me by surprise. It's nice to see that SM CSRs are looking out for our best interests. ;-)
They're not looking out for you. Simon specifically sent out an email telling the cs reps about the closures of serve and bluebird.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 10:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
not good news coming from whispers heard from one of my birds in CA...

simon death is imminent for at least amex, possibly all- though i have no direct info (only anecdotal) regarding non-amex.

when i said a few days ago that i didn't think simon would last thru the year, i was only speculating. the info i have on amex is not speculation.

i'd like to be a part of your misinformation campaign. please pm me the details so that i can post them on BowTie's blog.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 10:51 pm

You guys really need to calm down and show some discipline. Naming names and locations is just dumb. Even if your local help desk is circling the toilet bowl just chin up and bear it. If you really must talk about it in its skanky details go make some MS friends and talk to each other about it in private messages.

Many of you are in this situation bcos ppl (just like you) don't respect the game.

Old Jan 14, 2016, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Journey4Happy
The other day I bought $2k at SM that just installed the Chip reading keypad. I put in the card without showing the clerk and it got approved. I said, "That's it? You don't need to see my ID?" She had a confused look on her face and said, "Oh... I don't know. Let me see your card and ID" (to see that it matched). She would have never asked if I didn't mention it.

So anybody else use the Chip keypad and not have to cross-check card name with ID? If so, then we just need AMEX to make chip GCs (& start doing Cashback again).

Another practical use - with credit cards now cracking down on Authorized Users, it would be nice to be able to use my wife's card. (so how are Chip cards safer than swipe cards anyway?)
Merchants can ask to see your ID, but cannot require it as a condition of sale (per Visa and MasterCard rules... Amex has no such rules but discourages ID checking). So most don't.

You sound like my wife whenever she buys a bottle of wine at the grocery store. "Don't you need to see my ID?" I don't understand why she asks.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by KYBOSH
You guys really need to calm down and show some discipline. Naming names and locations is just dumb. Even if your local help desk is circling the toilet bowl just chin up and bear it. If you really must talk about it in its skanky details go make some MS friends and talk to each other about it in private messages.

Many of you are in this situation bcos ppl (just like you) don't respect the game.

if this is directed at me, you're well out of your depth there, sparky.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 8:46 am

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by RamboAroundTheWorld
They're not looking out for you. Simon specifically sent out an email telling the cs reps about the closures of serve and bluebird.
As you mention, some CS s pay attention to memos. Last December I was at a location where they even check the type of CC being used to pay versus a piece of paper they had with the most used CC to MS. Fortunately I was using a WN Chase, which is not that common. The CS told me the CSP from Chase is what he looks for, as that is one of the most commonly used along some Thank You Cards by Citi

Other CS s, like the one in my local Simon Mall (and a good friend) even tells me how people MS and how they split they transactions in the exact thousands (Always ending in X000.00) and pay for the fees with another CC. The thing is, he told me they kind of have a budget for 2016, vs what they sold in 2015. Now I think Management sent them the BB/Serve Memo to tell them there was going to be less and less business than expected

I have no new CC for now, and considering my BB was closed, I have been only doing my Grocery VGC shopping and turning it into MO's at other Grocery Stores.
So will be interesting to see what happens with Simon in the next few months. Miss the good ol days where the fee was $2.95 even if bought with CC
Old Jan 15, 2016, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Seems when AMEX gave folks the bird several were suddenly caught holding excess inventory.
Honestly, I find all the angst about Black Bird Friday, and Simon Malls off.

My mall is still selling me GCs with no problems, and for $3.95 per $500 card. While I am now paying a fee again to manufacture spend, this is still a good deal. Further, yes more trips to Wally are needed, MO and Walmart Bill Pay are still excellent options.

So folks, step away from the ledge and MS away!
Old Jan 15, 2016, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan
Honestly, I find all the angst about Black Bird Friday, and Simon Malls off.

My mall is still selling me GCs with no problems, and for $3.95 per $500 card. While I am now paying a fee again to manufacture spend, this is still a good deal. Further, yes more trips to Wally are needed, MO and Walmart Bill Pay are still excellent options.

So folks, step away from the ledge and MS away!
Yeah but according to uncommonsensical Simon is about to die.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by styxfire
My order for 2 gc last week triggered a hold on the order. They emailed me, requested a callback, I had to endure their survey questions including what I planned to do with such a "large" purchase. $1000 is large? Doesn't even come close to covering my monthly bills.

This was 2 days prior to the BB crackdown, by the way.
I ordered 2 $500 VGC from Simon over this past weekend and got the shipment email notice Wednesday. Guess it's not across the board.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KYBOSH

(Image deleted)
I simply don't respect paranoid people. This site is here to share information.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by compddd
Yeah but according to uncommonsensical Simon is about to die.
Well, I hope it doesn't, just so we don't get another Nostradamus thread.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Jesusdyd4u
I ordered 2 $500 VGC from Simon over this past weekend and got the shipment email notice Wednesday. Guess it's not across the board.
FYI Simon website not allowing $500+
Purchases Vgc anymore. Limited to jus 1 🙁

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.