Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2016. The previous megathread is here.

The 2017 thread is here
Print Wikipost

Simon mall gift cards(2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2016, 9:15 am
formerly mattrendell27

Originally Posted by illinidad
No need to call. Use the last four digits of the card number.
Oh great, didn't realize that thanks!
Old Jan 13, 2016, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
...when walmart falls, the few other remaining MO options will get inundated, hastening their demise as well.
Matter of time for WM to fall. Only need Moneygram or WM corporate to pull the plug after they see increased MO activity this month and next with noobs liquidating GCs they bought for Serve. Wife and I are going to tone it down so we don't get stuck with $40k in SMGCs.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
i've now had 3 cards over the past couple months that don't work anywhere. when you call the # it's fine. the card isn't 'frozen' like with trying a PIN too many times, or the like. when SM scans the card it looks normal to them. but it's unusable anywhere. they don't even scan. iow, as soon as you swipe it there is a 'card error' type pop up. using a receipt tape wrapped around (a trick when to make a semi-messed up magnetic strip work) doesn't work either.

only solution is to go back and have the manager (at least at my SM) void it and get a new one- a pita for all parties.
I can't tell if you tried, but have you tried running them as credit? When I get stuck with cards like these, they always work to buy another card to cash out. RLI works especially well for this if you have a place. Then you get your fee reimbursed. Even if you need to buy a VGC, I feel like the fee is worth saving the hassle of trying to get the card replaced. Plus you can move on with your life and stop accounting for the 500, 1000 or 1500 of float
Old Jan 13, 2016, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by illinidad
No need to call. Use the last four digits of the card number.
I ordered 2 SMVGC from Simon online.

Since the order comes from GiftCardMall, can I still just use last four as PIN, and do I need to contact GCM to activate the cards?
Old Jan 13, 2016, 12:18 pm

Programs: WN (CP 6x, A+ 2x), Marriott (LT Titanium), Hyatt Explorer, Hertz PC, UA/*A Silver
Originally Posted by Jesusdyd4u
I ordered 2 SMVGC from Simon online.

Since the order comes from GiftCardMall, can I still just use last four as PIN, and do I need to contact GCM to activate the cards?
Not sure about that, since I've never ordered online. My guess is that you should be able to, but since you only have two, why not just try the last four? There should also be instructions/notices with the cards that would tell you if you need to call.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 12:19 pm

Anyone from DFW area know the scoop on Firewheel Mall? I was told the guest services where we used to buy gift cards are no longer there and you have to go to the management office now for all guest service needs.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 12:21 pm

Purchase with Business CC

Originally Posted by Jesusdyd4u
Took my wife and her new Ink+ business card to the SM I've been going to for 6 months. The CSR's know me there, as well. Tried to buy 3K in VGC, and when using the new chip reading terminal, it just sat there for some time thinking, then spit out some terminal ID error. Manager was called down, who also recognizes me, and tells me they no longer can accept Business CC for personal VGC purchase.
The system is hard-coded for that, and that's why it froze.
Has anyone else experienced this? I have min. spending requirements on a couple of business cards. TIA
Old Jan 14, 2016, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by trvlfor5
Has anyone else experienced this? I have min. spending requirements on a couple of business cards. TIA
Read
Old Jan 14, 2016, 7:22 am

SM CSR recently told me this "I just want to remind you that there are no refunds on these. I'm sure you already knew that. Also, these cards may not work on Bluebirds." That last line caught me by surprise. It's nice to see that SM CSRs are looking out for our best interests. ;-)
Old Jan 14, 2016, 8:07 am

Programs: spg gold
can I just buy vgc from the gift card mall and purchase mo, and save myself a trip to SM?
Old Jan 14, 2016, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by jkoenig51
can I just buy vgc from the gift card mall and purchase mo, and save myself a trip to SM?
sure! most, if not all of those who go to the mall buy more than 2.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 8:43 am

Hi guys,

Question, how do credit card companies see 2k, 3k, 4k up to 10k SMGC purchases?, i know (including myself) buying SMGC code as a purchase and that is not my question, my question is how ex: Chase or Amex or any CC company see 2, 3, 4 or 10 transaction a month from the same place even though are different amounts all the time (in my case i always do) ??,

I normally mix my expenses with MS but its no way i can spent over 5k on myself a month, i just wondering if you guys have any input on this.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 9:13 am

Programs: Several dozen
Seems when AMEX gave folks the bird several were suddenly caught holding excess inventory.

Originally Posted by Flyby01
SM CSR recently told me this "I just want to remind you that there are no refunds on these. I'm sure you already knew that. Also, these cards may not work on Bluebirds." That last line caught me by surprise. It's nice to see that SM CSRs are looking out for our best interests. ;-)
Old Jan 14, 2016, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Aleko
Anyone from DFW area know the scoop on Firewheel Mall? I was told the guest services where we used to buy gift cards are no longer there and you have to go to the management office now for all guest service needs.
Couldn't tell you as I stopped going there about four months ago when they started recording/tracking people's daily spending in their computer rather than just storing paper forms we fill out.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by elegua
Hi guys,

Question, how do credit card companies see 2k, 3k, 4k up to 10k SMGC purchases?
Electronically

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.