Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2016. The previous megathread is here.

The 2017 thread is here
Print Wikipost

Simon mall gift cards(2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2016, 12:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by shadow520
What mall and what card?

Coded as purchase on Chase WN Premier/Plus and Discover Miles for me at 2 Las Vegas and 2 Orlando malls.
The mall is in S. FL and this was on a Capital One venture. Confirmed with others this is a widespread issue
Old Jan 16, 2016, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AndrewTheMan
The mall is in S. FL and this was on a Capital One venture. Confirmed with others this is a widespread issue
Hmm. As of when? My most recent purchase was last weekend (Citi Visa) here in TX and posted as a purchase (not sure if it initially authorized as a CA, I never looked).
Old Jan 16, 2016, 12:58 pm

What difference does it make if it codes as a CA but posts as a purchase?
Old Jan 16, 2016, 1:40 pm

YMMV?

Last edited by Chelski; Feb 3, 2016 at 2:50 pm
Old Jan 16, 2016, 1:40 pm

YMMV?

Last edited by Chelski; Feb 3, 2016 at 2:50 pm
Old Jan 16, 2016, 1:56 pm

Programs: spg gold
Just set your CA limit to $0 problem solved
Old Jan 16, 2016, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by compddd
We do not know if this is the case. OP has not said how the transaction is posted.

Originally Posted by jkoenig51
Just set your CA limit to $0 problem solved
The transaction will then fail if it is indeed coded as Cash Advance. Seems this has already happened in SoCal. Friend had a failed transaction on a new Citi card - no fraud alert. Citi CSR said the merchant coded it as Cash Advance but since the card is a new one, the cash advance limit is only $500, much below what friend tried to buy. No authorization went thru.

The real issue is, Simon's as a friendly avenue may start to die, or already dead as being warned by someone in Post 77 of this thread but some arrogant folks poohed poohed the poster and dismissed the warning.

Last edited by Happy; Jan 16, 2016 at 2:38 pm
Old Jan 16, 2016, 2:35 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
Further demise of ms. Between the ml paranoia induced regulatory atmosphere in this last 7 years, to GC sales dropping overall due to Serve/BB shutdowns, many points hobbyist are under attack and retailers suffer too.

MS'r Lives Matter.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 2:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by compddd
This is a posted transaction.. IE I was actually charged

1/15/16
Other Services
XXXXXXXXX MALL XXXX
Other Services
$9,575.05

1/15/16
CASH ADVANCE FEE
Other
$287.25
Old Jan 16, 2016, 3:11 pm

This is a posted transaction.. IE I was actually charged

1/15/16
CASH ADVANCE FEE
Other
$287.25
Where in Southern FL ?
Old Jan 16, 2016, 3:47 pm

YMMV?

Last edited by Chelski; Feb 3, 2016 at 2:53 pm
Old Jan 16, 2016, 3:58 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by Happy
We do not know if this is the case. OP has not said how the transaction is posted.
Op just replied that this is how it posted - as a cash advance - and with a big, fat CA fee ($287 he's now gotta eat - ouch!).

This is very bad news.

The real issue is, Simon's as a friendly avenue may start to die, or already dead as being warned by someone in Post 77 of this thread but some arrogant folks poohed poohed the poster and dismissed the warning.
There's more bad news...

At my Simon Mall, one day in the past week, the counter where they sold GCs vanished overnight with no warning. On my next visit, a few days later, I see that gift cards are now sold through the mall office. That office is only open 9-5 weekdays. I'll manage that I suppose (not easily, though - hard to get there when they're only open during my workday). I note that at least one other FTer has posted that the same thing happened last week at his local mall (and that's not the same part of the country as me).

I am concerned that along with the Serve shutdown, Simon Malls may have made a decision to either exit the GC game entirely, or at least make it much harder for casual MSers (or, "gamers" as they call us). Changing things to post as a cash advance would certainly put an immediate end to it. If they did that, they would (rightly) conclude there would be a big drop-off in activity at the walk-up counter, and moving sales to the Mall Office would make sense (they probably laid off the guys working the counter).

We will soon see if the cash advance fees are widespread. In any case, I think we are seeing some strong signs that could indicate Simon has decided they don't want to be played any more.

January 2016 is shaping up to be one epic bad month for us...
Old Jan 16, 2016, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nwflyboy

Changing things to post as a cash advance would certainly put an immediate end to it. If they did that, they would (rightly) conclude there would be a big drop-off in activity at the walk-up counter, and moving sales to the Mall Office would make sense (they probably laid off the guys working the counter).
The kiosk serves many other mall customers than GC purchasers. In every visit I saw other customers walk up for services - get a wheelchair, get a baby stroller, kids to spin the wheel for a token prize, buy venue tickets with the ticketmaster station, report lost wallets, keys, cars, you name it. So the folks who man the Kiosk would still be there. Just that GC sales may no longer be at the counter. But if the transaction is coded as CA, then all your worry of the inconvenient office hours is moot.

We will soon see if the cash advance fees are widespread. In any case, I think we are seeing some strong signs that could indicate Simon has decided they don't want to be played any more.

January 2016 is shaping up to be one epic bad month for us...
If you read OP's posts, he also confirmed with others that this is a widespread issue.
Friend in SoCal encountered Cash Advance coding on the exact same day happened to the OP who is in Southern FL - literally across the country. I would bet on that CA is going to roll out thru all Malls.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 4:28 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
The kiosk serves many other mall customers than GC purchasers. In every visit I saw other customers walk up for services - get a wheelchair, get a baby stroller, kids to spin the wheel for a token prize, buy venue tickets with the ticketmaster station, report lost wallets, keys, cars, you name it. So the folks who man the Kiosk would still be there. Just that GC sales may no longer be at the counter. But if the transaction is coded as CA, then all your worry of the inconvenient office hours is moot.
Agree on all your points, except: in my mall, the counter where gift cards were sold, and where all the other activity you describe does take place - that counter is physically gone - it was removed overnight some night in the last week. So somebody loses their keys, needs other services previously provided at the gift card counter - good luck: they now need to find the mall office (and they better not need anything outside of M-F 9-5 hours).

I'm starting to think The Golden Age of MS has ended.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 4:47 pm
Suspended

Agree on all your points, except: in my mall, the counter where gift cards were sold, and where all the other activity you describe does take place - that counter is physically gone - it was removed overnight some night in the last week. So somebody loses their keys, needs other services previously provided at the gift card counter - good luck: they now need to find the mall office (and they better not need anything outside of M-F 9-5 hours).

I'm starting to think The Golden Age of MS has ended.
I can't imagine WHY Simon wouldn't want us. They're making money.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.