Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2016. The previous megathread is here.

The 2017 thread is here
Print Wikipost

Simon mall gift cards(2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2016, 10:11 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by CWAL
Budgeting Tool
I always write "Personal Use" as the reason. I think the SM rep may have been referring to an alleged e-mail that went out stating that they knew of the Bluebird shutdowns and wouldn't refund gift cards if buyers had purchased and were stuck with VGC inventory with no way to liquidate.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 7:49 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Exec, CITI Prestige, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold and all ever changing
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleconsumer View Post
"I don't know how to say this, but I would recommend that you check the blogs. We had one of our regulars come in a couple of weeks ago and buy $7K worth and then went to WMT [which is 3 min away] and was unable to spend them. He came back to use claiming the cards didn't have any money loaded on them, and we called the help line and thec ards were fine. WMT was blocking his spending. He came back here and asked me 'How am I going to pay my credit card?!'. "

SMH...

This is, part of the many reasons, we can't have nice things.
+1
I don't usually post, but this takes the cake. Even my pre teen know better.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by littleconsumer
It's been a long while since I've bothered buying VGCs at 1X points, but I needed to meet min spend on 3 cards in a short amount of time, so I went to SM yesterday and today.

Yesterday I purchased $2K, and the entire transaction was what you would expect.

Today I went and there was a different employee working. She asked how many GC's I wanted, and then asked me if I wanted $500 on each (I didn't tell her the amount).

She then told me "I'm going to ask you some personal questions so bear with me. I nod. She then asks me if I'm purchasing the cards to load on Bluebird. I honestly don't really care if I couldn't purchase VGCs from this location again so I said yes. She then beats around the bush and says the following:

"I don't know how to say this, but I would recommend that you check the blogs. We had one of our regulars come in a couple of weeks ago and buy $7K worth and then went to WMT [which is 3 min away] and was unable to spend them. He came back to use claiming the cards didn't have any money loaded on them, and we called the help line and thec ards were fine. WMT was blocking his spending. He came back here and asked me 'How am I going to pay my credit card?!'. "

She then goes on to tell me how she feels bad for the customer blah blah blah.

I know we have some idiots among us but this takes the cake. This is about on par with the people that view MS as an unalienable right.

FWIW I did have to fill out the form which asked how I was using the VGC's. In hindsight I should have put "MS" but opted for "spending".
There actually have been a couple times where my VGCs were "dead cards" as in the mag stripe probably didn't program through correctly.

The funds were allocated to the card number, but the PIN did not register through and would never fully authorize. Works as credit, though...

Said buyer may have encountered this issue.

I've personally encountered a few duds, especially during the holidays. Maybe it was swiped too fast or swiped inaccurately - who knows.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 8:37 am

Programs: Several dozen
MS is an unalienable right! Ain't you ever heard of the 10th Amendment? MS is one of the powers reserved to the people since it is not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States.

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

As Sir Robert Marley said "Get up, stand up: stand up for your rights!

Originally Posted by littleconsumer
...I know we have some idiots among us but this takes the cake. This is about on par with the people that view MS as an unalienable right....
Old Jan 26, 2016, 10:48 am

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy

As Sir Robert Marley said "Get up, stand up: stand up for your rights!
Also, those of you fighting AMEX, your local clueless grocery manager, etc...Don't give up the fight!
Old Jan 27, 2016, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by mc0107
CS rep told me today that Simon no longer accepts CCs that have a name printed twice. I explained that my card is for a sole proprietorship and she angrily insisted that she did not want to violate a Simon rule and get fired. Then she told me unless she could independently verify that my name was actually a business, such as checking a company website, she couldn't do it. I told her that the CC company already verified the legitimacy of my business then walked away.
Same here in MD. Went to buy $3K VGC recently with my wife's new INK+ at the kiosk where the CSR knows us from regular purchases. The system vomited some sort of error code when we swiped card. Manager was called, who also knows us, and upon arrival and looking at the card we were using, told us no Business card can be used for a personal VGC purchase. We are required to have a business account.

This was not the case last Fall when I used my Ink+, so must be something fairly new.

Also, there will be those here who will reply that they have no problem using their business card for personal purchase. Hence...wait for it........wait for it.........YMMV.

Old Jan 27, 2016, 12:47 pm

I haven't bought Simons in a while. Are people still able to buy the $10K limit/day?
Old Jan 27, 2016, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
I haven't bought Simons in a while. Are people still able to buy the $10K limit/day?
I am able to. I was told on Tues. that I could only use one cc.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by Chelski
My barc AA aviator was general merchandise purchase .. Not CA
I did a purchase with Barclays Aviator about a week ago, and it was general merchandise as well, not CA.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
3 of last 5 days
Old Jan 28, 2016, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by Jesusdyd4u
Same here in MD. Went to buy $3K VGC recently with my wife's new INK+ at the kiosk where the CSR knows us from regular purchases. The system vomited some sort of error code when we swiped card. Manager was called, who also knows us, and upon arrival and looking at the card we were using, told us no Business card can be used for a personal VGC purchase. We are required to have a business account.

This was not the case last Fall when I used my Ink+, so must be something fairly new.

Also, there will be those here who will reply that they have no problem using their business card for personal purchase. Hence...wait for it........wait for it.........YMMV.

Why were you shopping at Simon with the Ink?
Old Jan 28, 2016, 8:40 am

Probably trying to meet spend for the 50k sign up bonus.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by compddd
Probably trying to meet spend for the 50k sign up bonus.
Why not 5x your way there?
Old Jan 28, 2016, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by macrophage
Why not 5x your way there?
$200 GCs, if you can find them in stock, are a pain to deal with.

Not everyone is interested in maximum profit no matter what. Convenience is a factor.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
$200 GCs, if you can find them in stock, are a pain to deal with.

Not everyone is interested in maximum profit no matter what. Convenience is a factor.
I hate less than $500 except the SM topper card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.