Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2016. The previous megathread is here.

The 2017 thread is here
Print Wikipost

Simon mall gift cards(2016)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2016, 9:15 am

All the Simons I've been to always had the two options: Visa or AMEX. For the majority of us, we PREFER to VISA due to PIN functionality.

AMEX GCs are marketed for the AMEX name and that alone - "oh i'm paying with AMEX"

No signs of VISA going away at my local mall.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 3:51 pm

Anyone else seeing the $2 Critical Mail option on the website no longer available?
Old Feb 8, 2016, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by macrophage
Why were you shopping at Simon with the Ink?
Last week, I purchased $1,000 (2 VGCs at $500 each). I used 2 different credit cards:

Chase Ink (its shows my name and business name (my wife's name) on the card)
Chase Hyatt

I showed my driver's license when asked. No issues...no problem.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:04 am

Unloading Simon GC at Walmart on Amex Serve

Today I went to walmart to unload my Simon GCs on Serve. As soon as I tried swiping my card, she saw the GC and said you cannot use GCs for loading. I said I have done it several times. She kept saying you cannot use GCs. Then she asked another cashier and she said the same. I just walked out.

Has anything changed at Walmart? Or did I just get 2 non cooperative cashiers? Should I try again?
Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:08 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by rbaustin
Today I went to walmart to unload my Simon GCs on Serve. As soon as I tried swiping my card, she saw the GC and said you cannot use GCs for loading. I said I have done it several times. She kept saying you cannot use GCs. Then she asked another cashier and she said the same. I just walked out.

Has anything changed at Walmart? Or did I just get 2 non cooperative cashiers? Should I try again?
As mentioned time and time again, do NOT condone that you are using a gift card. Say that it's a debit card. If they insist on seeing it, have a real debit card on hand to swap. Or just walk away. This is quite known to be the "policy". Just some cashiers/stores don't know/care. Some take it to bigger extremes than others.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:10 am

Dude seriously is tats a question? How some guys want all the points and don't want to take little effort to read thru the thread. 1st rule of MS is YMMV.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:12 am

Don't go back to that store. You don't want to mess up your relationship with the cashiers just because of this incident. It will just shine a negative light on you the next time you try to pull the same thing there.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 9:05 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
If you want to be remembered call attention to yourself stupid
Old Feb 9, 2016, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by cdancer20
As mentioned time and time again, do NOT condone that you are using a gift card. Say that it's a debit card. If they insist on seeing it, have a real debit card on hand to swap. Or just walk away. This is quite known to be the "policy". Just some cashiers/stores don't know/care. Some take it to bigger extremes than others.
Hmm... Alright. Will go to FD. The only thing with FD is that I can unload only $500 in a day.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by satman40
If you want to be remembered call attention to yourself stupid
Wow, that's kind of harsh. I have heard and seen people do way worse. I'm not even sure his actions were totally wrong. There have been many times I pushed the CSR a little and was able to persuade them to process my MO, BP or whatever. What I'm looking for is a firm no. If I get that, I leave. No arguments. That's what it sounds like he did.

Now the next smart move is to avoid those CSR's if he returns to that WM. He can try going at different times, different days, etc and try again.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by mittenfingerz
Wow, that's kind of harsh. I have heard and seen people do way worse. I'm not even sure his actions were totally wrong. There have been many times I pushed the CSR a little and was able to persuade them to process my MO, BP or whatever. What I'm looking for is a firm no. If I get that, I leave. No arguments. That's what it sounds like he did.

Now the next smart move is to avoid those CSR's if he returns to that WM. He can try going at different times, different days, etc and try again.
Yeah... I will try to go there again this afternoon and get in line only if the csr is different than the morning one. WM is just 3 minutes drive for me. If it doesn't work out, then just go to FD which is about 15 minute drive.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 11:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold, Marriott Silver, Choice Privileges Gold, National Exec
Our local SM definitely refers to MSers as "Gamers" now...which I find hilarious. They don't even try to hide it.

The last 2 times I went in (last time being yesterday) the rep that I've seen many times before called the manager like he always does to let them know I was purchasing 10x500. He literally says over the phone "Uh hey...we have a gamer here trying to purchase $5K in GCs. I see him all the time so I'm sure he's good."

So I, of course, engaged him in conversation and said "oh is that what you call us now?" and he says "yeah because you guys game the system. I haven't figured out what you do exactly yet though." The conversation was in a funny, laughable tone...nothing serious. I told him "I don't care what you call me as long as you keep selling me these cards"

They even have a "Daily Gamer Log" now where they write your name down and list how much you purchased, and they have to signature with their initials so they know who sold them!
Old Feb 9, 2016, 11:24 am

Yeah... I will try to go there again this afternoon and get in line only if the csr is different than the morning one. WM is just 3 minutes drive for me. If it doesn't work out, then just go to FD which is about 15 minute drive.
M sry man for my harsh comment above. I went through ur other posts in this forum and I just want to tell you, FT is not a SCHOOL but consider it a Public Library. Just do ur research and find soultions. And if u get stuck finding some info ask for help. I hope that helps. Cheers!!
Old Feb 9, 2016, 11:29 am

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by Nevafazeme
Our local SM definitely refers to MSers as "Gamers" now...which I find hilarious. They don't even try to hide it.

The last 2 times I went in (last time being yesterday) the rep that I've seen many times before called the manager like he always does to let them know I was purchasing 10x500. He literally says over the phone "Uh hey...we have a gamer here trying to purchase $5K in GCs. I see him all the time so I'm sure he's good."

So I, of course, engaged him in conversation and said "oh is that what you call us now?" and he says "yeah because you guys game the system. I haven't figured out what you do exactly yet though." The conversation was in a funny, laughable tone...nothing serious. I told him "I don't care what you call me as long as you keep selling me these cards"

They even have a "Daily Gamer Log" now where they write your name down and list how much you purchased, and they have to signature with their initials so they know who sold them!
They haven't figured out how we do this, yet they call it gaming? I would have feigned ignorance and asked straight up what exactly is being gamed. It's not professional on their end to accuse customers of anything, especially since this particular person has no idea what it is you even do.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by anubond005
M sry man for my harsh comment above. I went through ur other posts in this forum and I just want to tell you, FT is not a SCHOOL but consider it a Public Library. Just do ur research and find soultions. And if u get stuck finding some info ask for help. I hope that helps. Cheers!!
Thats alright. I just took the important thing from that comment and ignored the junk.
Regardless, I went to WM again and there was another csr. She did not even care what I used to pay. I first did 1 X $500. Once that was processed, I asked can I add more funds. Then swipped another $500 card and I was out! Then went back to Simon to buy $2k GCs and unloaded 1 X $500 at FD. Came back to my computer and immediately did bill pays to several credit card accounts. Tomorrow I will repeat the cycle. Just trying to meet minimum spend to get bonus points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.