Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2016. The previous megathread is here.

The 2017 thread is here
Print Wikipost

Simon mall gift cards(2016)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2016, 11:15 am

Sounds like it was just a couple isolated incidents. I'm going to buy a few thousand tomorrow with SPG Business.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Almost always use multiple cards in single transaction. Never saw the above scenario - all were purchases even at pending stage.

IIRC it happened on one day in January on multiple issuers' cards on both coasts. That incidence was due to Simon's payment processor (Chase) somehow that day coded the transactions as CA. My friend was spared because her card CA limit was much below what she bought. Another FTer not so fortunate. (CapOne cards, and were reported on FT.)

The current occurrences are of very different nature - it is card specific, primarily it is Barclays' cards. Though I believe I read about other cards too. It has never been self-fixed. People incurred several hundreds of cash advance fee, even though their cash limits were set below the amount they purchased, Barclays' system let it thru and of course they incurred the sizable fees.

all Cap 1 cards including the Venture & Spark show as CA for Simon VGCs? TIA
Old Feb 17, 2016, 11:49 am

today, had 19k in simon cards and went through about 20 of them at WM with most being declined (tender not allowed)

weird thing is that some of the ones that were declined ended up working after swiped a second time. ended up walking out with 2k MO but gave up bc I was getting too many declines over successes
Old Feb 17, 2016, 11:51 am

today, had 19k in simon cards and went through about 20 of them at WM with most being declined (tender not allowed)

weird thing is that some of the ones that were declined ended up working after swiped a second time. ended up walking out with 2k MO but gave up bc I was getting too many declines over successes
Old Feb 17, 2016, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by macrophage
I've read of some isolated incidents where some VGCs purchased from Simon do not work in a batch or come with degraded mag stripes. I've experienced one-off cards in a daily purchase not working.

Today's purchase has 0 working cards. They have money on them when I check the balance online. They Swipe as the terminal reads the card and prompts for my PIN.

They do not process/authorize though... This is the first time many of my cards have experienced this in a day. I didn't have the time to test all the cards, but most likely, my entire order today is full of bogeys.

Anyone else experience this before? What was the resolution? Feel free to PM if you would like to discuss more details.
Go to MO at Walmart thread you will see the issues started sometime yesterday. It showed up in several forms - Debit not Available, Timed out, are the most common. And cards processed as credit cards (but still worked, strangely). Not just Simon's but other cards as well. It might be issue in WMT's processing network.

I have a SGC bought yesterday that failed the PIN 3 times then the card is locked up. At the end I reported the card being lost thru the number at the back of the card. Full value was on the card when I called, just a few hours after purchase. Blackhawk call center rep at El Salvador blocked the card, took down name and address then said a replacement card would be sent in 7 to 10 biz days with no fee to me. No case number available, only rep's name and ID. Though I imagine because each card has unique number, they can pull up the card file via the card number easily. Existing card number shows as invalid on Simongiftcard site after the call. I will now patiently wait for the replacement card.

Last edited by Happy; Feb 17, 2016 at 12:06 pm
Old Feb 17, 2016, 12:21 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Having trouble getting MO, W Blackhawk SMGC, card works fine for other purchases..Beware of Blackhawk bank, for MO.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Go to MO at Walmart thread you will see the issues started sometime yesterday. It showed up in several forms - Debit not Available, Timed out, are the most common. And cards processed as credit cards (but still worked, strangely). Not just Simon's but other cards as well. It might be issue in WMT's processing network.

I have a SGC bought yesterday that failed the PIN 3 times then the card is locked up. At the end I reported the card being lost thru the number at the back of the card. Full value was on the card when I called, just a few hours after purchase. Blackhawk call center rep at El Salvador blocked the card, took down name and address then said a replacement card would be sent in 7 to 10 biz days with no fee to me. No case number available, only rep's name and ID. Though I imagine because each card has unique number, they can pull up the card file via the card number easily. Existing card number shows as invalid on Simongiftcard site after the call. I will now patiently wait for the replacement card.
Thanks - found that thread too.

Calling in to say card lost helps somehow... because they mail you a new card with your name embossed on it. Can use that at other places where they want your name on it (possibly, YMMV as usual).
Old Feb 17, 2016, 12:46 pm

Plowed through a bunch of Simon cards the last few days, no issues at all.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by danhouston
I have no idea which Cap 1, but apparently the person who had that experiences in that single day in January had more than 1 Cap 1 cards. Again, it was only on one day in January. The other person I personally knew used a Citi card when was declined because the CA limit was below what she was buying, on that same day in January.

You need to differentiate what happened in January and what happens NOW. 2 very different nature.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 1:55 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Bought 2K in Simon Cards today and only 2 of the 6 work at Walmart... Kinda freaking out about what to do now...
Old Feb 17, 2016, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Mcdonoughdr
Bought 2K in Simon Cards today and only 2 of the 6 work at Walmart... Kinda freaking out about what to do now...
MO, or KATE?
Old Feb 17, 2016, 1:59 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mjgrazi
MO, or KATE?
Kate and a register, no MO just normal reloads onto Serve
Old Feb 17, 2016, 2:10 pm

Tried to buy 4x$500 Simon VGCs today with my new Citi AA Platinum card. I used it yesterday to buy 2x$500 without a problem. However, I set the cash limit to $750 in the morning after reading FM's article. The transaction was declined. Now waiting to see if the transaction yesterday will be posted as purchase or CA.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by danhouston
Cap1 ok as of last Fri. 2-12
Old Feb 17, 2016, 2:39 pm

Macro: did u swipe upwards? Any issue I've had has been resolvable at the same terminal. Just gotta get out the bag of tie ks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.