Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Simon mall gift card(2014-2015)

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2014, 12:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Question Simon mall gift card(2014-2015)

Has anyone experienced this? I went there last Saturday to buy VGC of 500$x5. The one at the customer service asked me to fill a form including my address/name saying it is a anti-fraud practice. I did it once in the past with the same amount but no forms was needed. She appears to recognize me though.

Will the form negatively affect me?
Old May 20, 2014, 12:39 am

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
No. It's just for record keeping.
Just like Office Depot, Staples etc would do.
Old May 20, 2014, 7:08 am

I had the same thing happen to me. No big deal, wouldn't worry too much about it.
Old May 20, 2014, 7:21 am

Under 3000, you do not have to fill the form out.
Daily limit of 10000.
Each representative only carry 20GC (US VISA)

Purpose of those from to prevent fraudulent charges. (Since SSN is not written down, nothing to worry about)
Old May 20, 2014, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by URrunner
Under 3000, you do not have to fill the form out.
Daily limit of 10000.
Each representative only carry 20GC (US VISA)

Purpose of those from to prevent fraudulent charges. (Since SSN is not written down, nothing to worry about)
That's not necessarily true. All of the malls are different. I've filled out the forms for $1000 purchases.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 9:58 am

I was told that they require it for 5k+

They have a different policy in different locations.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 2:43 pm

I had to do the form for $2K.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
I have to fill out for $500 or more, so it's pretty much unavoidable. Considering contacting a manager to buy as a business instead of an individual.

Anybody done that before?
Old Jun 1, 2014, 6:50 pm

Programs: Delta P, SPG G, Marriott S, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sechs
I have to fill out for $500 or more, so it's pretty much unavoidable. Considering contacting a manager to buy as a business instead of an individual.

Anybody done that before?
And that means even more paperwork.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 9:31 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS
Originally Posted by jorge18
That's not necessarily true. All of the malls are different. I've filled out the forms for $1000 purchases.
As have I. Much depends on what their previous history for selling gift cards is, I think. In my case, there were 2 CVS stores within a mile of the SM, that all of a sudden saw GC sales go from nothing to thousands a day.

Last edited by ceverett; Jun 2, 2014 at 7:23 am
Old Jun 2, 2014, 9:18 am

Simon mall gift card - filling forms

I'm curious as to why you guys buy gc's here as there isn't a 5% earnings CC on these purchases? I know the purchase fee is only 2.95. I'm sure I'm missing something though.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by subdawg
I'm curious as to why you guys buy gc's here as there isn't a 5% earnings CC on these purchases? I know the purchase fee is only 2.95. I'm sure I'm missing something though.
I used for minimum spend on my AA Executive card. Have also used for 2% on my Fidelity Amex. Plus the purchase fee at my local SM is even less than $2.95
Old Jun 2, 2014, 12:05 pm

Programs: Delta P, SPG G, Marriott S, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by subdawg
For the people who live close by, and do not care about the earnings, and as others said, doing it for the minimum spend at low cost, this is a good strategy.

However, if you have to drive out of your way to the mall, and want to earn rewards, this is a complete waste of time regularly.

Then you are also dealing with other risks of shopping at the malls, extra paperwork, security and the fact that you have to call in out change pins.....much more pain in the butt than regular gc you buy elsewhere.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
Originally Posted by maksimfa
And that means even more paperwork.
This being the only Simon mall in the area, I'm sure that they get hammered (thus the paperwork requirement). I figure becoming a known regular buyer would work better than just being someone who comes in and randomly buys a lot.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 6:08 pm

Programs: Delta PM | US PP | Hilton Gold
Because it cost me $118 to fly anywhere in the Cont US round trip with my mileage earning credit card. :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.