Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Simon mall gift card(2014-2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2014, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by bribro
Happens to me as well. You can call Citi and have them manually remove the temp auth charges. I was told they will drop off in ~30 days automatically.
That is strange. I'm not being billed for it either. I've read other threads where temp auth charges take forever to fall off but I didn't think it also meant I wouldn't be billed for it.

I also used a Barclay card yesterday for some of these and it's still "temp auth" but too soon to know how long it will stay temp.

If I do decide to use this for the Exec spend I'll have to make sure I can control when the charges hit. I'll call later in the week after my bill closes to see if I can get them manually removed. Second time in my life *I* got to take advantage of float! Thanks.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 8:23 pm

I noticed today that a SSN and DOB is required to buy one of these online
Old Jun 30, 2014, 10:52 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Has anyone bought the USB VGCs labeled "Rewardcard"? I've only ever used the "Blue Wave" and was curious if anyone has experience with them. PM if you'd prefer.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 11:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
Originally Posted by annhedonia
That is strange. I'm not being billed for it either. I've read other threads where temp auth charges take forever to fall off but I didn't think it also meant I wouldn't be billed for it.

I also used a Barclay card yesterday for some of these and it's still "temp auth" but too soon to know how long it will stay temp.

If I do decide to use this for the Exec spend I'll have to make sure I can control when the charges hit. I'll call later in the week after my bill closes to see if I can get them manually removed. Second time in my life *I* got to take advantage of float! Thanks.
I was just reading your post again and realized we may not be on the same page. At least in my area, when you buy SGCs they will call in to preauthorize any GC purchase exceeding $500. So, if you buy 2x$500 you get one temp charge of $1,005.90 for the preauth and another charge of $1,005.90 for the actual purchase. This results in having 2x your purchase amount being tied up. The actual purchase tends to clear in 2-3 days, but the temp auth charges seem to hang around for a long time (~30 days according to one Citi CSR). You can call to manually remove the temp auth charges if you explain to Citi that they were duplicative preauthorization charges.

Something similar happens at some office supply stores that call to preauthorization "large" GC purchases.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 12:43 am
Suspended

Dammit, wish I had access to these. My local malls only sell the AMEX. You guys are lucky to have the option while it lasts.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 10:10 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by nova08
I noticed today that a SSN and DOB is required to buy one of these online
Any issues other than that with buying online? I'm thinking of just buying one for a small amount to test at Kate before ramping up. My local mall only sells the AMEX cards.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 12:42 pm

Programs: CarlsonGold,HHDiamond, SPGGold,ChoiceGold, *Silver, WNCompanionPass, ASMVPGold, HyattDiamond,IHGPlat
I'm gonna try to buy some with AGC tomorrow.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 12:46 pm
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
Originally Posted by f0xx
Those damn blogs !!!!!

lol
so do you love blogs or hate em? cant tell... too many mixed messages
Old Jul 1, 2014, 12:59 pm

I was testing so I bought 1x$500 w/Citi, no Simon authorization. I only had one temp auth. charge on my card (no duplicate temp *charge*) and that finally fell off today-- 1 week.
Sunday I bought 2x$500 ($502.95 x2) on Barclay's and since it was a new CC I was worried--over worried, probably--about a fraud alert over $1K so I had him run it as two-$502.95 charges. The two separate charges are still sitting there as temp auth.--on Barclay US Air-- but it's only been since Sunday.
Had to show ID only both times, reps are friendly and clueless. First one let me pay fee w/cash, second said I couldn't. They're college students, I'm a senior--lots of fun social engineering. I'm very curious when triggers will kick in--authorization or paperwork. I think what this demonstrates, though, is that Simon is slow to process charges.

Not sure if I'll ramp up other than for min. spends because draining is a bit of a hassle and I can't find any other place to buy $500 GC w/CC--to try other methods - and $200 is way too much of a hassle for me. Don't want to go cards by mail or AFT Thanks again for information.
Originally Posted by bribro
I was just reading your post again and realized we may not be on the same page. At least in my area, when you buy SGCs they will call in to preauthorize any GC purchase exceeding $500. So, if you buy 2x$500 you get one temp charge of $1,005.90 for the preauth and another charge of $1,005.90 for the actual purchase. This results in having 2x your purchase amount being tied up. The actual purchase tends to clear in 2-3 days, but the temp auth charges seem to hang around for a long time (~30 days according to one Citi CSR). You can call to manually remove the temp auth charges if you explain to Citi that they were duplicative preauthorization charges.

Something similar happens at some office supply stores that call to preauthorization "large" GC purchases.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by RamboAroundTheWorld
Dammit, wish I had access to these. My local malls only sell the AMEX. You guys are lucky to have the option while it lasts.
It's Karma making up for the fact that dope dealers and CC fraudsters have dried up all other sources of GC purchase w/CC in my area! I need some kind of break

Lord help me I sometimes think it's easier for someone with blanks, stolen CC #s and other equipment to get a gift card with CC than it is for poor lil 'ol MS me.

I sometimes fantasize about going to the local medical marijuana (MM)club and selling them gift cards for cash since they can't use banks and have to get really creative. Sure would be a good partnership--MM & MS--what's not to like?
Old Jul 1, 2014, 1:27 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by FTRox87
so do you love blogs or hate em? cant tell... too many mixed messages
That sarcasm.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by RJP3
Originally Posted by kingrat
** Could Only impact you if you use a gift card **

Went to my local Simon mall where I know everyone and everyone knows me, sort of like cheers but without the alcohol and I bought 2k and yes without any paperwork but more to the story they now want ID and the card to swipe themselves instead of you swiping it themselves and the guy working said new policy because people are using giftcards and they will no longer accept them or cards without your name being listed on it.
Thought you could use a few of these:

, , , ,

. . . .

; ; ; ;

Feel free to download them to your computer; I've got plenty.

Old Jul 1, 2014, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by annhedonia
Sunday I bought 2x$500 ($502.95 x2) on Barclay's and since it was a new CC I was worried--over worried, probably--about a fraud alert over $1K so I had him run it as two-$502.95 charges.
Two $502.95 transactions is about 1000x more likely to generate a fraud alert than something over $1k. Theory is a thief is likely to buy the same increment multiple times up until the card is maxed out.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by MileageGoblin
Two $502.95 transactions is about 1000x more likely to generate a fraud alert than something over $1k. Theory is a thief is likely to buy the same increment multiple times up until the card is maxed out.
Dawned on me when I got home, duh--although--depends on algorithms--how many $502.95s does it take for fraud I was chary of $1000 on new card, just didn't want it declined because it was so frickin' hot I didn't want to have to do it another day. Leave and learn but I read soooo many conflicting things here.

Thanks for your input!
Old Jul 1, 2014, 7:45 pm

Is it safe to buy SC with cc by Citi, Wells Fargo, and Barclays?
And who is an issuer of these? I mean they can be loaded onto BB, right?
Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.