Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2016. The previous megathread is here.

The 2017 thread is here
Print Wikipost

Simon mall gift cards(2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2016, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
What's odd to me is that the cards were declined but not locked.
I think it might have to do with how the cashier key in the sale. I have tender not allowed sometimes but worked other times with same WM. The WM thread have discussion on this if you are curious.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
May be the WM POS now is hardcoded not take CC for Gebits?

All WMTs here the POS do not take CC for Gebit. Hard-coded.
I used another card successfully both times, so that's not it. I'll try one of the cards again at WM just to see.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by Lucky888
Bought alot today on CC.

Are you sure it's hard coded? What's your sample size?
I think it's location-dependent. My local WM is also hard coded to disallow CC for VGC. In that WM, the POS actually asks for signature (meaning CC issuer actually approved the charge) and then it spits out a little slip with an error message.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 4:09 pm

Ominous???

GC Desk at Mall shut today ...sign said nationwide system update.

Happened last night at Macerich as well. Nationwide. Employees had no notice. My kiosk girl tried ten times before calling her boss, who telephoned me this morning apologetically

Anyone worried that this is the last straw?? Or am I Chicken Little?
Old Jan 20, 2016, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by chalucky

Happened last night at Macerich as well. Nationwide. Employees had no notice. My kiosk girl tried ten times before calling her boss, who telephoned me this morning apologetically

I bought $6K in SImon GCs at Simon Mall this morning. Business as usual.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by chalucky

I've had that happen before a couple times, I go and the system is being updated, etc

I just go back a different day when it's back up.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Zgirl
I bought $6K in SImon GCs at Simon Mall this morning. Business as usual.
I did $3k after work tonight. Same old, same old.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by kenbks
I think it's location-dependent. My local WM is also hard coded to disallow CC for VGC. In that WM, the POS actually asks for signature (meaning CC issuer actually approved the charge) and then it spits out a little slip with an error message.
This has happened to me also , but i was trying to purchase 2 500$ gift card in a single transaction. It didnt allow me.

Next time tried with 1 500$ per transaction, successfully went thru. May be give a try like 1 500 $ per transaction
Old Jan 20, 2016, 9:25 pm

Man people are jumpy in here! Serve and Safeway shutdowns were a doozy.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kenbks
When they first changed to hard-coded, all regular and superstores stopped working but at neighborhood stores swipe cards would still work occasionally despite chip card failed 100%. Then the swipe cards also stopped working. Tender not allowed. That was many months ago shortly before WMT POS changed to EMV card enabled. Ancient history really.

Originally Posted by kingofkingsforu
This has happened to me also , but i was trying to purchase 2 500$ gift card in a single transaction. It didnt allow me.

Next time tried with 1 500$ per transaction, successfully went thru. May be give a try like 1 500 $ per transaction
Local WMTs have never allowed more than 1 $500 to be bought in same transaction long before the POS changed to hard coded. What you mentioned is not the reason the transaction failed - the message I got is Tender Not Allowed.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:40 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Another data point to add.
After closing the information desk at the local Simon mall, the card purchases were transferred to the mall office. Their original hours were M-F 8:30-5:30 and Sat 12-5. Today I found out that they will only sell gift cards from 11 AM to 5:30 PM (probably closed for lunch 12-1).

So another way to limit sales of SMGCs by simply limiting the hours one can buy them. Anyone with a day job is going to be hard pressed (unless they live nearby) to take time out of their work day to purchase these cards. Which will leave only Sat to do so.
Bummer.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 9:18 am

I've been dealing with that since I started simon last year. My simon has always been like that. I wished there was a simon where I can go anytime and getting free chocolate like other people have posted.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by Fly1Away1
I've been dealing with that since I started simon last year. My simon has always been like that. I wished there was a simon where I can go anytime and getting free chocolate like other people have posted.
I have mints/drops at mine.

Over the holidays they had Godiva chocolates and bottled waters.

Now there's nothing. Maybe I'll make a push for something just for me!
Old Jan 21, 2016, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by macrophage
I have mints/drops at mine.

Over the holidays they had Godiva chocolates and bottled waters.

Now there's nothing. Maybe I'll make a push for something just for me!
The mints are OK, but I'd love chocolates -- there's a Lindt outlet store, so it would be easy for them to do. We got hot cocoa over the holidays, though.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 10:18 am

No chocolates or mints here, but they give me little gift boxes that go in the trash--- other then a tin that had sleeves for CCs. :P

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.