FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Serve - Another Paypal/Amazon payments (2015) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1644834-serve-another-paypal-amazon-payments-2015-a.html)

nfpa70e Aug 29, 2015 10:29 pm

I have read the wiki, the information keeps changing; I thought you can have only one Serve card, how come people are able to have multiple serve cards?

2nd, where can you buy gift cards to load it to serve? Can you buy VGC in Walmart and load it there?

To your first question if you mean online, no,
What about american express CC linking to your online serve account?

Phantom707 Aug 29, 2015 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by jaggudada11 (Post 25349272)
I have read the wiki, the information keeps changing; I thought you can have only one Serve card, how come people are able to have multiple serve cards?

2nd, where can you buy gift cards to load it to serve? Can you buy VGC in Walmart and load it there?

What about american express CC linking to your online serve account?

The only currently legitimate way to get multiple Serve cards is to use the social security numbers of other people, such as friends and/or family.

Anywhere that sells VGC with a PIN that are not Vanilla brand. Yes, the cards in Walmart work. Make sure that they are issued by Sunrise Bank if you get them in Walmart because they also sell Vanilla.

Please don't be stupid by immediately opening the VGC from the packaging and then asking to load your Serve card right in front of the cashier. Return to your car or something to open the card and then go back inside the store.

Yes, you can link an American Express credit card to load Serve online. If it's a card issued by Amex, then it will allow you to meet minimum spend but not earn points. If it's issued by another bank, it should earn points.

sechs Aug 30, 2015 12:11 am

Originally Posted by jaggudada11 (Post 25349272)
I have read the wiki, the information keeps changing

You apparently have not read the wiki as the information does not keep changing.

If you're expecting to get spoon-fed information, you're just going to piss a lot of people off. Do your research.

nfpa70e Aug 30, 2015 6:04 am

Originally Posted by Phantom707 (Post 25349428)

Yes, you can link an American Express credit card to load Serve online. If it's a card issued by Amex, then it will allow you to meet minimum spend but not earn points. If it's issued by another bank, it should earn points.

Thanks Phantom

It seems like those who know this stuff answer properly, those who don't let them keep pissing in the pants. Better ignored.

In your serve account, you can link debit card, credit card. From April 2015 on wards, Serve has stopped linking 3rd party CCs. You have already answered that you can link AMEX network card online and use that towards 1K spending, you won't get any points but you can use that towards Min Spending.

How about the debit card with the PIN? Can you buy it in store and unload that online to your serve account? without having to go through Walmart register or KATE?

If it's issued by another bank, it should earn points
I don't think you can link card issued by another bank.

Mamibear Aug 30, 2015 6:25 am

Originally Posted by jaggudada11 (Post 25350073)
How about the debit card with the PIN? Can you buy it in store and unload that online to your serve account? without having to go through Walmart register or KATE?

do NOT even try it or you'll get flagged. even if you register the dift card and make it appear like a regular DC issued by your bank, the numbers alone will reveal what it is so just load them in-store, either at WM or FD.

czech99 Aug 30, 2015 5:18 pm

Hi I was hoping to get some clarity on some verbiage. I use to have a serve account but closed it back in April/may. I just opened a new account again since it didn't have my old account info.

Anyways I just got the Amex 100k miles on 3k spend. So I know filling up your server account using your Amex counts against your min spend but people say you don't get points. Does that mean I will get my promo points after my min spend but anything besides that I won't get any points after? Is that right ?

Last question is can a serve account act like a checking acct? I can only pay my rent via checking. It auto withdrawals it. Is that possible with the serve account? Trying to figure out best way to use the 3k or give it back to myself. If I withdrew it all slowly in a month or 2 would that work?

Phantom707 Aug 30, 2015 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by jaggudada11 (Post 25350073)
Thanks Phantom

It seems like those who know this stuff answer properly, those who don't let them keep pissing in the pants. Better ignored.

In your serve account, you can link debit card, credit card. From April 2015 on wards, Serve has stopped linking 3rd party CCs. You have already answered that you can link AMEX network card online and use that towards 1K spending, you won't get any points but you can use that towards Min Spending.

I don't think you can link card issued by another bank.

As Mami Bear said, don't even try linking it online.

Your comment on not being able to link s card issued by another bank is actually quite annoying to me. It shows that you have a presupposition, which is completely fine. What's not fine is the air with which you show such supposition, that you are right and I'm wrong.

I don't think you understand the difference between the card issuing bank and the payment network. The difference is huge for the purposes of Serve. I'm mobile so can't type properly, but suffice it to say you are wrong.

To the other poster, I can't quite multiple because I'm mobile, but Serve can work for receiving deposits, but you cannot pull funds out of it in the way you would with a traditional checking account. Pulls fail. You can use Serve to send a check in the mail or to withdraw to a real checking account, but you cannot have an external site pull funds.

dereckxu2014 Aug 30, 2015 7:19 pm

loaded at FD today and they charged me $3.95 for every 500 load. I believe it is because we have the new blue serve which does not offer free reloads. However, I was able to load $2000 at the same FD.

Phantom707 Aug 30, 2015 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by dereckxu2014 (Post 25352919)
loaded at FD today and they charged me $3.95 for every 500 load. I believe it is because we have the new blue serve which does not offer free reloads. However, I was able to load $2000 at the same FD.

That's cool. Was it all at the same time, or did you come back later in the day? Also, was it not possible to split tender?

dereckxu2014 Aug 30, 2015 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by Phantom707 (Post 25353068)
That's cool. Was it all at the same time, or did you come back later in the day? Also, was it not possible to split tender?

loaded $1000 first and used too $500 vgc to pay plus my bank debit card for the 3.95 fee. Come back later to load another 1000 in about one hour. The manager said she is not aware of any store limits. She can load as many as I prefer as long as the system takes it.

nfpa70e Aug 30, 2015 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by Phantom707 (Post 25352575)
What's not fine is the air with which you show such supposition, that you are right and I'm wrong.

On an internet you have no idea what I was supposing or not. I could have written, I thought, I don't believe.... etc etc, what is there to take offence to these little things instead of focusing on the substance. If I said I don't think you can link...does that mean I was proving you are WRONG and I'm RIGHT.

In my understanding, which could be totally wrong, I thought prior to April 2015, serve would let you link any credit card and load $200 per day. I did this several times, after 4/15, it is my understanding that you can only link Amex network credit cards.

Phantom707 Aug 30, 2015 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by jaggudada11 (Post 25353384)
On an internet you have no idea what I was supposing or not. I could have written, I thought, I don't believe.... etc etc, what is there to take offence to these little things instead of focusing on the substance. If I said I don't think you can link...does that mean I was proving you are WRONG and I'm RIGHT.

In my understanding, which could be totally wrong, I thought prior to April 2015, serve would let you link any credit card and load $200 per day. I did this several times, after 4/15, it is my understanding that you can only link Amex network credit cards.

You are completely correct that I can't know what you were thinking. I can only ever go off of what was in front of me, the text that you had typed. And that text, regardless of the intentions that you had behind it, communicated to me the idea that I was wrong. Just like if I overtly said I think Obama is cool while in my head I think otherwise, people who heard me can only base their understandings on what they heard outside my head. A person could be overly racist and actually be against racism in their head, but to everyone else, that person will appear as a racist. Your writing, independent of any intentions, communicated a specific message to me.

Anyways, I said this clearly in one of my previous messages. "Yes, you can link an American Express credit card to load Serve online. If it's a card issued by Amex, then it will allow you to meet minimum spend but not earn points. If it's issued by another bank, it should earn points."

Amex, the bank, issues credit cards. Those credit cards all run on the Amex network. Other banks, like Bank of America, Wells Fargo, Citi, etc., issue cards that also run on the Amex network. The former group are called first party Amex cards while the latter are third party. Both types can be used with Serve. First party cards will not earn points, but the transactions count towards minimum spend. Third party cards will earn points and have the transactions count towards minimum spend.

For example, I have a Fidelity Amex card. It's issued by Bank of America and runs on the Amex payment processing network. It earns points for Serve transactions. I also have an Amex Platinum. Serve transactions count towards minimum spend but do not earn points. That's what I mean by third party.

czech99 Aug 30, 2015 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by Phantom707 (Post 25353444)
I also have an Amex Platinum. Serve transactions count towards minimum spend but do not earn points. That's what I mean by third party.

do you mind clarifying this? So once you meet your minimum you still get your points, but anything else besides that you don't earn any, correct?

vwks2006 Aug 30, 2015 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by czech99 (Post 25353532)
do you mind clarifying this? So once you meet your minimum you still get your points, but anything else besides that you don't earn any, correct?

Meaning, it counts for sign up bonus but that's it.. no rewards on the "spend".

nfpa70e Aug 30, 2015 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by Phantom707 (Post 25353444)

For example, I have a Fidelity Amex card. It's issued by Bank of America and runs on the Amex payment processing network. It earns points for Serve transactions. I also have an Amex Platinum. Serve transactions count towards minimum spend but do not earn points. That's what I mean by third party.

Fair enough, I have seen people waste so much time on nonsensical things. Unless the tone is direct snarky, one should not assume anything.

Clearly there is different understanding. What I said was non-amex network credit cards can't be used to load the serve accounts. This is what I mean by 3rd party CCs for e.g. Chase VISA card will fall under this category.

Anyway, can you use amex network CC to link and load online, $200 per day, $1000 maximum per month? or even this shouldn't be attempted.