FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Serve - Another Paypal/Amazon payments (2015) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1644834-serve-another-paypal-amazon-payments-2015-a.html)

Red259 Aug 26, 2015 5:52 pm

What is the best card to have linked to serve (the old version where I can run 1.5k a month) in terms of travel rewards/getting most back? I have my arrival+ card currently linked to my serve, but was wondering if another card may be better for point earning.

cdancer20 Aug 27, 2015 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Red259 (Post 25333026)
What is the best card to have linked to serve (the old version where I can run 1.5k a month) in terms of travel rewards/getting most back? I have my arrival+ card currently linked to my serve, but was wondering if another card may be better for point earning.

No one can directly answer that question for you. While they are recommended values, only you know how much you value points and where you want/need the most points.

skim Aug 27, 2015 10:46 am

Originally Posted by Red259 (Post 25333026)

I am in same boat as you -- ISIS Serve and arrival+ card. I wanted to switch to Chase Sapphire to earn Chase UR points, but decided not to mess with a good thing of easy online charging $1500/month and not wanting to deal with Serve authentication issues(emailing DL, monthly statements,..) !!

cdancer20 Aug 27, 2015 11:22 am

Originally Posted by skim (Post 25336675)
I am in same boat as you -- ISIS Serve and arrival+ card. I wanted to switch to Chase Sapphire to earn Chase UR points, but decided not to mess with a good thing of easy online charging $1500/month and not wanting to deal with Serve authentication issues(emailing DL, monthly statements,..) !!

Note that Chase cards also initially charge as CA. So you have to make sure you set the amount high enough to allow that to process.

Phantom707 Aug 27, 2015 11:58 am

Changing cards has been easy for me. After the initial upload of "other" documents (driver's license and such), you only ever need to upload a picture of the front of your new credit card. You can upload it a day before you start using the card, and it should be already allowed by then.

Red259 Aug 27, 2015 12:22 pm

I think I get more value out of the arrival+ at 2.2 cents per point (although that will eventually change and I don't know if I will keep the card beyond first year because of the changes). I do love chase URs. I was thinking that there may be some cards out there where you get extra benefits for crossing spend thresholds. The hilton reserve would give a free night at 10k spend, but it seems that would be a cash advance. I will probably switch my arrival to my citi premier card when I get it and use that to meet min spend at least.

michael_v Aug 27, 2015 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Red259 (Post 25337212)
I was thinking that there may be some cards out there where you get extra benefits for crossing spend thresholds.

No extra benefits per se, but I plan to continue to use Ink Plus to meet a possible retention offer spend threshold. In the past, I got 10,000 points (to offset annual fee) with $5,000 spend retention offer on Ink Plus/Bold cards, which I declined, but this time I think I will accept it since it is now much harder to get an Ink card.

Red259 Aug 27, 2015 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by michael_v (Post 25337284)
No extra benefits per se, but I plan to continue to use Ink Plus to meet a possible retention offer spend threshold. In the past, I got 10,000 points (to offset annual fee) with $5,000 spend retention offer on Ink Plus/Bold cards, which I declined, but this time I think I will accept it since it is now much harder to get an Ink card.

On my ink bold card they just waived the AF with no spend required. I want to get the ink plus, but I'm thinking it may be difficult to do now with all the changes they made to the bold. I would use serve on the ink card to help meet min spend.

Flyby01 Aug 27, 2015 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by Red259 (Post 25337212)
The hilton reserve would give a free night at 10k spend, but it seems that would be a cash advance.

deleted

Red259 Aug 27, 2015 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by Flyby01 (Post 25338269)
Not IME as of late.

Really? Have other people had this experience? Its a citi visa which according to the wiki would be a problem.

Flyby01 Aug 27, 2015 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by Red259 (Post 25338650)
Really? Have other people had this experience? Its a citi visa which according to the wiki would be a problem.

Sorry. My bad. I thought I was still in the Simon Mall thread. I've deleted my earlier comment.

d.s. knight Aug 28, 2015 7:40 am

Read the entire wiki and several pages of posts but just want to verify I haven't missed anything. Have a BB acct, about to convert to a Serve with the goal of helping me meet spending requirement on Amex Delta Skymiles card. As it is not one of the cards specifically mentioned in the wiki, I believe that I will be able to use Serve for meeting spending requirements but will not earn any actual Skymiles for Serve loads. Before I pull the trigger hoping someone could confirm whether that understanding is correct and/or confirm whether they've used Amex Delta Skymiles specifically in this way. Thank you very much for any insight and I apologize if I missed this answer somewhere.

mh1361 Aug 28, 2015 8:02 am

Originally Posted by d.s. knight (Post 25341596)
Read the entire wiki and several pages of posts but just want to verify I haven't missed anything. Have a BB acct, about to convert to a Serve with the goal of helping me meet spending requirement on Amex Delta Skymiles card. As it is not one of the cards specifically mentioned in the wiki, I believe that I will be able to use Serve for meeting spending requirements but will not earn any actual Skymiles for Serve loads. Before I pull the trigger hoping someone could confirm whether that understanding is correct and/or confirm whether they've used Amex Delta Skymiles specifically in this way. Thank you very much for any insight and I apologize if I missed this answer somewhere.

Yes you can do use Serve to meet the min spend on your Amex Delta Skymiles card.

djschni Aug 28, 2015 9:31 pm

No Option to reload Serve

I just activated my serve card this month after switching from Bluebird. Every time I try to load my card at WM, the CSR is kicked out at a little slip prints with the balance.

For clarification, the CSR is definitely pressing action 70, and she told me that the option to reload isn't showing up on her screen and it boots her out of the process. Has anyone had a similar experience and how was it resolved?

Mamibear Aug 29, 2015 7:18 am

Originally Posted by djschni (Post 25345198)
I just activated my serve card this month after switching from Bluebird. Every time I try to load my card at WM, the CSR is kicked out at a little slip prints with the balance.

For clarification, the CSR is definitely pressing action 70, and she told me that the option to reload isn't showing up on her screen and it boots her out of the process. Has anyone had a similar experience and how was it resolved?

if they're pressing action 70, try asking them to press 70+action code and see if that works, followed by prompt to enter account. then press 1 to LOAD. as of last night that code still worked at the register to load BB and Serve for me.