FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Serve - Another Paypal/Amazon payments (2015) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1644834-serve-another-paypal-amazon-payments-2015-a.html)

Mattymess Aug 25, 2015 8:35 pm

Does anyone have experience with debit cards not reading on the walmart register card reader? I bought 8eight $200 GCs from Staples and only four of them were readable. The other four refuse to read and instead, show an "unable to read card" message not matter how many times I scan the card. I even tried the old "wrap the card in a plastic bag" trick to no avail.

I also don't have the staples receipt anymore, so I'm not sure I can go back and try to get new cards.

Am I SOL here?

Werewolfdad Aug 25, 2015 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by Mattymess (Post 25328352)
Does anyone have experience with debit cards not reading on the walmart register card reader? I bought 8eight $200 GCs from Staples and only four of them were readable. The other four refuse to read and instead, show an "unable to read card" message not matter how many times I scan the card. I even tried the old "wrap the card in a plastic bag" trick to no avail.

I also don't have the staples receipt anymore, so I'm not sure I can go back and try to get new cards.

Am I SOL here?

Did you try swiping up instead of down?

Mattymess Aug 25, 2015 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by Werewolfdad (Post 25328392)
Did you try swiping up instead of down?

I've gone three times to try different registers, but I honestly don't know if I tried swiping up. Did you have some shoddy cards and swiping up worked for you?

Phantom707 Aug 25, 2015 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by Mattymess (Post 25328352)

Am I SOL here?

First, always keep receipts.

Second, try contacting customer support to see if they'll send you replacement cards because those are damaged.

Finally, at worst, use them for online purchases.

Mattymess Aug 25, 2015 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by Phantom707 (Post 25328407)

Second, try contacting customer support to see if they'll send you replacement cards because those are damaged.

Finally, at worst, use them for online purchases.

Yeah, I'm kicking myself for not keeping the receipts :mad:

Getting a replacement was my next move...I'm just impatient and hate to have to wait who knows how long for a replacement. Live and learn I suppose...

godsquare Aug 26, 2015 5:36 am

My serve bill payment that was delivered yesterday does not show up on my AMEX online account as of now. So far all of my payment posted around midnight or so ET. This is the first time that the payment does not post in the morning.

Edit: Payment posted around 10am ET. New record ...

cdancer20 Aug 26, 2015 8:25 am

Originally Posted by Phantom707 (Post 25328407)

Originally Posted by Mattymess (Post 25328416)
Yeah, I'm kicking myself for not keeping the receipts :mad:

Getting a replacement was my next move...I'm just impatient and hate to have to wait who knows how long for a replacement. Live and learn I suppose...

No need to be mad. I assume that you paid for the Staples Gift Cards with a credit card? If so, you can easily go back to same Staples and give them the date of your purchase and credit card. They can locate the purchase in the system and print you out a duplicate receipt.

ericdabbs Aug 26, 2015 8:50 am

Wow just got off the phone with risk dept and it went better than I thought. Wasn't grilled or anything. On the call they let me know that they blocked the card because of an attempted purchase of >$1K (which it was not...technically $999.99) and said that the system blocks transactions of >$1K and to be careful about that. Right after that they told me that the card is now unblocked.

GunneRy Aug 26, 2015 9:40 am

Anyone have any luck loading TD cards (Aeroplan) for MS on Serve?

It's not in the wiki....

CRNA Aug 26, 2015 9:41 am

If I want to get serve, does it make sense to just get the normal serve card or do the other cards offer better benefits?

NoonRadar Aug 26, 2015 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by ericdabbs (Post 25330322)
Wow just got off the phone with risk dept and it went better than I thought. Wasn't grilled or anything. On the call they let me know that they blocked the card because of an attempted purchase of >$1K (which it was not...technically $999.99) and said that the system blocks transactions of >$1K and to be careful about that. Right after that they told me that the card is now unblocked.

Which card/bank was this about?

michael_v Aug 26, 2015 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by NoonRadar (Post 25331846)

Sounds like the T-Mobile prepaid card.

bulls71986 Aug 26, 2015 2:55 pm

So I assume this has been discussed but I just found this out yesterday...You can no longer manufacture with online loads from your amex card? I noticed I didn't receive the reward pts from 2 months ago, called in asking what happened and they advised loads with your CC will not get rewards pts. Is everyone just loading them with good ol fashion GCs?

ericdabbs Aug 26, 2015 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by bulls71986 (Post 25332301)
So I assume this has been discussed but I just found this out yesterday...You can no longer manufacture with online loads from your amex card? I noticed I didn't receive the reward pts from 2 months ago, called in asking what happened and they advised loads with your CC will not get rewards pts. Is everyone just loading them with good ol fashion GCs?

Its been in the wiki since forever that Amex online loads never did earn points but helps meet min spend. You cannot do online loads with VGCs for debit or credit. You will be flagged. All your answers have been in the wiki and not due to recent events.

From the wiki
Online Credit Card Loads
Treated as purchase, but doesn't earn points/miles:
American Express issued (Counts toward minimum spend -- see post #434)

Online Debit Card Loads
For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. While initial transactions may work, your account will eventually be flagged.

ericdabbs Aug 26, 2015 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by NoonRadar (Post 25331846)

Originally Posted by michael_v (Post 25331962)
Sounds like the T-Mobile prepaid card.

Yes sorry I posted in the wrong thread. Yes this was for the Tmobile prepaid card. I thought I was in the right thread when i posted it.